Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Convert 128 bit WEP Key to Paraphrase?

Convert 128 bit WEP Key to Paraphrase?

smackedass

(I probably will cross-post this message to several different groups)

Hello,

A customer of mine connects her computer wirelessly to a Linksys WCG200-CC
Modem/Router. Recently, she had some sort of problem, and called tech
support at Comcast asking for help. The Comcast tech had her re-set the
modem/router (why, I don't know; her problem had to do with her email
spellcheck not working, which I solved in 2 seconds by re-enabling her
popups).

So, the modem/router lost its WEP key. At this point, my customer called
me, because she could no longer connect to the Internet. Once I figured out
what the heck was going on, I opened the modem/router's configuration
utility, created a new paraphrase, which generated a new WEP key. I have
the original key, but THERE IS NO APPARENT WAY TO CREATE THE KEY MANUALLY,
only by creating a new paraphrase. The WEP key field is not editable. So
now, she's able to connect to the Internet, but...

She's going to be going out of town, and while she is out of town, her
roommate, who is currently out of town, will be returning. She doesn't want
to create an unpleasant situation, and when her roommate returns, they're
not going to be able to connect to the Internet. Incidentally, the roommate
is the "sub-letter", as well as the owner of the modem/router, this may not
bode well.

So, enough of the soap opera; my operative question is:

Is there a conversion utility out there that will allow me to convert the
26-character WEP key into a paraphrase, so that I may go back to the
modem/router, enter the paraphrase, and make everything roses?

I Googled around with this for a little while, but nothing that I found
seemed to work.

Any responses will be much appreciated.

Thank you,

smackedass