Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > bad motherboard, maybe??

Reply
Thread Tools

bad motherboard, maybe??

 
 
Jason Peavey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2005
Ok, first off let me state that I am both A+ and Network+ certified, and now
I've chosen to go after a Novell Netware Administrator certificate. However,
even though you might not know much about server software, this is
potentially a hardware issue, which is probably best posted in this
newsgroup.

My mobo for an Athlon-64 in March of this year had a few bugs to it. Onboard
audio and lan were causing lockups in Windows XP and I had to disable them,
installing seperate pci cards for these features. Problem solved.

Well, since then I've installed a second hard drive. I decided since I was
studying Novell Netware, I would install the server software on disk 1 and
Windows XP on disk 2, installing them in that order. Unfortunately, I was
never able to complete the Novell installation, but this shouldn't matter,
because Novell uses DOS to boot. So the short answer is: DOS is on disk 1.
OK. So when I power it on, it will give me a boot menu with those two
options (1. Unknown operating system on drive C, and 2. Windows XP
Professional). I continued using this method to get into XP successfully,
80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, instead of getting a boot menu
it would say, "The boot devices have changed". The solution to this problem,
oddly enough, was to disconnect the IDE cable from both drives and from the
motherboard, and reconnect them. So it sounds like a loose or faulty cable,
which I replace. Doesn't make the problem go away.

Since then, I've tried eliminating drive 2 from the equation. No Windows
operating system. Still cannot install Novell Netware. One time during
installation it gave me "[NAMEOFHARDDRIVE] has been deactivated due to a
device failure". Other times, there have been lockups with no explanation of
why. A tech friend of mine who uses Netware seems to think it is definitely
a hardware issue.

Let me state that all cards have been tested, the 1st drive has been tested,
and the second drive almost always loaded Windows XP and ran successfully
without conflict (and would stay on days at a time). RAM also tested. Let me
also state that Netware is not so user-friendly in hardware detection as
Windows is, because NW servers are normally pre-approved for compatibility.

Could it be the motherboard, given my previous issues with onboard features
failing, and also the mysterious "boot devices have changed" message?????


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2005
Jason Peavey wrote:
> Ok, first off let me state that I am both A+ and Network+ certified, and now
> I've chosen to go after a Novell Netware Administrator certificate. However,
> even though you might not know much about server software, this is
> potentially a hardware issue, which is probably best posted in this
> newsgroup.
>
> My mobo for an Athlon-64 in March of this year had a few bugs to it. Onboard
> audio and lan were causing lockups in Windows XP and I had to disable them,
> installing seperate pci cards for these features. Problem solved.
>
> Well, since then I've installed a second hard drive. I decided since I was
> studying Novell Netware, I would install the server software on disk 1 and
> Windows XP on disk 2, installing them in that order. Unfortunately, I was
> never able to complete the Novell installation, but this shouldn't matter,
> because Novell uses DOS to boot. So the short answer is: DOS is on disk 1.
> OK. So when I power it on, it will give me a boot menu with those two
> options (1. Unknown operating system on drive C, and 2. Windows XP
> Professional). I continued using this method to get into XP successfully,
> 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, instead of getting a boot menu
> it would say, "The boot devices have changed". The solution to this problem,
> oddly enough, was to disconnect the IDE cable from both drives and from the
> motherboard, and reconnect them. So it sounds like a loose or faulty cable,
> which I replace. Doesn't make the problem go away.
>
> Since then, I've tried eliminating drive 2 from the equation. No Windows
> operating system. Still cannot install Novell Netware. One time during
> installation it gave me "[NAMEOFHARDDRIVE] has been deactivated due to a
> device failure". Other times, there have been lockups with no explanation of
> why. A tech friend of mine who uses Netware seems to think it is definitely
> a hardware issue.
>
> Let me state that all cards have been tested, the 1st drive has been tested,
> and the second drive almost always loaded Windows XP and ran successfully
> without conflict (and would stay on days at a time). RAM also tested. Let me
> also state that Netware is not so user-friendly in hardware detection as
> Windows is, because NW servers are normally pre-approved for compatibility.
>
> Could it be the motherboard, given my previous issues with onboard features
> failing, and also the mysterious "boot devices have changed" message?????
>
>


