Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > SCSI Question.

SCSI Question.

Raphael

Does each open connection on the SCSI chain have to have a terminator? So
say I have an internal SCSI cable, and it has 6 or so connections on it, and
all i decide to put on is just one drive. Do I just cancel the ends of the
chain, or also each open connection?

Thanks

Gerard Bok

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 02:04:12 -0500, "Raphael"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does each open connection on the SCSI chain have to have a terminator? So
>say I have an internal SCSI cable, and it has 6 or so connections on it, and
>all i decide to put on is just one drive. Do I just cancel the ends of the
>chain, or also each open connection?

Each physical end of a cable needs to be terminated.
So: 2 terminators on each cable. Always.

If you use both internal and external drives you need to read the
manual that came with your SCSI adapter or motherboard.
A cheap adapter will put both internal and external devices on
one and the same SCSI bus.
And thus will require the terminator on the board to be disabled
if you use both internal and external devices.

A high end adapter may have different SCSI busses for internal
and external connectors.

And modern boards may support auto-termination. Which basically
is some smart electronics, integrated on the board, that senses
if the board is in the middle of a chain or at a terminating
point. And switches it's terminator circuitry on or off
accordingly.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Scsi Gopi MCSE 3 09-24-2005 11:05 AM
SCSI Hard Drive Basics Silverstrand Front Page News 0 08-10-2005 06:28 PM
Seagate Cheetah 15K.4 ST3146854LC SCSI Hard Drive @ InsaneTe Silverstrand Front Page News 0 07-21-2005 02:13 PM
FPGA SCSI controller Dennis Garcia VHDL 0 01-17-2005 06:52 PM
SCSI DRIVER Blacknun MCSE 1 04-08-2004 09:53 AM

Advertisments