Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Building a home lab for 2006.

Reply
Thread Tools

Building a home lab for 2006.

 
 
CG101
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-25-2005
Hello all,

I am looking into building a home lab. Trying to get a survey from folks of
the type of equipment they use at their home/work environment. Not looking
to use virtual machines (e.g. VMWare) as I want to interact with the
individual hardware too. I understand the cost benefit, but in the end, it
isn't what I'm looking for. I want to take 70-270 by the end of January, and
want to get my MCSE/MCDBA by the end of the year at the latest....by the end
of the summer earliest. It is finally happening....the B$ is over.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all....

Cruz
CompTIA A+ Certified, CompTIA Network+ Cerfied
(After first the Microsoft exams....these puppies make me an
MCSA.....suweeet)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steven L Umbach
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2005
Three computers and at least two monitors. You can use a cheap electrical
KVM switch for two computers to share a monitor if need be. You can buy
cheap used computers on Ebay for $100 or less that work well. Have them all
networked and connected to the internet via an internet router. Also get
some removable drive trays and extra hard drives all in double or triple
boot configuration and you can cover almost every possibility. Depending on
your budget and what you want to learn also get a real firewall, a real
managed switch, and maybe a real router. There are Netscreen 5XP firewalls
with latest firmware on Ebay for around $80, lots of older Cisco routers
that route well but only at 10MB, and lots of used HP Procurve/Cisco
switches on Ebay for reasonable prices. I am not sure which Cisco router is
best to learn on a budget these days but the 2514 with all the accessories
and late firmware, maximum memory, and transceivers used to be a good
choice and should be found for around $150 or so on Ebay. --- Steve

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...=netscreen+5xp ---
Netscreen 5XP
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GN210&cat=HDD --- drive trays

"CG101" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uOCrf.10114$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
>
> I am looking into building a home lab. Trying to get a survey from folks
> of
> the type of equipment they use at their home/work environment. Not looking
> to use virtual machines (e.g. VMWare) as I want to interact with the
> individual hardware too. I understand the cost benefit, but in the end, it
> isn't what I'm looking for. I want to take 70-270 by the end of January,
> and
> want to get my MCSE/MCDBA by the end of the year at the latest....by the
> end
> of the summer earliest. It is finally happening....the B$ is over.
> Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all....
>
> Cruz
> CompTIA A+ Certified, CompTIA Network+ Cerfied
> (After first the Microsoft exams....these puppies make me an
> MCSA.....suweeet)
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
CG101
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2005
Yeah I will be dealing with a KVM setup...no need to spend on extra
monitors, etc.

Tell me something, would it be necessary to have one client box for Linux in
a Windows setup? I'm not familiar with BIND or any UNIX services. I was told
that it might be important to set up printing through a Unix box, so I'm not
sure if this is what you meant. I got familiar with Unix/Linux when I was
studying for my Network+. Linux I'm sure is something I would get into later
but I'm trying to concentrate on Microsoft right now. Please excuse my
ignorance and I'm gonna start hunting for cheap boxes on eBay now.

Cruz
CompTIA A+ Certified, CompTIA Network+ Certified
"Kurt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you can go with a kvm switch, check out eBay for the best hardware

deals.
> I just bought an XP2600+ / FX5200 / 512M / 80G HD / 350W PS / CDRW for

$250
> (+$25 shipping). You might have to look around while for a deal that

good,
> but it's worth the bother. Ideal home setup for a MS lab - 2 DCs, as many
> workstations as you can have, maybe a Linux box for BIND, etc. Also bought
> an 8 port KVM with cables for $100.00.
>
> ...kurt
>
> "CG101" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uOCrf.10114$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am looking into building a home lab. Trying to get a survey from folks
> > of
> > the type of equipment they use at their home/work environment. Not

looking
> > to use virtual machines (e.g. VMWare) as I want to interact with the
> > individual hardware too. I understand the cost benefit, but in the end,

it
> > isn't what I'm looking for. I want to take 70-270 by the end of January,
> > and
> > want to get my MCSE/MCDBA by the end of the year at the latest....by the
> > end
> > of the summer earliest. It is finally happening....the B$ is over.
> > Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all....
> >
> > Cruz
> > CompTIA A+ Certified, CompTIA Network+ Cerfied
> > (After first the Microsoft exams....these puppies make me an
> > MCSA.....suweeet)
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
CG101
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2005
I am not looking into (right now) to learn Cisco. I was hoping to get away
with maybe a fake router/firewall (e.g. Linksys or Netgear). I don't want to
take away my focus of studying for my MCSE. Once I get my MCSE (or maybe A),
I may upgrade the fake stuff for some real deals (the firewall/intelligent
switch/router setup) and earn my CCNA. However I'm more interested in
earning my MCSE then MCDBA then learning SQL Server 2005 to upgrade to the
new certification. The other suggestions look good though and I will be
looking into Ebay for those items. If you can advise me on anything else
concerning the lab (or if I'm wrong in my thinking) please let me know. I
may just be thinking with my wallet instead of what is proper.

