Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Setup Error Preventing Installation of WinXP Recovery Console

Setup Error Preventing Installation of WinXP Recovery Console

WinXP_Powered

OS: Windows XP Professional w/SP2 and all the latest Windows Updates.

When trying to install the Recovery Console, I enter:

F:\i386\winnt32 /cmdcons

and get the following critical error:

"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer
is newer than the version on the CD."

smackedass

> and get the following critical error:
>
> "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
> newer than the version on the CD."

What drive is the F: drive?

From what type of disk are you attempting to install the Recovery Console?

smackedass

WinXP_Powered

smackedass wrote:
>> and get the following critical error:
>>
>> "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
>> newer than the version on the CD."

> What drive is the F: drive?
>
> From what type of disk are you attempting to install the Recovery Console?
>
> smackedass

The F: drive is my CD drive. I was doing exactly what the Help and
Support article below says to do.

To install the Recovery Console as a startup option

1. With Windows running, insert the Setup CD into your CD-ROM drive.

2. Click Start and select Run.

3. Type the following where D: is the CD-ROM drive letter:

D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

4. Follow the instructions on the screen.

==========================

Any ideas, Smacked, would be appreciated.

Thanks!

John

smackedass

> Any ideas, Smacked, would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John

I can't really wrap my brain around this right now, gotta get ready for
supper, but see if there's anything here that may help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897008

sa

WinXP_Powered

smackedass wrote:
>> Any ideas, Smacked, would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> John

> I can't really wrap my brain around this right now, gotta get ready for
> supper, but see if there's anything here that may help:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897008
>
> sa

-------------------------
How to integrate Windows XP Service Pack 2 files into the Windows XP
installation folder

----------------

Trying this now. This should work.

WinXP_Powered

WinXP_Powered wrote:
> OS: Windows XP Professional w/SP2 and all the latest Windows Updates.
>
> When trying to install the Recovery Console, I enter:
>
> F:\i386\winnt32 /cmdcons
>
> and get the following critical error:
>
> "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer
> is newer than the version on the CD."

You can find a good thread on my question and the solution I received at
the Microsoft news server:

at any one of these newsgroups:

microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

John