Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Windows XP freezing up

Windows XP freezing up

plazticsoul

I've had both of these happen to me in the past, hehe!! But as many times
and as many ways as I tried in the pc I'm referring to, I'm left with no
conclusion other than the CPU just runs hot. I don't know if that is
possible, but I eventually came to accept it. Luckily I don't think it
contributed to the problem mentioned here.

> some of them have a protective plastic layer over the factory heat
> transfer pad that is supposed to be removed, and some people have not
> removed it. But in other cases, people have removed what they thought
> was a protective layer and it WAS the heat transfer pad.

plazticsoul

Well, Barry, since it seems you know your stuff, maybe you could provide
furthur guidance on a vague conversation I had with my brother after
returning his PC.

What I ended up doing was installing that critical update followed by SP1a,
rather than 2, as I wanted to simply call it a weekend and wash my hands of
any more SP2 related problems. I informed him that if desired he may want
firewall protection. So he installed ZoneAlarm and it asked to reboot. He
claimed that once it rebooted Windows would not start correctly and after a
few times, he gave up and shut it off. Then later his wife got on and was
able to load XP like normal and now there seems to be no internet access. I
had him first disable and even uninstall the firewall app, restart the
computer, and still no connection. He indicated that there were those
blinking monitors on the bottom right of the task bar. I asked him to
right-click and select "repair". It indicated that it completed
successfully. Then I asked to go to command prompt and type "ipconfig
/renew" and it was able to renew the IP address ok. I had him ping
localhost, and no packets were lost. I then had him ping the default
gateway, and this was not successful. So I had him release the IP
configuration and renew it yet again, ending up with the same addresses from
what I understand. Still could not ping the router. Tracert command cannot
resolve anything either. A laptop is also connected to this router and the
internet works. He claims he has reset the router.

Why no internet access? Onboard LAN..... A faulty motherboard could explain
a lot of other "ghosts in the machine" he's had.

If it can successfully renew the IP configuration and if you could ping the
localhost but not the router, and the router is working, then what is going
on?

Jason
A+, Network+

smackedass

> First, I ***NEVER*** install Zone-Alarm, Norton's Firewall or Security
> software (beyond AV) or any other such software. I find that this stuff
> causes FAR more problems than it is worth.

> The only firewall that I use is the one built into SP2.

Barry,

That's very interesting, and counters what I usually hear. Apart from the
average user having trouble downloading "forbidden" (but ok) files, knowing
how to create "exceptions", and, in general, having a working understanding
of how to manage their own firewall, would you be able to outline your
thoughts about this matter? Obviously, you have your reasons...

Thanks,

smackedass

MceRx0

This is great advice and exactly how I do it.
However, I do also use Sygate software firewall as well as my hardware
firewall. The reason I use Sygate is because I want control over what
is allowed to access the Internet, and to also keep an eye on what's
trying to access the Internet.

I've been using Sygate for years without any problems, but of course
depending on different configurations your mileage may vary.

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 19:01:11 GMT, Barry Watzman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>1. start with a clean machine (blank hard drive) and get Windows XP SP2
> installed before you ever connect the machine to the internet. If
>you don't have SP2, get the machine upgraded to SP2 before you connect
>to the internet. [That implies, obviously, that the SP2 upgrade done
>with a CD and not online.]
>
>2. When you do connect to the internet, do so ONLY behind a router.
>
>Between the built-in firewall and the router, it is now not possible for
>your machine to be attacked from outside with no action on your part.
>It's simply not possible. [This doesn't mean that you can't get
>infected if you open an infected E-Mail or visit a malicious web site,
>but you are now ok as far as infection with no action at all on your part.]
>
>3. Next, IMMEDIATELY, before visiting ANY other web sites (which might
>be "malicious"), use Windows update to install all of the security
>upgrades, and also install Microsoft Anti-Spyware and your choice of
>Anti-Virus software. Using the capabilities built into those products,
>update them fully, immediately, and enable "auto-update" on all of these
>(Windows itself, Anti-virus, Anti-spyware).
>
>At this point, you will have a very secure machine that will be quite
>resistent to infection even if the user engages in "stupid computer
>tricks". The SP2 built-in firewall + the hardware router will keep out
>totally unsolicited attacks, while the Antivirus + Antispyware will
>detect and prevent almost all infections from unsolicited infected
>E-Mail and visits to malicious web sites.
>
>The additional benefit to be gained from additional and more aggressive
>firewall software does not, in my mind, outweigh the problems that such
>software actually causes.

plazticsoul

It is behind a router already, and I did not instruct him to install
ZoneAlarm. He chose to do this. You dont realize how annoying my brother is
at times and I just decided I was going to do a quick fix and tell him if he
has anymore problems, see somebody else, or wait until after my Microsoft
70-290 exam. He was stealing all of my free time.

