Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Sluggish System Probs

Sluggish System Probs

TwistyCreek

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:33:44 GMT
Dave Hardenbrook <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a client who is experiencing "sluggish system" problems, but the
> symptoms are a bit odd. The system is generally slow only for about 20
> minutes or so after boot up and then clears up. During that first 20
> minutes, Task Manager reports that CPU usage is at 100% with a large
> portion of the CPU going into a SVCHost Process, though I can't
> determine what service might be the culprit.
>
> In addition, there are intermittant problems with the taskbar --
> sometimes the START button and Active Programs buttons are unresponsive;
> and intermittant instances of extreme delay between issuing a command
> and the command actually executing -- For example, Selecting "Print" in
> Word but the print job hanging around in the queue several minutes
> before actually going to the printer.
>

> Here is the system setup and things I've already checked.
>
> CPU: Celeron 1.3 GHz
> RAM: 248 MB
> HDD: 37 GB, 23 GB free
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> Internet: Wireless PPPoE
>

> Things I've Checked:
>
> Checked for Virii / Spyware: None.
> No HDD Errors.
> Disk Defrag'd.
>

> Things I suspect (but would like to know if I'm shooting in the dark):
>
> Problem with Registry
> RAM defect (why is it reporting 248 instead of 256 MB?)
> ISP / PPPoE hogging CPU (Problem started after switching to current ISP)
> Unknown TSR progs executing at startup
> Fragmented Swap File
>

> Any ideas where I should go from here?
>
> --
> Dave

Try disabling automatic update for Windows or anything else that might be
trying to access the internet at boot-up, such as an antivirus-update program.
Worked for me when I had similar problems on my laptop. But I would scan with
several malware/antivirus programs to make absolutely sure it was clean, in
case someting nasty is trying to get to the internet.

XP works fine on 256MB RAM, (it depends on what else you are running; I've even
run it with 64MB), and I didn't solve the problem by reinstalling Windows
(which I did for other reasons).

Having said that, I find XP more flaky than win2000. I only upgraded to prepare
for the OS exam and am considering switching back.