Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Trivial Fun - What and when was the 1st personal computer?

Trivial Fun - What and when was the 1st personal computer?

WinXP_Powered

Very impressive, Michael, and AMEN to Disabled American Vets. You guys
have done more to get other vets their due. God Bless You!

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
> "J. Clarke" wrote:
>

>>Pity. A geek gets it done and a nerd doesn't. Or so say the geeks at
>>Earthlink <eg>.

> How many years have you repaired computers? Are any of the computers
> you've worked on oddball industrial equipment with little or no
> documentation? What do you know about the Motorola MC68340 series
> CPUs? The Motorola "Exocisor" bus, the Intel "Multibus" Motorola's
> "VME" bus? How about the PC-104 bus? I've troubleshot and repaired all
> of them, along with some mainframe and minicomputer equipment. My
> server rack was a NCR 2600 minicomputer, and I tested and certified the
> embedded controller in one of the communications systems aboard the
> International Space Station.
>
> I am back in the computer repair game after becoming 100% disabled. I
> needed something to occupy my time, so I repair donated computers and
> give them away to local disabled veterans.
>
> I also built a commercial TV station abut 10 years ago, and was an
> engineer at two other stations.

WinXP_Powered

Mister wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:55:42 -0500, "J. Clarke"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Michael A. Terrell wrote:

>>> How many years have you repaired computers? Are any of the computers
>>> you've worked on oddball industrial equipment with little or no
>>> documentation? What do you know about the Motorola MC68340 series
>>> CPUs? The Motorola "Exocisor" bus, the Intel "Multibus" Motorola's
>>> "VME" bus? How about the PC-104 bus? I've troubleshot and repaired all
>>> of them, along with some mainframe and minicomputer equipment. My
>>> server rack was a NCR 2600 minicomputer, and I tested and certified the
>>> embedded controller in one of the communications systems aboard the
>>> International Space Station.
>>>
>>> I am back in the computer repair game after becoming 100% disabled. I
>>> needed something to occupy my time, so I repair donated computers and
>>> give them away to local disabled veterans.
>>>
>>> I also built a commercial TV station abut 10 years ago, and was an
>>> engineer at two other stations.

>> You might want to retrace your steps and see if you can figure out where you
>> left your sense of humor.

> I am neither a geek or a nerd, I am a computer guru who has found his
> inner Zen by spinning CDs on all of my fingers and playing the
> harmonica. For I have now joined the circus and have gotten real
> hungry for some chicken heads after reading all of this!!!
>
> ,~.
> ,-'__ `-,
> {,-' `. } ,')
> ,( a ) `-.__ ,',')~,
> <=.) ( `-.__,==' ' ' '}
> ( ) /)
> `-'\ , )
> | \ `~. /
> \ `._ \ /
> \ `._____,' ,'
> `-. ,'
> `-._ _,-'
> 77jj'
> //_||
> __//--'/`
> ,--'/` '
> '

ROFLMBO @ visual of you spinning CDs on ALL your fingers, whilst blowing
a blues harp being held up by an antique harmonica holder (a la early
Dylan), and, oh yeah... doing ALL this on a small stage on a circus
freak sideshow!

ASCII art, even! There's the icing on the cake for you!!

Psssst... showing your age with that ASCII art, Mister. LOLOL

J. Clarke

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

> "J. Clarke" wrote:
>>
>> You might want to retrace your steps and see if you can figure out where
>> you left your sense of humor.

> My sense of humor is fine. So is my right to disagree with you.

Disagree with me about WHAT? Is it your assertion that Earthlink does not
claim that "a geek gets it done but a nerd doesn't"? If not then on what
point do you disagree with me?

<remainder snipped>

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

J. Clarke

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

> "J. Clarke" wrote:
>>
>> Michael A. Terrell wrote:

>> > My sense of humor is fine. So is my right to disagree with you.

>> Disagree with me about WHAT? Is it your assertion that Earthlink does
>> not
>> claim that "a geek gets it done but a nerd doesn't"? If not then on what
>> point do you disagree with me?
>>
>> <remainder snipped>

> Now look who has no sense of humor!

I'm just trying to figure out what you got so defensive about.

I'm starting to feel like I inadvertently walked into the middle of a Monty
Python rehearsal.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

SBFan2000

"Michael A. Terrell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave Hardenbrook wrote:
> >
> > Michael A. Terrell wrote:
> > > BTW, I still have about 20 1541
> > > drives, and just got two more, along with a C-128 and a 1701 monitor
> > > given to me a couple weeks ago. I also have a working SX-64 and a

couple
> > > C-128D computers, along with a couple dozen C-64 computers in one of

my
> > > workshops here at home.

> > My first computer was a C64, and I'm glad to know there are still
> > working ones in the world.
> >
> > BTW, I'm in my 30's, and I remember the term "computer nerd" -- When I
> > was in my teens, a "geek" was an insufferable prat, like Anthony Michael
> > Hall's character in the movie _Sixteen Candles_.
> >
> > --
> > Dave, who looks nostalgically upon 5-1/4" floppy disks the way my
> > parents did at 45 rpm records.

> I had collected most of the Commodore PET line, but lost them with a
> warehouse a few years ago.

This reminds me of the Mac that I accidently pitched. It was one of the
first personal macs, all-in-one unit with like a 8" monitor. I was cleaning
out the attic and I never used it so I pitched it. Then about a year later
I saw it in a tv special as "one of the first macs available to users"
Since then I've seen it in a musuem. I hate to think what kind of $ it was
worth. Hopefully not much!

WinXP_Powered

Dancing cows... Monty Python rehearsals...

What's next??!!! ROFLMBO

John