Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Do you think price of tests Is too much?

Do you think price of tests Is too much?

Dsteenbock

After reading many posts here and seeing the general consensus Is that the
value of the A plus cert Is declining, do you think 300 bucks Is too pricey
to take the tests? If they knocked 50 bucks off each test, It might make It
more attractive for people to take It and might make more revenue In
increased volume.

Opinions?

SBFan2000

If they lowered the price it would just be that much more worthless.

Glenn

"Dsteenbock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> After reading many posts here and seeing the general consensus Is that the
> value of the A plus cert Is declining, do you think 300 bucks Is too

pricey
> to take the tests? If they knocked 50 bucks off each test, It might make

It
> more attractive for people to take It and might make more revenue In
> increased volume.
>
> Opinions?

Dsteenbock

All very good points

"SBFan2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> If they lowered the price it would just be that much more worthless.
>
> Glenn
>
> "Dsteenbock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> After reading many posts here and seeing the general consensus Is that
>> the
>> value of the A plus cert Is declining, do you think 300 bucks Is too

> pricey
>> to take the tests? If they knocked 50 bucks off each test, It might make

> It
>> more attractive for people to take It and might make more revenue In
>> increased volume.
>>
>> Opinions?

SBFan2000

exactly, My job I have now requires it and I didn't even know it. My boss
recently told me I was going to have to get it before my next toshiba tests.
I told him I already had it. Evidently he didn't look at my resume.

"Dave Hardenbrook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3Wx2g.4061$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Dsteenbock wrote:
> > After reading many posts here and seeing the general consensus Is that

the
> > value of the A plus cert Is declining, do you think 300 bucks Is too

pricey
> > to take the tests?

> If the tests are losing their value, why do I see so many job ads that
> say, "Must be A+ Certified"?
>
> --
> Dave

pgluth1

I think they should keep the prices of the tests the same - just improve
the tests, keep them more up-to-date, and make the certification more
worthwhile.

JohnO

Barry Watzman wrote:
> Keep in mind that the testing fees don't just pay the cost of you taking
> the tests; they pay the cost of the entire certification program,
> including administration and writing of the tests.

And that's not just CompTIA, either. The test site and either Prometric
or VUE also have their fingers in the pie, too. CompTIA is the biggest
share, and over the years they've used A+ revenue to grow from,
literally, five people in a cluttered office to a much larger
organization today.

There's almost no chance they are going to lower test fees. As it
stands now their educational branch, E2C, has enough trouble internally
justifying its special pricing for high schools.

If anyone is comparing to CompTIA to Microsoft, keep in mind that MS
uses its exams to sell product and can afford to "give away" exams.

-John O

Patty

On 24 Apr 2006 04:25:27 -0700, JohnO wrote:

> Barry Watzman wrote:
>> Keep in mind that the testing fees don't just pay the cost of you taking
>> the tests; they pay the cost of the entire certification program,
>> including administration and writing of the tests.
>>

> And that's not just CompTIA, either. The test site and either Prometric
> or VUE also have their fingers in the pie, too. CompTIA is the biggest
> share, and over the years they've used A+ revenue to grow from,
> literally, five people in a cluttered office to a much larger
> organization today.
>
> There's almost no chance they are going to lower test fees. As it
> stands now their educational branch, E2C, has enough trouble internally
> justifying its special pricing for high schools.
>
> If anyone is comparing to CompTIA to Microsoft, keep in mind that MS
> uses its exams to sell product and can afford to "give away" exams.
>
> -John O

CompTIA certifications are forever. Microsoft is only as good as for how
long the software is considered "current".

I find it interesting that I recently purchased two vouchers for my A+
tests for $140 total through the VoTech Center I attend.

Patty

JohnO

> I find it interesting that I recently purchased two vouchers for my A+
> tests for $140 total through the VoTech Center I attend.

That's because your school is part of the E2C (Education-2-Careers)
program at CompTIA. With this program, your school can purchase
vouchers in lots of ten (I think) at great prices.

-John O

MF

Yes. I started teaching A+ classes in 1998. Shortly thereafter, having
discovered the amount of disposable income most of my students had, I wrote
a letter to CompTIA suggesting they lower their prices. A friendly letter.
They ignored it. Then I wrote an angry letter. They ignored that, too.
Their prices have been too high for a long time, the writing of their test
questions has been wretched for a long time - and they are impervious to
complaints, even from people who have already paid the price and understood
the lousy writing - so they ain't gonna change.

One pleasant thought about their gouging: MSFT has begun encroaching ever so
slightly into their space. I generally object to MSFTs policy of embracing,
devouring, and digesting, and, um, eliminating, but in this case I kinda
hope MSFT will devour CompTIA and **** them out as wooden nickels.

Sadly, though, they won't. CompTia doesn't have anything they really need,
and money-wise comptia is worth no more than sticking a toe in the water, as
in publishing a security + text book and allowing a Comptia cert to qualify
as part of an MSFT cert. The embrace has begun, but I doubt it will go far.

Mike
A+
MCSE nt4
MCSE 2k
MCSE 2k3
AND as they say in spy movies, jeeez, i'm too old for this crap.

"Dsteenbock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> After reading many posts here and seeing the general consensus Is that the
> value of the A plus cert Is declining, do you think 300 bucks Is too
> pricey to take the tests? If they knocked 50 bucks off each test, It might
> make It more attractive for people to take It and might make more revenue
> In increased volume.
>
> Opinions?

JohnO

MF wrote:
> Yes. I started teaching A+ classes in 1998. Shortly thereafter, having
> discovered the amount of disposable income most of my students had, I wrote
> a letter to CompTIA suggesting they lower their prices. A friendly letter.
> They ignored it. Then I wrote an angry letter. They ignored that, too.
> Their prices have been too high for a long time, the writing of their test
> questions has been wretched for a long time - and they are impervious to
> complaints, even from people who have already paid the price and understood
> the lousy writing - so they ain't gonna change.

In about '97 I started telling people inside CompTIA that they needed
to give instructors free looks at the exams, and like you, severely
discounted vouchers for students. There were lots of us telling them
the same thing. It took until 2001 to roll out a program, and then for
a few years the resulting Jobs+ group was being flamed by other CompTIA
departments for undercutting exam revenues. I'm not making that up.

When the IT market deflated, they finally realized they needed to pay
attention to schools, but they missed the big opportunities anyway.

Watch for a major change in the A+ exam structure to be announced
Monday. Will the net price of the exams increase? We'll see.

-John O