Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > memory upgrade

memory upgrade

-D-

Hello,

I have a ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard with 1GB of memory (2 modules in
DIMM A1 and DIMM B1 512MB each).

I want to make sure I get the right memory and get the best bang for my
buck.

Currently the two memory modules I have are:

CORSAIR TWINX 512MB 400MHz CL2
CMX512 -3200C2PT
XMS3202v5.1
0503014-4

I want to upgrade my memory and was looking on newegg.com. What
configurations can the board support? The board supports 4GB of memory and
I was thinking I could remove the current two modules and get 4 1GB modules
for a total of 4GB? However, I read that if you install 4GB, only about 3GB
(or less if you have dual video cards in SLI mode) will be available due to
reserved address space in 32bit Windows. I am intending to get a second
video card so I can have SLI. Would 4GB of memory be a waste if it's not
avaible due to reserved space in 32bit Windows? Would an additional two
512MB chips be a better choice? Here is the memory I was looking at:

The motherboard guide has a qualified vendor list, but the latest memory
isn't included on the list, so I want to get input on the supported memory I
should get and the optimium memory configuration.

Would this be a significant performance increase when working with graphics
programs...photoshop, illustrator, and programming packages...i.e. Visual
Studio.NET. I'm not a gamer.

I'm also looking to get new SATA drives, but I wanted to get the memory
first.

Any recommendations and help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Jammer

M÷nžig˝or ▀oddoM wrote:
> -D- wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard with 1GB of memory (2 modules in
>> DIMM A1 and DIMM B1 512MB each).
>>
>> I want to make sure I get the right memory and get the best bang for my
>> buck.
>>
>> Currently the two memory modules I have are:
>>
>> CORSAIR TWINX 512MB 400MHz CL2
>> CMX512 -3200C2PT
>> XMS3202v5.1
>> 0503014-4
>>
>> I want to upgrade my memory and was looking on newegg.com. What
>> configurations can the board support? The board supports 4GB of
>> memory and
>> I was thinking I could remove the current two modules and get 4 1GB
>> modules
>> for a total of 4GB? However, I read that if you install 4GB, only
>> about 3GB
>> (or less if you have dual video cards in SLI mode) will be available
>> due to
>> reserved address space in 32bit Windows. I am intending to get a second
>> video card so I can have SLI. Would 4GB of memory be a waste if it's not
>> avaible due to reserved space in 32bit Windows? Would an additional two
>> 512MB chips be a better choice? Here is the memory I was looking at:
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145450
>>
>> The motherboard guide has a qualified vendor list, but the latest memory
>> isn't included on the list, so I want to get input on the supported
>> memory I
>> should get and the optimium memory configuration.
>>
>> Would this be a significant performance increase when working with
>> graphics
>> programs...photoshop, illustrator, and programming packages...i.e. Visual
>> Studio.NET. I'm not a gamer.
>>
>> I'm also looking to get new SATA drives, but I wanted to get the memory
>> first.
>>
>> Any recommendations and help is appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

> http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

I would get two more 512s.

Without ECC, a 1GB chip errors too often.