Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Router Problem. To bin or not to bin...

Router Problem. To bin or not to bin...

Batko

Alright all
My router decided to die (of sorts) over the holidays, it's a linksy
WRT54G, i've got a permanent "diagnostic" light on, i can'
access the router via an ethernet cable (definately works), i've no
tried wireless yet. I've gone through the manual and tried everythin
in there, i tried thru IE. then to ping, tried diff network card (tha
works). I thought it could be a firmware problem, but i'm thinkin
it's hardware. Any clues?
I know the price is right down for routers, an i could get a new on
for tuppence (it doesn't help when you're skint and a small child ha
taken a liking to cabling...)

Steven L Umbach

Try emailing Linksys to see what they say or visit their website where they
should have a FAQ for your device and full documentation. If you have not
tried it yet do a hard reset on it and unplug it for a while to see what
happens when it cools down. Also try a different wall wart of the same
voltage and has at least the same amperage capacity or at least measure the
voltage of the one you use. My guess is that heat and line surges/spikes are
the usual causes of death of such devices. --- Steve

"Batko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:L0uxf.9210$5%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alright all.
> My router decided to die (of sorts) over the holidays, it's a linksys
> WRT54G, i've got a permanent "diagnostic" light on, i can't
> access the router via an ethernet cable (definately works), i've not
> tried wireless yet. I've gone through the manual and tried everything
> in there, i tried thru IE. then to ping, tried diff network card (that
> works). I thought it could be a firmware problem, but i'm thinking
> it's hardware. Any clues?
> I know the price is right down for routers, an i could get a new one
> for tuppence (it doesn't help when you're skint and a small child has
> taken a liking to cabling...).

John O

>do a hard reset

That's where I'd start....hold the button for about ten seconds.

-John O

Batko

> John Owrote
[quote:3186a22dae]do a hard rese

That's where I'd start....hold the button for about ten seconds

-John O[/quote:3186a22dae

Chhers guys. Forgot to say i'd done that