Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Passed today

Passed today

Keith

Hi folks

I took both exams today and passed with 822 in the hardware and 850 in the
OS. I have quite a bit of experience as a PC tech so it wasn't too
difficult for me, but I found some of the questions to be a bit silly,
having very little relevance for techs in real-world scenarios. I read
Meyers' All-In-One book (5th ed) to prepare and was disappointed that (1)
the book contains many errors, and (2) many of the questions in the exam are
not covered in the book. I cannot understand why the book is praised so
highly. Anyway, I think I might try the Network+ next so (even though it's
OT I'm going to ask anyway) can anyone recommend a good book to prepare for
that?

All the best
Keith

John O

> I took both exams today and passed with 822 in the hardware and 850 in the
> OS. I have quite a bit of experience as a PC tech so it wasn't too
> difficult for me, but I found some of the questions to be a bit silly,
> having very little relevance for techs in real-world scenarios.

We've been telling CompTIA about this for years.

> I read Meyers' All-In-One book (5th ed) to prepare and was disappointed
> that (1) the book contains many errors,

What kind of errors? Typos, or big technical mistakes?

> and (2) many of the questions in the exam are not covered in the book.

The test is so broad today that no single book could ever cover it all.

> I cannot understand why the book is praised so highly. Anyway, I think I
> might try the Network+ next so (even though it's OT I'm going to ask
> anyway) can anyone recommend a good book to prepare for that?

The Meyers stuff is good, but <blatant commercial statement warning!> I hear
Heathkit has a new test prep about to be released, and I know it's good too.
</end blatant commercial statement>

We're just finishing up the details on that test prep. It'll be just as
good, or likely better, than the others out there.

-John O
heathkit.com

Linda

On 22/12/05, Keith wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> I took both exams today and passed with 822 in the hardware and 850 in the
> OS.

Wow, congratulations... sounds like a good pass mark.

> I have quite a bit of experience as a PC tech so it wasn't too
> difficult for me, but I found some of the questions to be a bit silly,
> having very little relevance for techs in real-world scenarios. I read
> Meyers' All-In-One book (5th ed) to prepare and was disappointed that (1)
> the book contains many errors, and (2) many of the questions in the exam are
> not covered in the book.

Oh! I'm currently studying to take my exam in early Feb and I haven't got
that much hands-on experience (not in a full time job sense) I'm using the
AIO book plus one night a week at college and still panicking that I'm not
going to know enough! I bought the A+ for Dummies book but it seems very
out of date, so I don't think I'll spend too much time on that.

> I cannot understand why the book is praised so
> highly. Anyway, I think I might try the Network+ next so (even though it's
> OT I'm going to ask anyway) can anyone recommend a good book to prepare for
> that?

Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on.

Keith

"Linda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1r5n5bpezzril.cmcb9hi8odrw$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 22/12/05, Keith wrote:
>
>> Hi folks
>>
>> I took both exams today and passed with 822 in the hardware and 850 in
>> the
>> OS.

> Wow, congratulations... sounds like a good pass mark.
>
>> I have quite a bit of experience as a PC tech so it wasn't too
>> difficult for me, but I found some of the questions to be a bit silly,
>> having very little relevance for techs in real-world scenarios. I read
>> Meyers' All-In-One book (5th ed) to prepare and was disappointed that (1)
>> the book contains many errors, and (2) many of the questions in the exam
>> are
>> not covered in the book.

> Oh! I'm currently studying to take my exam in early Feb and I haven't got
> that much hands-on experience (not in a full time job sense) I'm using the
> AIO book plus one night a week at college and still panicking that I'm not
> going to know enough! I bought the A+ for Dummies book but it seems very
> out of date, so I don't think I'll spend too much time on that.
>
>> I cannot understand why the book is praised so
>> highly. Anyway, I think I might try the Network+ next so (even though
>> it's
>> OT I'm going to ask anyway) can anyone recommend a good book to prepare
>> for
>> that?

> Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on.

Hello again.

After reviewing my original post, I think I may have been a bit too harsh in
my criticism of the All-In-One book. Although there are several technical
errors in the book and the writing style is not to my liking, anyone new to
the subject will learn a lot from the book. I read a chapter a day, then
did revision and practice tests for four days before taking the exams. If I
could offer just one piece of advice, it would be this: don't use the book
as your only source of material. The tests at the end of each chapter in
the book are OK, but some of the free tests you will find online are far
more like the real exams. Leave plenty of time to do a lot of these, and
look up anything you don't understand.

All the best
Keith

John O

>The tests at the end of each chapter in the book are OK, but some of the
>free tests you will find online are far more like the real exams. Leave
>plenty of time to do a lot of these, and look up anything you don't
>understand.

That's actually a good thing. You don't want to learn the questions, you
need to know the technologies. After all, the cert is about getting a job,
and the job isn't test questions, it's working with the technology.

So if your goal is to get a job, you don't want those "stolen from the exam"
questions.

-John O

Keith

"John O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rxEqf.38503$q%(E-Mail Removed) om...
> >The tests at the end of each chapter in the book are OK, but some of the
> >free tests you will find online are far more like the real exams. Leave
> >plenty of time to do a lot of these, and look up anything you don't
> >understand.

> That's actually a good thing. You don't want to learn the questions, you
> need to know the technologies. After all, the cert is about getting a job,
> and the job isn't test questions, it's working with the technology.
>
> So if your goal is to get a job, you don't want those "stolen from the
> exam" questions.
>
> -John O

I agree that a fundamental understanding of the material is paramount, but
whether we like it or not, these exams are to a certain extent a memory
test. Who really needs to know whether you can connect 63 or 127 USB
devices per port, or what device uses IRQ 0? Questions like these are
ridiculous and should have no place in the exams.

Regards
Keith

Wanoreck

True, I'm going to be mandated to take the exam for my job and the
questions I've seen on practice tests online or either dated back to
the Win 95 era, or cover very technical questions that have nothing to
do with my day to day repair duties, as in the examples given on your
last post. Congrats on passing and I hope to be joining you soon as an
A+ Certified Tech.

Jason

JohnCena

WOW Good marks you got. I m also planning to take exam next week. I
using www.coreexams.com material. Material i really helpful