Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: File Sharing Problem

Re: File Sharing Problem

Steven L Umbach

If you are using simple file sharing then the guest account needs to be
enabled and the everyone group needs permissions to the share and the folder
via NTFS permissions. You can see if simple file sharing is enabled in
Windows Explorer/tools/folder options/view and looking at the lost item at
the bottom of the list - use simple file sharing.

If simple file sharing is not used then the computer with the share needs to
have a local user account that matches the logon/password that the user from
the client computer uses to logon to their computer and the user must have a
password as accounts with blank password can not be used to access a share.
Sometimes My Network Places does not work reliably and you also use
\\computername\share in the run box or try \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\share using the
actual IP address of the computer that has the share [use ipconfig /all] to
try and access the share. If the computer with share has the Windows
Firewall or other software firewall/protection software that can also block
access to a share but usually the error message indicates "can not
locate/find" in such situations. --- Steve

"Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 2 computers running XP Pro. I'll call mine A and my son's B.
> Both are connected to a router. Up until the other day we could share
> files and both print off one printer. Printing is ok but not sharing.
> Sharing suddenly stopped. I can share a folder on A and see it on B
> but when I try to go into the folder, something pops up telling me I
> might not have permission. Both A and B have one user which is an
> Administrator account. File and Printer Sharing is enabled on both.
> Both connect to the internet just fine.What could have changed? What
> can I look for and how can I fix this? Thanks.

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:00:42 -0500, Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tried system restore. Didn't work. BTW I have a third system(C). A and
>C get along just fine as far as sharing goes.

Compare settings in B and C to see if you can tell any differences?

Tom

Steven L Umbach

I was partially wrong in that you are right that you can use simple file
sharing while the guest account is disabled which still means that users
authenticate to the share as guest/anonymous but can not logon interactively
to the computer that has the share as guest. However unless you are using
FAT32 there are indeed permissions to shares and folders via NTFS
permissions. You need to boot into Safe Mode and logon as an administrator
to see the NTFS security tab on folders in XP Home or disable simple file
sharing in XP Pro to see the security tab for folders. When using simple
file sharing users can only access shares that include everyone for both
share and folder/NTFS permissions assuming NTFS is used. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040 --- XP file
sharing

news:(E-Mail Removed)...