Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > SATA question

SATA question

Josh Higgs

I want to get a new motherboard and was wondering, and can't seem to find
the answer, would a SATA II be backwards compatible with a SATA hard drive?

Josh Higgs

JohnO

Josh Higgs wrote:
> I want to get a new motherboard and was wondering, and can't seem to find
> the answer, would a SATA II be backwards compatible with a SATA hard drive?

Right, same thing but the II is just potentially faster. The cool thing
to look for is an eSATA port. This will allow you to have external
drives running at the raw speed of the SATA port/hdd. IOW, way faster
than USB or Firewire will *ever* run. And, 2 meter cables are possible.

-John O

JohnO

According to two sources (Wiki and Mueller's 17th), SATA II is 3 Gb/s,
(300 MB/s) and Firewire 800 is 800 Mb/s (100 MB/s).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA

Although, they both could be wrong.

-John O

Barry Watzman wrote:
> SATA is 150 and 300 Mbps. Firewire and USB2 are 400 and 480Mbps. It's
> not at all clear that eSATA is "way faster".
>
> JohnO wrote:
> >
> > The cool thing
> > to look for is an eSATA port. This will allow you to have external
> > drives running at the raw speed of the SATA port/hdd. IOW, way faster
> > than USB or Firewire will *ever* run. And, 2 meter cables are possible.
> >

> > -John O

JohnO

....I'm actually glad you questioned it because it made me double
check...never trust Wiki absolutely. I'd really hate to put a mistake
like that in a book.

-John O