Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Connction drop

Connction drop

Puma

Here is an interesting question...I think.

My buddy has a Microsoft Network wireless router. He continues to
have a problem with droping his connection but only on his wired
connection. Meaning the CAT 5 running from the Router to the main
computer. The wireless portion does not have this problem.

He connect fine from his desktop, work for a couple of hours, go eat a
sandwich and come back to a dropped connection. He can then close
down his browser, restart and everything works.

I did a complete reinstall of his software (not because of this
problem, just annual house cleaning). Still same problem.

Now, I have connected it to my router...no problem

So I suspect a) cable
b) some setting in his router that I don't know about
c) bad router

Does anyone have any ideas on anything that I am over looking...I am
sure it is something simple.

TIA

AB

SBFan2000

I'm not a network professional but sounds to me like his router assigns
address via DHCP and it has a lease time.

"Puma" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here is an interesting question...I think.
>
> My buddy has a Microsoft Network wireless router. He continues to
> have a problem with droping his connection but only on his wired
> connection. Meaning the CAT 5 running from the Router to the main
> computer. The wireless portion does not have this problem.
>
> He connect fine from his desktop, work for a couple of hours, go eat a
> sandwich and come back to a dropped connection. He can then close
> down his browser, restart and everything works.
>
> I did a complete reinstall of his software (not because of this
> problem, just annual house cleaning). Still same problem.
>
> Now, I have connected it to my router...no problem
>
> So I suspect a) cable
> b) some setting in his router that I don't know about
> c) bad router
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on anything that I am over looking...I am
> sure it is something simple.
>
> TIA
>
> AB

smackedass

I did a Microsoft Networking job one time, and there was a bug that had to
be dealt with. The message that I saw was:

"Microsoft Broadband Networking has a known compatibility issue with this
version of Windows.* For an update that is compatible with this version of
Windows, contact Microsoft Broadband Networking"

(* OS was Windows XP HE)

Only after I downloaded a patch, sorry, don't remember where it was, but it
wasn't hard to find, was I able to set things up properly.

re SBFan2000's response, yes, it could be a DHCP lease timing out, but I
believe that most DHCP leases expire in days, not hours or minutes.

Best wishes,

smackedass

Glenn

Does he have a properly wired cable? are the green & green/white wires
properly split? Did he make his own enet cable or buy one. Did he buy
the rigght one there are 3-types.