Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > License? am I going to be beat for the activation key?

License? am I going to be beat for the activation key?

smackedass

This message has been cross-posted to at least one other NG

Hello,

A customer of mine has Microsoft Works installed onto their Dell Dimension
4300S, running Windows XP HE.

The computer is totally bolloxed up, and may need a reformat/re-install.
There is a valid Windows XP Pruduct Key attached to the case. The original,
proprietary Dell installation disks, three (3) in all, are here, also. So,
there is no problem
re-installing XP, properly and legally.

The customer has provided me with the disks, Works Suite 2002, disks 1 thru
5. Only, the disks are in their individual envelopes, and there is no
"service" or "activation" tag provided, with the envelopes, or the disks
themselves.

Certainly, I am able to set the computer up, but how can I know, before I
begin to know, if the Works installation will prompt me to enter a valid
"service" or "validation" number? Sometimes, they do, as I recall,
sometimes, they don't.

I am not looking to sabotage Microsoft's validation scheme, I only want to
know if I begin the proprietary Dell OS and then Works re-install, am I
going to be beat for the activation code, and then not able to activate
Works?

Can anyone point me in a direction?

Any responses will be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

smackedass

J. Clarke

smackedass wrote:

> This message has been cross-posted to at least one other NG
>
> Hello,
>
> A customer of mine has Microsoft Works installed onto their Dell Dimension
> 4300S, running Windows XP HE.
>
> The computer is totally bolloxed up, and may need a reformat/re-install.
> There is a valid Windows XP Pruduct Key attached to the case. The
> original,
> proprietary Dell installation disks, three (3) in all, are here, also.
> So, there is no problem
> re-installing XP, properly and legally.
>
> The customer has provided me with the disks, Works Suite 2002, disks 1
> thru
> 5. Only, the disks are in their individual envelopes, and there is no
> "service" or "activation" tag provided, with the envelopes, or the disks
> themselves.
>
> Certainly, I am able to set the computer up, but how can I know, before I
> begin to know, if the Works installation will prompt me to enter a valid
> "service" or "validation" number? Sometimes, they do, as I recall,
> sometimes, they don't.
>
> I am not looking to sabotage Microsoft's validation scheme, I only want to
> know if I begin the proprietary Dell OS and then Works re-install, am I
> going to be beat for the activation code, and then not able to activate
> Works?

It's going to want a product key that should be with the documentation
package, not with the disks themselves.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

John P. Dearing

Mister wrote:
> Because it is a Dell, depending on the age, if it is a newer Dell, you
> might be able to do a full system restore in about 10 minutes.
>
> When the Dell screen appears press and hold the <Ctrl> key on the
> keyboard, press the <F11> key, then release them both at the same
> time.
>
> I just performed this task this evening on a laptop that was really
> messed up.

Let me be one to second this approach.

I was presented with a Dell desktop that almost appeared to be "dead".
It woudl power on but wouldn't boot, wouldn't even recognize the hard drive.

I figured that I had nothing to lose by trying the "Ctrl-F11 System
Restore" option. In under 30 minutes I had the system back up and
running again. I had to reapply Service Packs and Critical Updates but
the system was fully functional again.

Unfortunately, it does wipe the disk before reinstalling, so you really
are "back to day one" as it were. All their personal data will be gone
after the restore.

I also had an HP desktop that has a similar "System Restore" function
that does a non-destructive reinstall of XP. That got that system stable
enough that I could then run the standard gamut of Anti-Malware
utilities against it ti finish cleaning up the mess their daughter had
made downloading music from the Internet.

Cheers!!

John
--
John P. Dearing
A+, Network+, Server+

smackedass

Thank you, to all who have responded.

You gave me lots of ideas, lots of things to think about, but most likely,
what is going to happen is that I'll follow the consensus, and just call
Dell! Even though that has its negative possibilities!

Sincerely,

smackedass