Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Losing internet when using static IP

Losing internet when using static IP

Chad Richardson

Hello all,

Very interesting behaviour. I have set up my laptop with a static IP
(becuase it sits behind a router at the office) so that I can connect to it
from my home computer using remote desktop. Now I have taken my laptop home
for a few days and it connects fine to the wireless network at home (a
linksys wrt54G) but after a period of time, I lose connection to the
internet. The connection to the network is still in tack, but I cannot get
to the internet.

I also cannot ping internal network resources, like my other machine or even
the router itself (192.168.1.1). I haven't found a consistent way to restore
internet connectivity other than changing my connection to DHCP.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chad

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

I have a similar sounding problem:

I have a Belkin wireless router and Belkin card. When I boot up everything
is working fine, but after a period (5 mins or so), of using the internet or
playing online games I lose the internet connection.

The weird bit is that hovering over the Windows wireless connection icon in
the task bar, the connection speed is gradually reducing from 54Mb per second
to zero over this 5 minutes before it loses the connection and starts to
recconect.

All ideas appreciated...