Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Taking the A+ soon ...

Taking the A+ soon ...

Sergio Nova

Hi guys !

Just joined this newsgroup and it's brilliant !

Been through the "beast" (Michael Meyers All in One A+) and I'm doing all
the mock tests I can find around ... I was going to give myself a month
before taking the exams ...

To be honest I'm a little nervous (tests always made me nervous) and I was
wondering if you have a word of advise (or courage) for this newbie in the
business ...

Many thanks in advance,

Serg

JohnO

> To be honest I'm a little nervous (tests always made me nervous) and I was
> wondering if you have a word of advise (or courage) for this newbie in the
> business ...

Relax...seriously. If you have any experience servicing PCs
professionally you will be fine.

Which exam are you taking, the 2003 or 2006?

-John O

Patrick Q

"JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

>> To be honest I'm a little nervous (tests always made me nervous) and I
>> was
>> wondering if you have a word of advise (or courage) for this newbie in
>> the
>> business ...

> Relax...seriously. If you have any experience servicing PCs
> professionally you will be fine.
>
> Which exam are you taking, the 2003 or 2006?
>
> -John O

I really hate tests too.... I always try to over think the questions and I
know I shouldn't.

Just do those practice tests....they help.

Hardware seemed to be easier for me than Software....my first 5 questions
were on Windows 2000. Ugh.

I HATE the "Pick Two" questions.... I always over think those.

I spent an hour or so memorizing IRQ's and COM port settings, then I never
really needed them, but others day they got bombarded with those...so, it's
a crap shoot. There is a big pool of questions that the computer picks
from...

PLEASE, let us know your progress!

Patrick.

Sergio Nova

Hi John !!

I'll be taking the 2006 (or so I'm told) ... I'm on my 30's and IT has been
a long passion. From my ZX spectrum up to my Athlon Duo I have been the
unofficial IT support for work and friends so I was hoping for some good
results ...

Thankx for your words John !

Serg
"JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

>> To be honest I'm a little nervous (tests always made me nervous) and I
>> was
>> wondering if you have a word of advise (or courage) for this newbie in
>> the
>> business ...

> Relax...seriously. If you have any experience servicing PCs
> professionally you will be fine.
>
> Which exam are you taking, the 2003 or 2006?
>
> -John O

Sergio Nova

mmmm I always thought hardware would be more difficult than software ...
Your comment is making me feel much better Pat ....

I''ll have to hammer those IRQ and COM's port settings ...

Thankx Pat !!!

"Patrick Q" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>>
>>> To be honest I'm a little nervous (tests always made me nervous) and I
>>> was
>>> wondering if you have a word of advise (or courage) for this newbie in
>>> the
>>> business ...

>> Relax...seriously. If you have any experience servicing PCs
>> professionally you will be fine.
>>
>> Which exam are you taking, the 2003 or 2006?
>>
>> -John O
>>

> I really hate tests too.... I always try to over think the questions and I
> know I shouldn't.
>
> Just do those practice tests....they help.
>
> Hardware seemed to be easier for me than Software....my first 5 questions
> were on Windows 2000. Ugh.
>
> I HATE the "Pick Two" questions.... I always over think those.
>
> I spent an hour or so memorizing IRQ's and COM port settings, then I never
> really needed them, but others day they got bombarded with those...so,
> it's a crap shoot. There is a big pool of questions that the computer
> picks from...
>
> PLEASE, let us know your progress!
>
> Patrick.

Sergio Nova

Ooops, thankx John !!!! (Sorry called you Pat!

P.S.- Will keep you informed and I hope you don't mind mind me asking
questions from time to time ....

"JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

>> To be honest I'm a little nervous (tests always made me nervous) and I
>> was
>> wondering if you have a word of advise (or courage) for this newbie in
>> the
>> business ...

> Relax...seriously. If you have any experience servicing PCs
> professionally you will be fine.
>
> Which exam are you taking, the 2003 or 2006?
>
> -John O

Patrick Q

I think you had it right to begin with....

I just did better on Hardware, MAYBE cause it was my second test and I was
more used to the format or I just had more experience. Who knows???

It's a little room....all I can hear is my heart beating and my hands are
sweaty!

Like I said, I hate tests.....ugh.