Cruz
CompTIA A+ Certified, CompTIA Network+ Certified
"Steven L Umbach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Three computers and at least two monitors. You can use a cheap electrical
> KVM switch for two computers to share a monitor if need be. You can buy
> cheap used computers on Ebay for $100 or less that work well. Have them

all
> networked and connected to the internet via an internet router. Also get
> some removable drive trays and extra hard drives all in double or triple
> boot configuration and you can cover almost every possibility. Depending

on
> your budget and what you want to learn also get a real firewall, a real
> managed switch, and maybe a real router. There are Netscreen 5XP firewalls
> with latest firmware on Ebay for around $80, lots of older Cisco routers
> that route well but only at 10MB, and lots of used HP Procurve/Cisco
> switches on Ebay for reasonable prices. I am not sure which Cisco router

is
> best to learn on a budget these days but the 2514 with all the accessories
> and late firmware, maximum memory, and transceivers used to be a good
> choice and should be found for around $150 or so on Ebay. --- Steve
>
>

ttp://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=netscreen+5xp ---
> Netscreen 5XP
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GN210&cat=HDD --- drive trays
>
> "CG101" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uOCrf.10114$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am looking into building a home lab. Trying to get a survey from folks
> > of
> > the type of equipment they use at their home/work environment. Not

looking
> > to use virtual machines (e.g. VMWare) as I want to interact with the
> > individual hardware too. I understand the cost benefit, but in the end,

it
> > isn't what I'm looking for. I want to take 70-270 by the end of January,
> > and
> > want to get my MCSE/MCDBA by the end of the year at the latest....by the
> > end
> > of the summer earliest. It is finally happening....the B$ is over.
> > Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all....
> >
> > Cruz
> > CompTIA A+ Certified, CompTIA Network+ Cerfied
> > (After first the Microsoft exams....these puppies make me an
> > MCSA.....suweeet)
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Neil
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2005
did you hear "CG101" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:uOCrf.10114$(E-Mail Removed):

> I am looking into building a home lab. Trying to get a survey from
> folks of the type of equipment they use at their home/work
> environment.


If I'm using actual hardware, I use 3 desktop PCs (HP Evo 510s withs
2.4Ghz procs and 1Gb of RAM each) on a separate segment. 1 client, 1 DC
and since I am learning more about SQL 2005 these days (on to SSAS, SSRS
and SSIS) a member server running the product of choice - in this case
SQL 2005. This also gives me the flexability to run SQL on the DC as well
to try things like Replication, DB Mirroring, etc. I could be doing this
off of instances on the same box, but it's like learning networking using
the loopback adapter.

I use a KVM as well. I don't have unlimited real estate...

> Not looking to use virtual machines (e.g. VMWare) as I
> want to interact with the individual hardware too.


This is just crazy talk IMHO. Yes I have the 3 servers, but I will from
time to time through Virtual Server on the box as this allows me to try
out the clustering schtuff too. There are benefits to VMs.

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- I'm out of bed and dressed. What more do you want?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Neil
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2005
did you hear "CG101" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:R6Mrf.10166$(E-Mail Removed):

> Once I get my MCSE (or maybe A),
> I may upgrade the fake stuff for some real deals (the
> firewall/intelligent switch/router setup) and earn my CCNA.


make sure you use actual Cisco gear to get the Cert. e-bay is a wonder...

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- What are you doing?!? The message is over. GO AWAY!
 
Reply With Quote
 
CG101
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2005
This also gives me the flexability to run SQL on the DC as well
> to try things like Replication, DB Mirroring, etc. I could be doing this
> off of instances on the same box, but it's like learning networking using
> the loopback adapter.


I am curious...every production DC I've worked on never had apps on it (I
can fathom because it was due to stability issues). Our Exchange 2K3 servers
we have at work are on seperate clusters but within our W2K3 forrest. How
does putting SQL 2K5 on a DC give you flexibility? I am not suggesting by
any means this is wrong as I know some shops do have apps on DCs, but the
only things I've seen the DCs used for would be WINS, DNS, DHCP, etc...but
apps on member servers.

> Not looking to use virtual machines (e.g. VMWare) as I
> want to interact with the individual hardware too.


>>This is just crazy talk IMHO. Yes I have the 3 servers, but I >>will from
>>time to time through Virtual Server on the box as this allows me >>to try
>>out the clustering schtuff too. There are benefits to VMs.


