Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Dell Certified Systems Expert - any benefit??

Dell Certified Systems Expert - any benefit??

Kevin G.

(sorry for posting in the wrong group, but not many groups out there
dedicated to PC tech certifications)

Hello all,

I run a small computer repair business, and I've been looking into some
options for some brand certifications such as Dell or Compaq. The sole
reason for doing this is just to drum up some more business, as I
really don't need the "training" Dell provides to get this
certification.

Some years back a shop I worked for was Compaq certified, and Compaq
would send us a good amount of local warranty repairs (and Compaq would
pay the shop to perform the warranty work). So it was worth it simply
for the built-in business this certification provided.

However, after looking through Dell's website (
http://dcse.dell.com/index.asp ) on the Dell Certified Systems Expert
certificate, it doesn't appear that's there's any business benefit
(meaning, they don't send you any warranty repair customers in your
area). It seems that having this certificate is only so that you can
market your shop as being "Dell Certified", which I'm sure might bring
some level of business in itself.

If anyone can provide any additional information on this, it would be
greatly appreciated!

Glenn

Dell has several Certificates. Laptop, desktop, server, etc.
They might impress people as wallpaper.
I am "Dell Certified". It didn't impess anyone, but it was free.

Kevin G. wrote:
> (sorry for posting in the wrong group, but not many groups out there
> dedicated to PC tech certifications)
>
> Hello all,
>
> I run a small computer repair business, and I've been looking into some
> options for some brand certifications such as Dell or Compaq. The sole
> reason for doing this is just to drum up some more business, as I
> really don't need the "training" Dell provides to get this
> certification.
>
> Some years back a shop I worked for was Compaq certified, and Compaq
> would send us a good amount of local warranty repairs (and Compaq would
> pay the shop to perform the warranty work). So it was worth it simply
> for the built-in business this certification provided.
>
> However, after looking through Dell's website (
> http://dcse.dell.com/index.asp ) on the Dell Certified Systems Expert
> certificate, it doesn't appear that's there's any business benefit
> (meaning, they don't send you any warranty repair customers in your
> area). It seems that having this certificate is only so that you can
> market your shop as being "Dell Certified", which I'm sure might bring
> some level of business in itself.
>
> If anyone can provide any additional information on this, it would be
> greatly appreciated!

CG101

This was taken from their FAQ
Q. How can I do service work for Dell?

A. All warranty repair arrangements are made through Dell Technical Support
and supported by Dell Service Providers. We use six Global Service Partners
to service our Customers. We do not offer a warranty repair program for
individuals, Service Providers or for Depot centers. We do not offer a
product service-contracting program nor are we seeking field-based service
technicians to support Dell systems.

http://dcse.dell.com/faq.asp#q10

I am of the opinion that it might be a meaningless cert as well. However I
believe HP's hardware cert is more or less the type of cert you are looking
for if you wanna be an ASP. Dell's is more for being pretty......

--
Cruz
CompTIA A+ Certified, CompTIA Network+ Certified
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...