Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Laptop Power Problems

Reply
Thread Tools

Laptop Power Problems

 
 
Mozes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2005
I have a Dell 600M laptop, the battery is totally dead, however it has been
working fine using the AC Power cord. Now, all of a sudden it shuts down
randomly by itself.

I think it maybe because of the battery, please advise.

Thx
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mozes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2005
It's not the battery, I'm wondering if the motherboard could be over
heating.

Again, please advise.

Thx

Mozes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns96BAEEA3F3040Mozeshotmailcom@69.28.186.121 :

> I have a Dell 600M laptop, the battery is totally dead, however it has
> been working fine using the AC Power cord. Now, all of a sudden it
> shuts down randomly by itself.
>
> I think it maybe because of the battery, please advise.
>
> Thx
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Glenn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2005
NUTS. I have worked for IBM for 42 years and have NEVER encountered this.

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

> Mozes wrote:
>
>>It's not the battery, I'm wondering if the motherboard could be over
>>heating.
>>
>>Again, please advise.
>>
>>Thx

>
>
>
> If the motherboard has the typical switching power supply for the CPU
> it probably has defective electrolytic capacitors. They have dried out
> and now have a high ESR. I have a stack of motherboards waiting for
> replacement caps so I can put them back into computers. This is a
> common fault on motherboards because the heat from the processor damages
> the CPU power supply. The electrolytics are typically designed for a
> 1000 hour life at their rated operating temperature.
>
> I realize this goes beyond the a+ discussions, but it is a common
> problem encountered while repairing computers.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom MacIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2005
On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:18:08 GMT, Glenn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>NUTS. I have worked for IBM for 42 years and have NEVER encountered this.
>


I guess you've never done component-level electronics repair.
Electrolytic capacitor failure is probably the most common fault in
any device that uses them.

Tom


>Michael A. Terrell wrote:
>
>> Mozes wrote:
>>
>>>It's not the battery, I'm wondering if the motherboard could be over
>>>heating.
>>>
>>>Again, please advise.
>>>
>>>Thx

>>
>>
>>
>> If the motherboard has the typical switching power supply for the CPU
>> it probably has defective electrolytic capacitors. They have dried out
>> and now have a high ESR. I have a stack of motherboards waiting for
>> replacement caps so I can put them back into computers. This is a
>> common fault on motherboards because the heat from the processor damages
>> the CPU power supply. The electrolytics are typically designed for a
>> 1000 hour life at their rated operating temperature.
>>
>> I realize this goes beyond the a+ discussions, but it is a common
>> problem encountered while repairing computers.
>>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop A -> Wireless Router -> Laptop B and Laptop C ??? rafael Wireless Networking 7 01-21-2008 02:10 AM
High Power 560Watt Power Supply HPC-560-A12C @ ThinkComputers.org Silverstrand Front Page News 0 02-21-2006 10:25 PM
laptop AC power vs. battery power mb_ Computer Support 7 10-15-2005 04:04 AM
AOpen Prima Power AO700-12ALN 700W Power Supply Review Silverstrand Front Page News 5 08-29-2005 11:38 AM
HEC Ace Power 580UB 580Watt power supply Silverstrand Front Page News 0 07-23-2005 03:04 PM



Advertisments