Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Motherboard and CPU Compatability Question

Motherboard and CPU Compatability Question

Mr. Arcade

Hi,

Is Front side bus the motherboard's clock speed? and what does front
side bus determine as far as compatibility for ram, and processors? I
watched Mike Meyers CD's on a+ certification and he only talked about
motherboards running at 66, 100, and 133mhz, so I was confused when i
saw a motherboard with a frontside bus of 1066mhz and ram at 4200
because I not to long ago bought pc133 ram for my emachine, so I don't
understand how the numbers have gotten so big already. Any help is
appreciated thanks.

WW

Older SDRAM memory is specified by its clock rate, eg 133MHz is PC133 SDRAM.

With the newer memory DDR SDRAM, the memory chips are specified as DDR400,
for example, meaning 400MHz clock rate (actually 200MHz x 2 as
double-clocked). The whole DDR SDRAM module, on the other hand, is
designated by the overall data transfer rate, not the clock speed.

So for example with DDR266 chips, data transfer rate is 8bytes x 266MB/sec =
2133MB/sec. This is written as PC2100 DDR SDRAM memory. (The 8 bytes comes
from the 64-bit width of the memory data bus).

With DDR400, the data rate is 8x400 ie PC3200.

(Note the round-ups, eg 133, 266, really means 133.33MHz, 266.66Mhz etc).

HTH

"Mr. Arcade" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> Is Front side bus the motherboard's clock speed? and what does front
> side bus determine as far as compatibility for ram, and processors? I
> watched Mike Meyers CD's on a+ certification and he only talked about
> motherboards running at 66, 100, and 133mhz, so I was confused when i
> saw a motherboard with a frontside bus of 1066mhz and ram at 4200
> because I not to long ago bought pc133 ram for my emachine, so I don't
> understand how the numbers have gotten so big already. Any help is
> appreciated thanks.

Mr. Arcade

Never seen a system with 1066mhz fsb?
check this out

https://store.fatal1ty.com/productdetail.aspx?pid=195

Mr. Arcade

Also what about the ddr standard specifies the compatibility of your
motherboard with the ram's speed?