Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > computer does not boot, help

computer does not boot, help

Sean Cleary

Hi,
I got a strange problem. (Win98/95).

The computer boots off the floppie, and notes that it has 128M of
memory.
When the computer boots off the hard drive, the computer halts in the
boot process and displays this error message:

While initializing device IOS:
Error: An I/O subsystem driver failed to load.
Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt
or the system is low on memory.

I have just got one computer free of a nasty virus, and used that
computer
and the Kaspersky pro antivirus checker to get the above drive to be
free of viruses(*1). I then loaded Win95 and after that Win98.

When I got frustrated with the above message I blew off user.dat and
system.dat. I also blew off the iosubsys directory. And win.com, and
then reloaded the two part os load. I was hoping that a fresh start
would keep my data, even if the registry is now history.

Any help? Any ideas?

Sean Cleary

(*1) by setting the drives on the same cable in the non infected
computer and booting to the non infected drive and then scanning the
infected drive. This took a while, mostly getting the first drive to a
reported non-infected state.

Adam Leinss

"Sean Cleary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> When I got frustrated with the above message I blew off user.dat
> and system.dat. I also blew off the iosubsys directory. And
> win.com, and then reloaded the two part os load. I was hoping that
> a fresh start would keep my data, even if the registry is now
> history.
>
> Any help? Any ideas?

I'm confused...if you blew away the registry and therefore Windows, why
not just blow away the whole Windows directory and do a clean install?

Adam

Sean Cleary

Actually, later I did. So thank you for your advice.
I still do not know what happened or why. I would like to know. I
followed this post by looking at the boot log. The iosubsys directory
was installing as Win98\system\iosubsys, but the system was looking for
the files at win98\iosubsys. Even when that was corrected by copying
the iosubsys directory there, things did not get enough better to boot.
And when I started moving the files noted in bootlog.txt from the good
pc, even that did not signifigantly improve things.

But, yes, at the last, I did realize (a bit slowly) that there was
nothing that I was really protecting.
Sean