Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Hard drive / motherboard problem

Hard drive / motherboard problem

SBFan2000

About a week ago my primary boot drive made a loud click stopped spinning
then would spin back up, this caused windows to freeze. I replaced the
ribbon and ran WD Datalifegaurd, it found no errors. It did it several
times and cycling power fixed it and it worked for a couple days and did it
again. This time I just hit reset instead of turning off the power hopeing
that this would allow DLG to find an error code, it did, got error code 0135
which is a communication time out. Readme said to replace cable which I had
already done. Went and bought a new drive, installed and worked for 1 day
and started doing it again on one of my Raid drives. While testing the raid
drive (0135) I also got a 0135 from the brand new drive. I have all new
cables coming to replace all the cables in the tower. My next thought is
the motherboard but its not even three years old and isn't it weird that its
happening on various IDE controllers?

Any thoughts out there?

Glenn

SBFan2000

Another thought, Could it be the power supply sending out slighting less
power then it should be? Could that be causing the drives to reset and
freeze windows? This would explain why the problem is not confined to one
controller.

"SBFan2000" <mocaveboyNOSP#(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> About a week ago my primary boot drive made a loud click stopped spinning
> then would spin back up, this caused windows to freeze. I replaced the
> ribbon and ran WD Datalifegaurd, it found no errors. It did it several
> times and cycling power fixed it and it worked for a couple days and did

it
> again. This time I just hit reset instead of turning off the power

hopeing
> that this would allow DLG to find an error code, it did, got error code

0135
> which is a communication time out. Readme said to replace cable which I

had
> already done. Went and bought a new drive, installed and worked for 1 day
> and started doing it again on one of my Raid drives. While testing the

raid
> drive (0135) I also got a 0135 from the brand new drive. I have all new
> cables coming to replace all the cables in the tower. My next thought is
> the motherboard but its not even three years old and isn't it weird that

its
> happening on various IDE controllers?
>
> Any thoughts out there?
>
> Glenn

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

SBFan2000

Gigabyte P4Titan533 motherboard, Antec 450w PS, No overclocking. (W2K) I
have already ordered a new 500wPS and brand new ATA133 cables. Hoping its
not the motherboard but considering it has happened to three different
drives over the course of a week. Cycling the power always resets the
drives. Considering it has happened on three different drives I'm thinking
its unlikely that two of three of the controllers could have gone bad?
Checked the current PS with a MM and voltages were fine but they were
fluxuating under and over alot so hoping thats it.

Glenn

news:B%QQe.3415$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...