"Sergio Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> mmmm I always thought hardware would be more difficult than software ...
> Your comment is making me feel much better Pat ....
>
> I''ll have to hammer those IRQ and COM's port settings ...
>
> Thankx Pat !!!
>
> "Patrick Q" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> "JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

>>> Relax...seriously. If you have any experience servicing PCs
>>> professionally you will be fine.
>>>
>>> Which exam are you taking, the 2003 or 2006?
>>>
>>> -John O
>>>

>> I really hate tests too.... I always try to over think the questions and
>> I know I shouldn't.
>>
>> Just do those practice tests....they help.
>>
>> Hardware seemed to be easier for me than Software....my first 5 questions
>> were on Windows 2000. Ugh.
>>
>> I HATE the "Pick Two" questions.... I always over think those.
>>
>> I spent an hour or so memorizing IRQ's and COM port settings, then I
>> never really needed them, but others day they got bombarded with
>> those...so, it's a crap shoot. There is a big pool of questions that the
>> computer picks from...
>>
>> PLEASE, let us know your progress!
>>
>> Patrick.

Sergio Nova

Hahahahhahaaaaa

Can't wait to get into that little room, sweaty hands, stuff ....
aaaahhhrrrgggg

>I think you had it right to begin with....
>
> I just did better on Hardware, MAYBE cause it was my second test and I was
> more used to the format or I just had more experience. Who knows???
>
> It's a little room....all I can hear is my heart beating and my hands are
> sweaty!
>
> Like I said, I hate tests.....ugh.
>

> "Sergio Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> mmmm I always thought hardware would be more difficult than software ...
>> Your comment is making me feel much better Pat ....
>>
>> I''ll have to hammer those IRQ and COM's port settings ...
>>
>> Thankx Pat !!!
>>
>> "Patrick Q" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

>>> I really hate tests too.... I always try to over think the questions and
>>> I know I shouldn't.
>>>
>>> Just do those practice tests....they help.
>>>
>>> Hardware seemed to be easier for me than Software....my first 5
>>> questions were on Windows 2000. Ugh.
>>>
>>> I HATE the "Pick Two" questions.... I always over think those.
>>>
>>> I spent an hour or so memorizing IRQ's and COM port settings, then I
>>> never really needed them, but others day they got bombarded with
>>> those...so, it's a crap shoot. There is a big pool of questions that
>>> the computer picks from...
>>>
>>> PLEASE, let us know your progress!
>>>
>>> Patrick.

JohnO

Sergio Nova wrote:
> Hi John !!
>
> I'll be taking the 2006 (or so I'm told) ... I'm on my 30's and IT has been
> a long passion. From my ZX spectrum up to my Athlon Duo I have been the
> unofficial IT support for work and friends so I was hoping for some good
> results ...
>
> Thankx for your words John !

You're welcome. Sounds like you have some experience, so that's a huge
benefit. There are probably some areas on the exams you aren't familiar
with, and any decent test prep will identify those. Might be printers,
or IP addressing, or maybe the new professionalism stuff. You can
easily find resources for the first two, but the professionalism
question are hard to study, there's no good material out there for the
types of questions they're asking. In fact, some of the questions IMO
cannot be answered with complete certainty. So, do as well as you can
on the tech questions and choose "the best answer" for the rest.

-John O

Sergio Nova

Thankx for the advice John !

I'll try to find out as much as I can about the "Profesionalism" bit ...
(And carry on with the rest).

Cheers,

Serg

"JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Sergio Nova wrote:
>> Hi John !!
>>
>> I'll be taking the 2006 (or so I'm told) ... I'm on my 30's and IT has
>> been
>> a long passion. From my ZX spectrum up to my Athlon Duo I have been the
>> unofficial IT support for work and friends so I was hoping for some good
>> results ...
>>
>> Thankx for your words John !

> You're welcome. Sounds like you have some experience, so that's a huge
> benefit. There are probably some areas on the exams you aren't familiar
> with, and any decent test prep will identify those. Might be printers,
> or IP addressing, or maybe the new professionalism stuff. You can
> easily find resources for the first two, but the professionalism
> question are hard to study, there's no good material out there for the
> types of questions they're asking. In fact, some of the questions IMO
> cannot be answered with complete certainty. So, do as well as you can
> on the tech questions and choose "the best answer" for the rest.
>
> -John O

USB wireless not starting soon enough? Philip Colmer Wireless Networking 4 09-12-2005 01:32 PM
SSL VPN for PIX coming soon? you know who maybe Cisco 4 02-05-2005 07:10 AM
Big Install Problem and Can't Shut Down Computer - Can SomeoneHelp Soon??? MB Firefox 2 08-26-2004 06:36 AM
New Pix software soon? BG Cisco 0 05-27-2004 07:16 PM
Difference in module_eval taking block vs. taking string (1.8 bug?) Jim Cain Ruby 1 07-18-2003 02:01 AM

Advertisments