Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > W98 on a XP Workgroup?

W98 on a XP Workgroup?

6ftplus

as W98 is Fat32 and XP is mostly NTFS can you have a W98 machine on a
small XP workgroup.
lets say W98 is Fat32, and the XP workgroup is all NTFS?
i can't seem to connect the W98 machine so i was wondering if the
problem is down to file systems? thanks.

Tony

Are you sure you are in the same workgroup? If so, can the other members of the workgroup see you?
Any firewall issues preventing you from seeing them. Can you ping the others?. Can they ping you?
Does the 98 machine have file sharing enabled?

Your problem might have more to do with permissions than anything elseCreate a user name and
password that is identical to one fo the other machines and log in as that name. Does that let you
see the workgroup?

Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:15:04 GMT, Barry Watzman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There is ***NO*** filesystem over a network, so the answer is yes.
>
>Over a network, all that is seen by other computers accessing the shared
>drive is the contents of the file; the filesystem containing the file is
>"transparent" and is only seen by the single computer on which the file
>physically resides.
>
>You have a different problem.
>

>6ftplus wrote:
>> as W98 is Fat32 and XP is mostly NTFS can you have a W98 machine on a
>> small XP workgroup.
>> lets say W98 is Fat32, and the XP workgroup is all NTFS?
>> i can't seem to connect the W98 machine so i was wondering if the
>> problem is down to file systems? thanks.

AG

"6ftplus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> as W98 is Fat32 and XP is mostly NTFS can you have a W98 machine on a
> small XP workgroup.
> lets say W98 is Fat32, and the XP workgroup is all NTFS?
> i can't seem to connect the W98 machine so i was wondering if the
> problem is down to file systems? thanks.

As others have said, file system doesn't matter across a network. You don't
have any trouble accessing Linux, NT, 2000 or 2003 servers across the
internet do you? Yes it's a different sort of limited access but it is
access if you think about it.
When you share file access or anything else across a network, whether it's a
printer, storage space, or web pages the resource is what is shared not a
file system.

AG

William Conley

On 13 Sep 2005 05:01:42 -0700, "6ftplus" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>as W98 is Fat32 and XP is mostly NTFS can you have a W98 machine on a
>small XP workgroup.
>lets say W98 is Fat32, and the XP workgroup is all NTFS?
>i can't seem to connect the W98 machine so i was wondering if the
>problem is down to file systems? thanks.

I have Several W98's online with ME, XP (home and pro), 2000 Server &
Server 2003.
It has to do with the language they use to speak to one another. Not
the language they use to write to their own drives.
Netbios, TCP/IP are the languages of choice for ethernet
communications. Netbios generally for workgroup communications, but
TCP/IP is the present standard since it can be used for workgroups AND
the internet and larger Local networks.
First establish that you have physical connection to your
Hub/Switch/Router on all affected machines. Then it will depend on
your setup.

What's your setup? (Hub/Switch/Router)

6ftplus

thanks guys. went through all the processes again listed here and hey
presto. don't u love it when it works.
thanks to alll who helped.