Oh, btw, the instructions I gave him over the phone must have worked. After
he hung up with me he shut down his computer. Next morning turned it on, and
everything was fine. I guess it just needed a restart.

news:Id4If.79856$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> [...]

> > localhost, and no packets were lost. I then had him ping the default
> > gateway, and this was not successful. So I had him release the IP
> > configuration and renew it yet again, ending up with the same addresses

from
> > what I understand. Still could not ping the router. Tracert command

cannot
> > resolve anything either. A laptop is also connected to this router and

the
> > internet works. He claims he has reset the router.
> >
> > Why no internet access? Onboard LAN..... A faulty motherboard could

explain
> > a lot of other "ghosts in the machine" he's had.
> >
> > If it can successfully renew the IP configuration and if you could ping

the
> > localhost but not the router, and the router is working, then what is

Adam Leinss

Barry Watzman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> At this point, you will have a very secure machine that will be
> quite resistant to infection even if the user engages in "stupid
> computer tricks". The SP2 built-in firewall + the hardware router
> will keep out totally unsolicited attacks, while the Antivirus +
> Antispyware will detect and prevent almost all infections from
> unsolicited infected E-Mail and visits to malicious web sites.

I would argue that if you are behind a router, the router is acting as
a firewall and you really do not need a software firewall. That's the
way I roll any ways (I always turn off the SP2 firewall).

Also...I have problems with Microsoft Defender. I found the Spyware
Blaster approach of loading the GUIDs of bad ActiveX controls and sites
into the registry much less resource intensive then Defender (since
Defender is just another product from GIANT software that MS bought
out). If you load Regmon, you'll see Defender constantly checking
certain registry keys for changes instead of using registry
notification functions which are much less resource intensive.

Finally, in the corporate environment, Defender really don't work.
When I try to deploy VNC remotely to workstations via WSH, Microsoft
Defender blocks this. Seems to do more harm then good.

Adam
--
Visit my PC Tech blog at www.leinss.com/blog

MceRx0

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:45:50 GMT, Adam Leinss <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Adam
>--
>Visit my PC Tech blog at www.leinss.com/blog

I hate blogs!

But your blog is actually interesting.

Keep up the blog.................

Adam Leinss

MceRx0 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I hate blogs!
>
> But your blog is actually interesting.
>
> Keep up the blog.................

Thanks...I generally hate blogs that are "touchy-feely" or are like "I
picked my nose at 2PM...man I am bored". Those are really a waste of
space in my opinion!

Adam

PPP Does NOT Equal Ping Pong Paddle

plazticsoul wrote:
> I did memtest for several hours and did not detect any errors.
>
> The problem has been solved. The second hard drive attached making the
> computer power off WAS due to a bad power supply.
>
> HOWEVER, the XP freezing up was some BIOS problem associated with Prescott
> core CPUs. Windows XP needed a critical update for this before applying SP2.
> Apparently my brother had installed SP2 and left it on for 2 weeks straight.
> So when the system finally froze during a reboot, he didn't remember he put
> SP2 on it. This might have been corrected in the recovery console, before it
> was wiped out, had I known about it! And of course, each time I reinstalled
> XP Pro, I tried to apply SP2 again, hence the recurring problem.
>
> So although the power supply replacement was necessary, it was not the
> complete solution nor was it the original (because he hadn't opted for a
> second HD at the time). Jee whiz!
>
> So folks, if you're going to install SP2 for XP and you have a Prescott core
> CPU, check microsoft.com for that critical update first!!
>
> Jason
> A+, Network+
>
> "Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Almost any hardware can cause almost any symptom. The power supply is
>> always suspect, it COULD cause all of the symptoms that you are seeing,
>> that that doesn't mean that it is.
>>
>> The first step is always a memory test with a stand-alone memory
>> diagnostic that does not run under either Windows or DOS, such as
>> Memtest or Memtest86.

That's good info, Jason. Thanks!

The other thing I would have checked when you had the original problem
was a visual inspection of the capacitors on the motherboard for leaks
and/or bulging tops. When the caps start failing you'll experience all
kinds of freezing up problems. They symptoms will have you suspecting
the power supply, so I always do a visual inspection of the motherboard.

The last time I saw this problem, the bad caps were mounted underneath
the power supply, so it was ONLY after I removed the power supply that I
spotted the bad caps and then replaced the motherboard.

For more info on this problem, visit:

http://www.badcaps.net/

PPP Does NOT Equal Ping Pong Paddle

Great advice, Barry! I couldn't agree more.

I was curious about one thing you said was very important--updating the
BIOS for Prescott processors. Can you shed more light on this, or any
links to more info?

Thanks!
John