Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Did I fry the monitor

Did I fry the monitor

philo

"smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello again,
>
> I was working on a customer's computer the other day, swapping out modems,
> network cards, etc. After each time that I shut the computer down, I
> unplugged all of the peripherals, the power, etc. But I left the monitor
> on, while I unplugged and plugged the monitor cable from and to the VGA
> port.
>
> You know where this is going.
>
> After about the third or 4th reboot, the monitor stopped working. I shut

it
> off, and on again, the light just blinks, and keeps blinking.

I've been plugging and unplugging live monitors for many years and have
never
had the slightest problem...
Unless you hit it with a static electricity burst...it should not have been
harmed

kony

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 20:36:13 GMT, Mister
<not_a_chance@this_email_address.com> wrote:

>>I'd think it more likely the monitor suffered ESD damage, if
>>you had actually unplugged the computer power cord (thus
>>removing it's grounding).
>>
>>I've unplugged monitors still powered far too many times to
>>count, but there is some significant info missing like what
>>monitor this was.

>Most monitors are grounded by their own 3-prong power cord, and I say
>most, because if I say all, I'm sure someone will tell me there is a
>monitor located in the far reaches of the world that is not grounded
>by it's own power cord.

That doesn't necessarily protect a monitor from ESD damage,
if the discharge is not to the connector shell or other
ground point on it.

Actually a ground on a device can even be an (enabler if not
really the "cause") of ESD damage, because it provides the
critical lower potential, path for this high voltage to
travel. The only remaining question is which parts of the
monitor would it cross on it's way to ground. It may be an
unlikely scenario, but then this kind of damage to a powered
monitor doesn't usually happen either, so "something" is
different.

Mister

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 20:24:59 -0500, kony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 20:36:13 GMT, Mister
><not_a_chance@this_email_address.com> wrote:
>

>>>I'd think it more likely the monitor suffered ESD damage, if
>>>you had actually unplugged the computer power cord (thus
>>>removing it's grounding).
>>>
>>>I've unplugged monitors still powered far too many times to
>>>count, but there is some significant info missing like what
>>>monitor this was.

>>Most monitors are grounded by their own 3-prong power cord, and I say
>>most, because if I say all, I'm sure someone will tell me there is a
>>monitor located in the far reaches of the world that is not grounded
>>by it's own power cord.

>That doesn't necessarily protect a monitor from ESD damage,
>if the discharge is not to the connector shell or other
>ground point on it.
>
>Actually a ground on a device can even be an (enabler if not
>really the "cause") of ESD damage, because it provides the
>critical lower potential, path for this high voltage to
>travel. The only remaining question is which parts of the
>monitor would it cross on it's way to ground. It may be an
>unlikely scenario, but then this kind of damage to a powered
>monitor doesn't usually happen either, so "something" is
>different.

We could go on and on about ESD, but the fact is that unless the pins
were touched, I doubt that ESD played a factor in damaging the
monitor. I can't remember the last time I "accidentally" touched the
pins on a monitor connector while removing it from the back of a
computer.
ESP says you would have a better chance of ESD causing a fire while
pumping gas, which would require an EMT, than ESD damaging a monitor.

GlowingBlueMist

"smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello again,
>
> I was working on a customer's computer the other day, swapping out modems,
> network cards, etc. After each time that I shut the computer down, I
> unplugged all of the peripherals, the power, etc. But I left the monitor
> on, while I unplugged and plugged the monitor cable from and to the VGA
> port.
>
> You know where this is going.
>
> After about the third or 4th reboot, the monitor stopped working. I shut
> it off, and on again, the light just blinks, and keeps blinking.
>
> Did I fry the monitor, by leaving it on while I was plugging and
> unplugging it?
>
> The analogy that I'm about to offer my customer, whose eyebrow is now
> raised, is from one of Richard Pryor's comedy skits, when he talked about
> his father suffering a fatal heart attack while having sex with a woman
> thirty years younger than he. "He came and went, at the same time".
> I.e., the heart attack was probably due, and while the activity may have
> catalyzed the heart attack, it didn't actually cause it.
>
> Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> smackedass

I have had a loose pin that would slide back into the connector when plugged
into a computer, to say nothing about bent pins. Try pushing lightly on
each pin and see if one of them slides back into the connector. If it does
a light pull with needle nose pliers usually clicks it back into place.

Rod Speed

GlowingBlueMist <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Hello again,
>>
>> I was working on a customer's computer the other day, swapping out
>> modems, network cards, etc. After each time that I shut the
>> computer down, I unplugged all of the peripherals, the power, etc. But I left the monitor on,
>> while I unplugged and plugged the monitor
>> cable from and to the VGA port.
>>
>> You know where this is going.
>>
>> After about the third or 4th reboot, the monitor stopped working. I
>> shut it off, and on again, the light just blinks, and keeps blinking.
>>
>> Did I fry the monitor, by leaving it on while I was plugging and
>> unplugging it?
>>
>> The analogy that I'm about to offer my customer, whose eyebrow is now
>> raised, is from one of Richard Pryor's comedy skits, when he talked
>> about his father suffering a fatal heart attack while having sex
>> with a woman thirty years younger than he. "He came and went, at
>> the same time". I.e., the heart attack was probably due, and while
>> the activity may have catalyzed the heart attack, it didn't actually
>> cause it.

>> Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

> I have had a loose pin that would slide back into the connector when plugged into a computer,

You dont get nothing on the screen in that case.

> to say nothing about bent pins. Try pushing lightly on each pin and see if one of them slides
> back into the connector. If it does a light pull with needle nose pliers usually clicks it back
> into place.

smackedass

> It happened on your watch. Replace your customer's monitor,
> free of charge.

I just spoke to him on the phone, I actually seem to be more upset about it
than he is. But, I am going to offer to give him a $100 credit off of his
bill. The monitor is a Dell SE177FP, and it retails at $179 brand spanking
new. I don't think he won't be satisfied.

sa

smackedass

>I don't think its fried. Are you sure the problem doesn't lie in the card?
> Some monitors leds blink when a video signal isn't detected. Also check
> for
> bent or missing pins. I've seen that happen more than once!

I tried the monitor with another computer and cable. That was my hope, also.

sa

smackedass

Also, try a different monitor on the
> customers computer. CORRECTED... If the monitor doesn't work, it is
> not a monitor problem.

Another monitor does work on his computer. And the fried monitor doesn't
work on another computer. No go. Sorry to say.

sa

kony

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 15:53:21 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Actually a ground on a device can even be an (enabler if not
>> really the "cause") of ESD damage, because it provides the
>> critical lower potential, path for this high voltage to
>> travel. The only remaining question is which parts of the
>> monitor would it cross on it's way to ground. It may be an
>> unlikely scenario, but then this kind of damage to a powered
>> monitor doesn't usually happen either, so "something" is
>> different.

> You do know that the video inputs have internal 75 ohm termination to
>match the video board's output impedance, and that the other lines have
>higher values, but are terminated? The least protected is the serial
>data and clock lines used for P-N-P monitor ID EEROM. (The 24C08 is
>typical memory for this)

How effective do you feel 75 Ohms will be against thousands
of volts?

I'm not claiming we can assume it was ESD damage, only that
"something" sure as heck killed this monitor and that
something appears to be plugging and unplugging while on.
What do you think happened?

smackedass

> What do you think happened?

Please see my original post, and review the Richard Pryor analogy.

sa