Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > SVGA monitor extension question

SVGA monitor extension question

SBFan2000

Just set up a radio station for a friend and we had to use an extension
cable to get the monitor where it needed to go. Of course we got ghosting
because of this and we also got alot of interference when all the equipment
was powered on. I've seen this before and I used a powered digital KVM
switch (which I needed anyway) to fix the problem!

I'm wondering if there is a cheaper way of doing this. They don't need a
KVM switch so the $70 I spent on mine seems excessive. Thier a very money
challenged church so trying to keep everything as cheap as possible!
Wondering if their is an extension cable that is both very well sheilded and
has a AMP build in!

Glenn

Your problem is not shielding. but signal loss. Six feet is about all
you can do reliably

SBFan2000 wrote:
> Just set up a radio station for a friend and we had to use an extension
> cable to get the monitor where it needed to go. Of course we got ghosting
> because of this and we also got alot of interference when all the equipment
> was powered on. I've seen this before and I used a powered digital KVM
> switch (which I needed anyway) to fix the problem!
>
> I'm wondering if there is a cheaper way of doing this. They don't need a
> KVM switch so the $70 I spent on mine seems excessive. Thier a very money
> challenged church so trying to keep everything as cheap as possible!
> Wondering if their is an extension cable that is both very well sheilded and
> has a AMP build in!

SBFan2000

Not that signal loss couldn't be part of it but turning off the radio
equipment got read of almost all of it!

"Glenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QXKfh.8264$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Your problem is not shielding. but signal loss. Six feet is about all
> you can do reliably
>
> SBFan2000 wrote:
> > Just set up a radio station for a friend and we had to use an extension
> > cable to get the monitor where it needed to go. Of course we got

ghosting
> > because of this and we also got alot of interference when all the

equipment
> > was powered on. I've seen this before and I used a powered digital KVM
> > switch (which I needed anyway) to fix the problem!
> >
> > I'm wondering if there is a cheaper way of doing this. They don't need

> > KVM switch so the $70 I spent on mine seems excessive. Thier a very

money
> > challenged church so trying to keep everything as cheap as possible!
> > Wondering if their is an extension cable that is both very well sheilded

and
> > has a AMP build in!

Patrick Q

When I worked at a radio station, some of the wires had to be in a copper
mesh tube to prevent RF interference... could be the same here?

"SBFan2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Not that signal loss couldn't be part of it but turning off the radio
> equipment got read of almost all of it!
>

> "Glenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:QXKfh.8264$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Your problem is not shielding. but signal loss. Six feet is about all
>> you can do reliably
>>
>> SBFan2000 wrote:
>> > Just set up a radio station for a friend and we had to use an extension
>> > cable to get the monitor where it needed to go. Of course we got

> ghosting
>> > because of this and we also got alot of interference when all the

> equipment
>> > was powered on. I've seen this before and I used a powered digital KVM
>> > switch (which I needed anyway) to fix the problem!
>> >
>> > I'm wondering if there is a cheaper way of doing this. They don't need

>> > KVM switch so the $70 I spent on mine seems excessive. Thier a very

> money
>> > challenged church so trying to keep everything as cheap as possible!
>> > Wondering if their is an extension cable that is both very well
>> > sheilded

> and
>> > has a AMP build in!

SBFan2000

Thanks, I was actually wondering if that might help. Might have to give it
a try. I'm ordering a powered KVM hoping that it will fix this issue like
it did when I was having it on my home PC.

"Patrick Q" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> When I worked at a radio station, some of the wires had to be in a copper
> mesh tube to prevent RF interference... could be the same here?
>

> "SBFan2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Not that signal loss couldn't be part of it but turning off the radio
> > equipment got read of almost all of it!
> >

> > "Glenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:QXKfh.8264$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> >> Your problem is not shielding. but signal loss. Six feet is about all
> >> you can do reliably

extension

> > ghosting

> > equipment

KVM

need

> > money

> > and

Glenn

It could still be the radio equipment, but a strong radio interference
requires an even stronger video signal to overcome it. What kind of
radio equipment is it. I have amateur radio equipment right next to a
computer and don't have any problem.

SBFan2000 wrote:
> Not that signal loss couldn't be part of it but turning off the radio
> equipment got read of almost all of it!
>

> "Glenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:QXKfh.8264$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
>>Your problem is not shielding. but signal loss. Six feet is about all
>>you can do reliably
>>
>>SBFan2000 wrote:
>>
>>>Just set up a radio station for a friend and we had to use an extension
>>>cable to get the monitor where it needed to go. Of course we got

> ghosting
>
>>>because of this and we also got alot of interference when all the

> equipment
>
>>>was powered on. I've seen this before and I used a powered digital KVM
>>>switch (which I needed anyway) to fix the problem!
>>>
>>>I'm wondering if there is a cheaper way of doing this. They don't need

>>>KVM switch so the $70 I spent on mine seems excessive. Thier a very

> money
>
>>>challenged church so trying to keep everything as cheap as possible!
>>>Wondering if their is an extension cable that is both very well sheilded

> and
>
>>>has a AMP build in!

SBFan2000

I wouldn't consider it amatuer it cost like 30-40 gs.

news:Fw3gh.13307$(E-Mail Removed) et...

Buying a replacement Super VGA (SVGA) monitor tomhr@awesomenet.net Computer Support 4 11-20-2006 06:13 PM
SVGA to Composite? Me Computer Support 3 11-24-2005 09:00 AM
New extension? saw extension .emf is it safe to open Jer Computer Support 5 10-08-2005 04:43 PM
Monitor, Nec Multisync 29" CRT SVGA mike NZ Computing 6 03-28-2005 04:05 AM
Digital and SVGA connection to one monitor at the same time Mighty Magpie Computer Information 2 12-08-2003 03:09 PM

Advertisments