Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > What's the difference between autoexec.bat and config.sys

What's the difference between autoexec.bat and config.sys

Dandelion

What's the difference between autoexec.bat and config.sys?
Thanks.

Butterfield

On Tue, 02 May 2006 16:46:01 -0400, Dandelion
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What's the difference between autoexec.bat and config.sys?
>Thanks.

http://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm

-- Butterfield

Craig Davies

"Dandelion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's the difference between autoexec.bat and config.sys?
> Thanks.

Autoexec.bat:
Stands for automatically executed batch file, the file that DOS
automatically executes when a computer boots up. This is a convenient place
to put commands you always want to execute at the beginning of a computing
session. For example, you can set system parameters such as the date and
time, and install memory-resident programs.

Config.sys:
The configuration file for DOS systems. Whenever a DOS computer boots up, it
reads the CONFIG.SYS file (if it exists) and executes any commands in it.
The most common commands are BUFFERS= and FILES=, which enable you to
specify the buffer size and the number of files that can be open
simultaneously. In addition, you can enter commands that install drivers for
devices.

Source and text from - http://www.webopedia.com

Dandelion

On Wed, 3 May 2006 09:03:48 +0100, "Craig Davies"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Dandelion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> What's the difference between autoexec.bat and config.sys?
>> Thanks.

>Autoexec.bat:
>Stands for automatically executed batch file, the file that DOS
>automatically executes when a computer boots up. This is a convenient place
>to put commands you always want to execute at the beginning of a computing
>session. For example, you can set system parameters such as the date and
>time, and install memory-resident programs.
>
>Config.sys:
>The configuration file for DOS systems. Whenever a DOS computer boots up, it
>reads the CONFIG.SYS file (if it exists) and executes any commands in it.
>The most common commands are BUFFERS= and FILES=, which enable you to
>specify the buffer size and the number of files that can be open
>simultaneously. In addition, you can enter commands that install drivers for
>devices.
>
>Source and text from - http://www.webopedia.com

Other than commands that have to be run before certain other
commands, can I move some commands from config.sys into
autoexec.bat and vice versa?