Why are you posting a (potential) hardware problem on the A+ forum?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Hough
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-26-2005


Are you running an 80 conductor cable, both drives set to cable select?
pin 1 on the stripe at all three connections?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom MacIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2005
On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:31:23 GMT, Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jason Peavey wrote:
>> Ok, first off let me state that I am both A+ and Network+ certified, and now
>> I've chosen to go after a Novell Netware Administrator certificate. However,
>> even though you might not know much about server software, this is
>> potentially a hardware issue, which is probably best posted in this
>> newsgroup.


Maybe not the best, but...
>
>Why are you posting a (potential) hardware problem on the A+ forum?


Because A+ candidates will be ultimately working on them?

People post computer-related problems on the electronics related
groups all the time, and they are usually well-recieved by most.

Next, we'll be down to
relationship-solving.for.red-haired.girls.with.tall.left-handed.boyfriends.who.
work.as.musicians...

Tom
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jason Peavey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2005

"David Hough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:J82dnVCKoYlQw8LenZ2dnUVZ_s2dnZ2d@metrocastcab levision.com...
>
>
> Are you running an 80 conductor cable, both drives set to cable select?
> pin 1 on the stripe at all three connections?


I've been able to boot with both of them configured properly, pins cables
and everything. DOS on primary master and Windows XP on primary slave. When
I've turned the PC on it will ask which I'd like to boot to. Occassionally,
but not often, it will give me a boot error. But as stated in my original
post, I've even tried eliminating XP and the second disk, and Novell Netware
still won't install using DOS due to a device failure. Now of course, this
could be anything, really, but aside from having boot problems, my
motherboard's onboard LAN and audio neither work. So I've begun to think my
motherboard is the problem. I've sent it away for a replacement which should
arrive next week and I'll let everyone know what's going on.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jason Peavey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2005

"Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vAp7f.23958$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Jason Peavey wrote:
> > Ok, first off let me state that I am both A+ and Network+ certified, and

now
> > I've chosen to go after a Novell Netware Administrator certificate.

However,
> > even though you might not know much about server software, this is
> > potentially a hardware issue, which is probably best posted in this
> > newsgroup.
> >
> > My mobo for an Athlon-64 in March of this year had a few bugs to it.

Onboard
> > audio and lan were causing lockups in Windows XP and I had to disable

them,
> > installing seperate pci cards for these features. Problem solved.
> >
> > Well, since then I've installed a second hard drive. I decided since I

was
> > studying Novell Netware, I would install the server software on disk 1

and
> > Windows XP on disk 2, installing them in that order. Unfortunately, I

was
> > never able to complete the Novell installation, but this shouldn't

matter,
> > because Novell uses DOS to boot. So the short answer is: DOS is on disk

1.
> > OK. So when I power it on, it will give me a boot menu with those two
> > options (1. Unknown operating system on drive C, and 2. Windows XP
> > Professional). I continued using this method to get into XP

successfully,
> > 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, instead of getting a boot

menu
> > it would say, "The boot devices have changed". The solution to this

problem,
> > oddly enough, was to disconnect the IDE cable from both drives and from

the
> > motherboard, and reconnect them. So it sounds like a loose or faulty

cable,
> > which I replace. Doesn't make the problem go away.
> >
> > Since then, I've tried eliminating drive 2 from the equation. No Windows
> > operating system. Still cannot install Novell Netware. One time during
> > installation it gave me "[NAMEOFHARDDRIVE] has been deactivated due to a
> > device failure". Other times, there have been lockups with no

explanation of
> > why. A tech friend of mine who uses Netware seems to think it is

definitely
> > a hardware issue.
> >
> > Let me state that all cards have been tested, the 1st drive has been

tested,
> > and the second drive almost always loaded Windows XP and ran

successfully
> > without conflict (and would stay on days at a time). RAM also tested.