VMs are something I may deal with, but I would feel more comfortable with
real boxes first. Virtualization is the future. Blade server farms and SANs
are being purchased simply for the purpose. It is something I wish to get
into as well as way to help clients save money. However I have to play catch
up with myself if I wish to even deal with that. I'm akin to being an
unlicensed plumber that does excellent plumbing work (words of my past and
current employers...I can't tout my own horn)....but I can't join the
plumbers union unless I get that piece of paper. My experience plus future
certs will correct that...but now I wish to design my own infrastructure as
opposed to maintaining (usually) someone else's mess. Your advice is valid,
and will keep that in mind when I begin the process. For that I thank you.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Neil
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2005
did you hear "CG101" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:LdXrf.10215$(E-Mail Removed):

> I am curious...every production DC I've worked on never had apps on it
> (I can fathom because it was due to stability issues). Our Exchange
> 2K3 servers we have at work are on seperate clusters but within our
> W2K3 forrest. How does putting SQL 2K5 on a DC give you flexibility? I
> am not suggesting by any means this is wrong as I know some shops do
> have apps on DCs, but the only things I've seen the DCs used for would
> be WINS, DNS, DHCP, etc...but apps on member servers.
>


I would never do it in a production scenario (performance issues) but in
a test lab scenario, it's one more PC without purchasin more hardware. In
production we have multiple DCs that are also WINS/DNS/DHCP servers
(minor load for those services - the AV software consume more resources),
but my SQL servers are on separate boxes (several) as is Exchange, web,
file and terminal services. Work has the cash for the 50+ servers to make
that happen. For my test labs, I have a more limited budget.

>
> VMs are something I may deal with, but I would feel more comfortable
> with real boxes first. Virtualization is the future. Blade server
> farms and SANs are being purchased simply for the purpose. It is
> something I wish to get into as well as way to help clients save
> money. However I have to play catch up with myself if I wish to even
> deal with that. I'm akin to being an unlicensed plumber that does
> excellent plumbing work (words of my past and current employers...I
> can't tout my own horn)....but I can't join the plumbers union unless
> I get that piece of paper. My experience plus future certs will
> correct that...but now I wish to design my own infrastructure as
> opposed to maintaining (usually) someone else's mess. Your advice is
> valid, and will keep that in mind when I begin the process. For that I
> thank you.
>


you're going to use blades and SANs for your test lab? DUDE! that's some
training budget ya got! care to share? Seriously, you are trying to LEARN
the product, so peformance shouldn't be a huge issue. VMs will allow you
to install/uninstall, break/fix, and generally play with the products and
learn what works and what doesn't. If you do have an unlimited budget to
create out of real hardware the types of networks and server configs you
are speaking about, you have a LOT of cash lying around.

Good luck on the cert process though...

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- The most useful tool for dealing with management types is, of course,
an automatic weapon.
 
Reply With Quote
 
CG101
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2005
Well...I am on ebay and I'm bidding on 2 PIIs....I might get one of them for
sure, the other is a two-day auction. If all goes well I would have spent no
more than $150 for two boxes....hey it's something. I can always get deals
on HDs and RAM from around when I need them. I'm doing my homework too on
how to deal with the firewall/router/switch issue. Perhaps the broaband
routers may not be good for me....but I'll cross the bridge when I get
though. Anymore help will be more than appreciated from all.....

And a message to those looking into braindumps....this is how it's done to
earn a cert....any A-hole can cheat....but you won't be able to cheat an
interview.

--
Cruz
CompTIA A+ Certified, CompTIA Network+ Certified


 
Reply With Quote
 
CG101
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2005
> you're going to use blades and SANs for your test lab? DUDE! that's some
> training budget ya got! care to share? Seriously, you are trying to LEARN
> the product, so peformance shouldn't be a huge issue. VMs will allow you
> to install/uninstall, break/fix, and generally play with the products and
> learn what works and what doesn't. If you do have an unlimited budget to
> create out of real hardware the types of networks and server configs you
> are speaking about, you have a LOT of cash lying around.
>
> Good luck on the cert process though...


WHOA THERE.........I guess it was my fault for not specifying that clients
with million dollar IT budgets are buying SANs and blade servers, as opposed
to me with a 55k a year salary that would simply want to learn
virtualization on a very limited scale. My job has two Clariion CX600
SANs...I can't afford a single storate array

I will start with a couple of real boxes first....then will definitely get
into VM for those purposes. As I said in an earlier post I just put a bid on
two P-IIs...those should be more than enough for my purposes....I got a
monitor and KVM already....so hopefully I can save some money. O/Ses...I'm
gonna deal with the 180 trials as they won't take me that long to do what
needs to get done

Cruz
CompTIA A+ Certified, CompTIA Network+ Certified


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building my CISCO (CCNP CCIE) Home Lab JohnNews Cisco 9 03-24-2010 08:29 PM
I'm selling off my Cisco lab. If you're interested in getting a cert, need production/lab equip., check my link! joey024@aol.com Cisco 1 01-20-2008 11:13 PM
Building a home lab for 2006. CG101 MCSE 21 12-29-2005 01:30 PM
Building a home lab for 2006. CG101 MCSA 18 12-29-2005 01:30 PM
Lab Challenge 8 - OSPF lab 2 www.networking-forum.com Cisco 0 11-03-2005 04:13 AM



Advertisments