Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > A+ Hardware Test 2003

A+ Hardware Test 2003

Patrick Q

I've passed the OS test, now my Hardware test is this Monday....

Any tips or hints???? Areas of study????

Any help in my prep would be appreciated!

Pat

JohnO

Mister wrote:
> A shot of JD and a beer afterwards always works for me.
>
> It's perty broad... IRQs, connectors, etc. If you can put a computer
> together and make it work without a manual, you will be fine.
>
> I think somebody in here said their dog could do it, however, I've yet
> to see video of that, nor the certificate with the name Rover on it.

LOL, that was me. It was in response to a guy who said his 9-year old
could pass it. If that kid can pass then so can my dog.

Seriously, the test isn't as easy as that, but Mister is right. If you
have a good foundation of skills, and you've read any A+ books or those
like Minasi or Mueller, you're fine.

Another poster recently mentioned a bunch of
Communications/Professionalism questions he saw on the 2003 exams.
Those questions, if present, are being beta tested for eventual
placement on the 2006 exams, and _they_do_not_count_ towards your
score. What I'd do is mark those questions and only go back to answer
them after you have answered the questions that _do_ count. No sense
wasting time with them, they won't help you pass right now.

If you find the test easy, then definitely pay attention to those
questions. Some of them are tough.

-John O

Patrick Q

I'm not above answering all the questions...that's what they are there for.
My luck, I'd blow off a question and then it would end up counting against
me.

I just don't do well with tests... I get in a hurry.

Thanks for any and all help.

"JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Mister wrote:
>> A shot of JD and a beer afterwards always works for me.
>>
>> It's perty broad... IRQs, connectors, etc. If you can put a computer
>> together and make it work without a manual, you will be fine.
>>
>> I think somebody in here said their dog could do it, however, I've yet
>> to see video of that, nor the certificate with the name Rover on it.
>>

> LOL, that was me. It was in response to a guy who said his 9-year old
> could pass it. If that kid can pass then so can my dog.
>
> Seriously, the test isn't as easy as that, but Mister is right. If you
> have a good foundation of skills, and you've read any A+ books or those
> like Minasi or Mueller, you're fine.
>
> Another poster recently mentioned a bunch of
> Communications/Professionalism questions he saw on the 2003 exams.
> Those questions, if present, are being beta tested for eventual
> placement on the 2006 exams, and _they_do_not_count_ towards your
> score. What I'd do is mark those questions and only go back to answer
> them after you have answered the questions that _do_ count. No sense
> wasting time with them, they won't help you pass right now.
>
> If you find the test easy, then definitely pay attention to those
> questions. Some of them are tough.
>
> -John O

smackedass

> I think somebody in here said their dog could do it, however, I've yet
> to see video of that, nor the certificate with the name Rover on it.

Heh, heh...good 'n...

smackedass

JohnO

Patrick Q wrote:
> I'm not above answering all the questions...that's what they are there for.
> My luck, I'd blow off a question and then it would end up counting against
> me.
>
> I just don't do well with tests... I get in a hurry.

I understand, and that's why I want to clarify this for you. The
questions I'm referring to go like this:

Q. The customer needs a new hard drive but cannot understand your
description of the problem. What should you do?
A. Call the clue train
B. Ask if the customer has a teenage son who can translate
C. Explain the disk space overhead required by the NTFS5 MFT with XP
SP-2
D. Figure out how to describe the problem in English, you freekin' geek

The unscored questions will be about what you say to a customer or how
you act when put in an awkward position of some sort. They don't cover
Windows or hardware or troubleshooting. This specific type of question
is not scored if you're taking the 2003 exams, and they should get a
very low priority on your time. Some of these questions will be
dead-easy, but some of them are 50-50 with two of the answers.

And I absolutely agree that if you're not sure then answer it
seriously.

-John O

Glenn

I don't know about a dog, but a caveman could do it.