Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Question on multi-HD boot disks

Question on multi-HD boot disks

pgluth1

I have a PC with 3 HDs and 4 partitions - drive #3 has both a Linux (RH9)
and an XP pro partition - the other HDs have XP pro only. All disks and
partitions and OSs work perfectly, but in the future I may pull out a HD
and stick it in another computer.

Question:

Any way to choose which HD / OS to boot into from a floppy? Most "boot
disks" assume that the OS is somehow broken and that files are missing. All
the disks are set up "cable select" and right now, the only way I know how
to change the boot order is by taking the cover off and moving the cables /
jumpers around.

Can this be done from a floppy? i.e., non-invasively? I would rather not
make too many changes to the MBR since I plan on moving disks around in the
future.

Adam Leinss

pgluth1 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Any way to choose which HD / OS to boot into from a floppy? Most
> "boot disks" assume that the OS is somehow broken and that files
> are missing. All the disks are set up "cable select" and right
> now, the only way I know how to change the boot order is by taking
> the cover off and moving the cables / jumpers around.

Try the Smart Boot Manager (Freeware):

http://btmgr.webframe.org/

Adam
--
Visit my PC Tech blog at www.leinss.com/blog

pgluth1

Excellent little program. Makes me nostalgic for the old DOS days. You can
configure a floppy to boot different OSs on different HDs any way you want
to. Give me some more time I will get it to recognize my Linux partitions.

Thanks again for the suggestion - that was just what I was looking for.

SBFan2000

"Adam Leinss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> pgluth1 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
> > Any way to choose which HD / OS to boot into from a floppy? Most
> > "boot disks" assume that the OS is somehow broken and that files
> > are missing. All the disks are set up "cable select" and right
> > now, the only way I know how to change the boot order is by taking
> > the cover off and moving the cables / jumpers around.

> Try the Smart Boot Manager (Freeware):

There is also hardware availble to do this! One fits into a 3.5 bay and the
other (Trios) fits into a 5.25 bay. I have one of each and they both work
although the trios works best.