Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > NTFS for DOS

NTFS for DOS

Edward A. Weissbard

I was recently in a position where I had to copy a file to an NTFS partition
and I didn't have access to Recovery Console. I did find a very useful
program called NTFSforDOS. It copies additional software to a Windows9x
boot disk so that it can mount NTFS drives. I found it very useful when I
thought I didn't have a choice without Recovery Console. The link follows
to this freeware program:

http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/

Thanks,

--
Edward A. Weissbard
El Paso, TX

"Life is easy with eyes closed"

smackedass

>I was recently in a position where I had to copy a file to an NTFS
>partition
> and I didn't have access to Recovery Console. I did find a very useful
> program called NTFSforDOS.

This is good to know. I hope to God that I never have to use it...

smackedass

Gerard Bok

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 23:21:37 GMT, "Edward A. Weissbard"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was recently in a position where I had to copy a file to an NTFS partition
>and I didn't have access to Recovery Console. I did find a very useful
>program called NTFSforDOS. It copies additional software to a Windows9x
>boot disk so that it can mount NTFS drives. I found it very useful when I
>thought I didn't have a choice without Recovery Console. The link follows
>to this freeware program:
>
>http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/

Sure. One other way is BartPE. http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Which has as a major advantage, that the actual writing to NTFS
partitions is done by Microsoft Windows.
Which may not be a bad idee, given the poor compatibility record
of 'third party writing to ntfs'-software.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Edward A. Weissbard

Thanks for the other information Gerard.

--
Edward A. Weissbard
El Paso, TX

"Life is easy with eyes closed"
"Gerard Bok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 23:21:37 GMT, "Edward A. Weissbard"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I was recently in a position where I had to copy a file to an NTFS

partition
> >and I didn't have access to Recovery Console. I did find a very useful
> >program called NTFSforDOS. It copies additional software to a Windows9x
> >boot disk so that it can mount NTFS drives. I found it very useful when

> >thought I didn't have a choice without Recovery Console. The link

follows
> >to this freeware program:
> >
> >http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/

> Sure. One other way is BartPE. http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
>
> Which has as a major advantage, that the actual writing to NTFS
> partitions is done by Microsoft Windows.
> Which may not be a bad idee, given the poor compatibility record
> of 'third party writing to ntfs'-software.
>
> --
> Kind regards,
> Gerard Bok

pgluth1

I am certainly not an expert in this realm, but I have great luck using
INSERT Linux - a "Live CD." (INside SEcurity Rescue Toolkit) From the
website it claims it supports:

EXT2,EXT3,MINIX,REISERFS,JFS,XFS,NTFS,FAT,MSDOS,NF S,SMBFS,CIFS,NCPFS,UDF,AF
S,EFS,HFS,HFS+,HPFS,SHFS,UFS,UNIONFS

So far, I have only had to use it for NTFS, FAT, EXT2 & 3. I can't vouch
for the others.

Best of all, it is only 50 megs, works on a Knoppix base, and also has the
basics of a full operating system and anti-virus. I know mixing platforms
is not encouraged for A+, but as a useful tool, I really enjoy it.
Moreover, I have used the Knoppix DVD and CD and STD and found that INSERT
has better and more reliable NTFS writing abilities. I recently rescued a
Pentium Win98 system by carefully rewritting some files from the INSERT CD.
I am not a Linux power-user and this uses a very stripped (though very
fast) graphical interface. It is easy for any average Linux user, but might
be a nightmare for a Windows user who just wants to fix something.

As an aside, there is also a collection of open source programs called the
"Ultimate Boot CD" and not only does it have a lot of nifty utilities, it
also includes a slightly older version of INSERT.

http://www.inside-security.de/insert_en.html
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Edward A. Weissbard

Thanks pgluth1 for the info.........that one sounds really interesting.
That sure is a lot of different types of partitions, most of them I never
heard of.

--

"pgluth1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I am certainly not an expert in this realm, but I have great luck using
> INSERT Linux - a "Live CD." (INside SEcurity Rescue Toolkit) From the
> website it claims it supports:

EXT2,EXT3,MINIX,REISERFS,JFS,XFS,NTFS,FAT,MSDOS,NF S,SMBFS,CIFS,NCPFS,UDF,AF
> S,EFS,HFS,HFS+,HPFS,SHFS,UFS,UNIONFS
>
> So far, I have only had to use it for NTFS, FAT, EXT2 & 3. I can't vouch
> for the others.
>
> Best of all, it is only 50 megs, works on a Knoppix base, and also has the
> basics of a full operating system and anti-virus. I know mixing platforms
> is not encouraged for A+, but as a useful tool, I really enjoy it.
> Moreover, I have used the Knoppix DVD and CD and STD and found that INSERT
> has better and more reliable NTFS writing abilities. I recently rescued a
> Pentium Win98 system by carefully rewritting some files from the INSERT

CD.
> I am not a Linux power-user and this uses a very stripped (though very
> fast) graphical interface. It is easy for any average Linux user, but

might
> be a nightmare for a Windows user who just wants to fix something.
>
> As an aside, there is also a collection of open source programs called the
> "Ultimate Boot CD" and not only does it have a lot of nifty utilities, it
> also includes a slightly older version of INSERT.
>
> http://www.inside-security.de/insert_en.html
> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Zaphod B.

Edward A. Weissbard wrote :
> I was recently in a position where I had to copy a file to an NTFS partition
> and I didn't have access to Recovery Console. I did find a very useful
> program called NTFSforDOS. It copies additional software to a Windows9x
> boot disk so that it can mount NTFS drives. I found it very useful when I
> thought I didn't have a choice without Recovery Console. The link follows
> to this freeware program:
>
> http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/
>
> Thanks,

Another real goody is CIA Commander.
* Accesses any NTFS partition
* Gives you chance change any passwords
* Gives you full access to NTFS from CIA Commander-DOS
* With registry-editor included
* Easy to use - all features offered through GUI

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/U...Commander.html

--
Zaphod B.

WISH LIST ITEM

"For people who like peace and quiet: A phoneless cord."

coal_brona@hotmail.com

Greetings,

The other great tool is definately NTFS Reader. That allows you to
access NTFS system in DOS oe Windows 98\me. The tool helped me before
and I can say it is really reliable. The tool itself can be found on a
data utils set CD image, Active@ Boot Disk that also inclides truly
mighty tools for data erase, restore and backup.

http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm

Bob Bosen

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Greetings,
>
> The other great tool is definately NTFS Reader. That allows you to
> access NTFS system in DOS oe Windows 98\me. The tool helped me before
> and I can say it is really reliable. The tool itself can be found on a
> data utils set CD image, Active@ Boot Disk that also inclides truly
> mighty tools for data erase, restore and backup.
>
> http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm

Thanks for that info. I'm going to give it a try because I sometimes run
into this situation.

-Bob Bosen-
http://www.AskMisterWizard.com (Instructional Videos)