Let me
> > also state that Netware is not so user-friendly in hardware detection as
> > Windows is, because NW servers are normally pre-approved for

compatibility.
> >
> > Could it be the motherboard, given my previous issues with onboard

features
> > failing, and also the mysterious "boot devices have changed"

message?????
> >
> >

>
> Why are you posting a (potential) hardware problem on the A+ forum?


When you fail the core exam, I guess you'll find out


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jason Peavey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2005
Just thought everyone might like to know that it WAS, in fact, the
motherboard. Swapped it and everything is super now.







 
Reply With Quote
 
J. Clarke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-26-2005
Jason Peavey wrote:

> Ok, first off let me state that I am both A+ and Network+ certified, and
> now I've chosen to go after a Novell Netware Administrator certificate.
> However, even though you might not know much about server software, this
> is potentially a hardware issue, which is probably best posted in this
> newsgroup.
>
> My mobo for an Athlon-64 in March of this year had a few bugs to it.
> Onboard audio and lan were causing lockups in Windows XP and I had to
> disable them, installing seperate pci cards for these features. Problem
> solved.
>
> Well, since then I've installed a second hard drive. I decided since I was
> studying Novell Netware, I would install the server software on disk 1 and
> Windows XP on disk 2, installing them in that order. Unfortunately, I was
> never able to complete the Novell installation, but this shouldn't matter,
> because Novell uses DOS to boot. So the short answer is: DOS is on disk 1.
> OK. So when I power it on, it will give me a boot menu with those two
> options (1. Unknown operating system on drive C, and 2. Windows XP
> Professional). I continued using this method to get into XP successfully,
> 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, instead of getting a boot menu
> it would say, "The boot devices have changed". The solution to this
> problem, oddly enough, was to disconnect the IDE cable from both drives
> and from the motherboard, and reconnect them. So it sounds like a loose or
> faulty cable, which I replace. Doesn't make the problem go away.
>
> Since then, I've tried eliminating drive 2 from the equation. No Windows
> operating system. Still cannot install Novell Netware. One time during
> installation it gave me "[NAMEOFHARDDRIVE] has been deactivated due to a
> device failure". Other times, there have been lockups with no explanation
> of why. A tech friend of mine who uses Netware seems to think it is
> definitely a hardware issue.
>
> Let me state that all cards have been tested, the 1st drive has been
> tested, and the second drive almost always loaded Windows XP and ran
> successfully without conflict (and would stay on days at a time). RAM also
> tested. Let me also state that Netware is not so user-friendly in hardware
> detection as Windows is, because NW servers are normally pre-approved for
> compatibility.
>
> Could it be the motherboard, given my previous issues with onboard
> features failing, and also the mysterious "boot devices have changed"
> message?????


If the RAM is ECC, I'd swap it out for Crucial first, and ECC if the baord
supports it--flaky RAM can look like just about _anything_.

Beyond that, do the Netware IDE drivers support the chipset on that board?
If not, it's not going to be able to access the drive, hence the device
failure. It's a common misconception that Novell runs on top of DOS and
accesses the disks through the DOS calls--it doesn't, it uses DOS for a
boot loader but does not make use of any part of DOS once it has loaded.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
integer >= 1 == True and integer.0 == False is bad, bad, bad!!! rantingrick Python 44 07-13-2010 06:33 PM
Bad media, bad files or bad Nero? John Computer Information 23 01-08-2008 09:17 PM
ActiveX apologetic Larry Seltzer... "Sun paid for malicious ActiveX code, and Firefox is bad, bad bad baad. please use ActiveX, it's secure and nice!" (ok, the last part is irony on my part) fernando.cassia@gmail.com Java 0 04-16-2005 10:05 PM
24 Season 3 Bad Bad Bad (Spoiler) nospam@nospam.com DVD Video 12 02-23-2005 03:28 AM
24 Season 3 Bad Bad Bad (Spoiler) nospam@nospam.com DVD Video 0 02-19-2005 01:10 AM



Advertisments