Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > displaying a PC test machine?

displaying a PC test machine?

6ftplus

i was thinking of displaying a PC test machine, without the case for my
class. it would have MB cpu ram psu etc but instead of enclosed in a
case i would have it in the open. has anyone tried this for a display
model.
i am thinking what is the best surface to place it on?

JohnO

>i was thinking of displaying a PC test machine, without the case for my
> class. it would have MB cpu ram psu etc but instead of enclosed in a
> case i would have it in the open. has anyone tried this for a display
> model.
> i am thinking what is the best surface to place it on?

We used to put them on triple layers of cardboard at ZDS, but plywood would
probably look nicer. ATP (http://www.atp-p51.com/) has a nice metal case. If
you buy one, be sure to tell Bob I sent you.

-John O

One thing I've seen work well in the past is to use a sheet of peg board.
The same style that is used to hang up your tools in the garage. You can get
it in white as well as the natural color.
Using the peg board allows you to use zip ties to secure some of the
components easily and when you wish to swap components you do not need to
drill new holes to fit whatever new item you are adding. I would recommend
that you use the standoff's supplied with the motherboard however to secure
it to the board as it could possibly be easy to slip while trimming the ties
and then damage the board.
Framing the peg board with 1 x 2 firing strips gives it structural stability
while still making the board lightweight and mildly portable.

Pat

"6ftplus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> i was thinking of displaying a PC test machine, without the case for my
> class. it would have MB cpu ram psu etc but instead of enclosed in a
> case i would have it in the open. has anyone tried this for a display
> model.
> i am thinking what is the best surface to place it on?

6ftplus

are you talking a normal PC case, but clear? do you know who may sell
one? thanks.

mike

really neat would be the MOBO in a small aquarium filled with vegetable or
silicon-based oil...
all drives incl hdd would have to out & dry