Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Safe Mode in Gateway/WinMe

Re: Safe Mode in Gateway/WinMe

Gerard Bok

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:36:56 GMT, Dave Hardenbrook
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm working on a Gateway tower system running Windows Me. The client
>wants to boot into Safe Mode so she can install an anti-Spyware program
>that requires installation in Safe Mode. However, no matter what key I
>press/jab/bang on during startup -- F5, F8, <Ctrl> -- the system ignores
>me and always boots normally. There are three things that I suspect are
>stopping me from booting to Safe Mode:
>
>1. You can't boot to Safe Mode in the normal way on a Gateway.
>2. You can't boot to Safe Mode in the normal way with Windows Me.
>3. This particular system is installed with "Adaptec GoBack" which runs
> between the POST and the Windows boot saying "press space bar to
> restore system" before proceding to boot Windows. Is the presence of
> this backup/restore utility in the startup overriding the normal boot
> sequence and preventing the ability to invoke the Windows Boot Menu?
>

>Any ideas of how I should proceed would be appreciated.

The proper way

Start - shut down.
Click 'restart' and 'OK'.
Hold the Ctrl-key until the menu appears.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Norton Antivirus 2005 will not scan in normal mode but will in safe mode Vic Computer Support 2 09-23-2005 07:39 PM
Re: Norton Antivirus 2005 will not scan in normal mode but will in safe mode Vic Computer Support 0 09-23-2005 04:50 PM
Safe mode Vs normal mode Echy Firefox 6 08-27-2005 07:56 PM
adware different in safe mode and normal mode?? Ladydeb Computer Support 0 09-24-2004 09:30 AM

Advertisments