Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Most valuable cert. for a newbie?

Most valuable cert. for a newbie?

dannobyte

In your opinion which would be the most valuable certification to achieve
when starting out in the IT industry?

It has removed 8196 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Gary

Experience...........

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:51:14 GMT, "dannobyte" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In your opinion which would be the most valuable certification to achieve
>when starting out in the IT industry?

smackedass

> I know some poeple out of college who don't know their a$$ from a hole in
> the ground. =)

Don't we all. But for some reason, they often manage to get hired in front
of the rest of us.

sa

Tom MacIntyre

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:52:32 GMT, "Robert"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:5I7Ne.9470$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>> I'm going to say that none of us really mean to be especially sarcastic,
>> but suffice to say, certs are only ancilliary to a technician's entire
>> chest of knowledge. Yeah, they're good to have, some employers demand
>> them, but there's no substitute for real experience, or for a college
>> degree.
>>
>> smackedass
>>

>I know some poeple out of college who don't know their a$$ from a hole in
>the ground. =)

Operative word here is "some"...I know some people who didn't go to
college who have a chip on their shoulders about those who did, also.

Tom

Christopher Range

Tom MacIntyre wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:52:32 GMT, "Robert"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:5I7Ne.9470$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
>>
>>>I'm going to say that none of us really mean to be especially sarcastic,
>>>but suffice to say, certs are only ancilliary to a technician's entire
>>>chest of knowledge. Yeah, they're good to have, some employers demand
>>>them, but there's no substitute for real experience, or for a college
>>>degree.
>>>
>>>smackedass
>>>

>>I know some poeple out of college who don't know their a$$ from a hole in
>>the ground. =)
>>

> Operative word here is "some"...I know some people who didn't go to
> college who have a chip on their shoulders about those who did, also.
>
> Tom

I will admit to having a 'chip on my shoulder' because, some of the Tech
Support people I have come across, that have college degrees, know
squat, not only about Tech Support, but also, Public Relations. I end
up having to teach them, to get my answer.

I am studying to get my A+, Net+ and, Server+. Despite not having certs
yet, or any degrees outright, I don't treat people like 'blithering
idiots', regardless of, if they behave like them around a PC.

Christopher

Tom MacIntyre

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 17:00:51 -0500, Christopher Range
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tom MacIntyre wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:52:32 GMT, "Robert"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>"smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:5I7Ne.9470$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...

>>>I know some poeple out of college who don't know their a$$ from a hole in
>>>the ground. =)
>>>

>> Operative word here is "some"...I know some people who didn't go to
>> college who have a chip on their shoulders about those who did, also.
>>
>> Tom

>I will admit to having a 'chip on my shoulder' because, some of the Tech
>Support people I have come across, that have college degrees, know
>squat, not only about Tech Support, but also, Public Relations. I end
>up having to teach them, to get my answer.
>
>I am studying to get my A+, Net+ and, Server+. Despite not having certs
>yet, or any degrees outright, I don't treat people like 'blithering
>idiots', regardless of, if they behave like them around a PC.
>
>Christopher

You are right...it doesn't necessarily follow that a degreed person is
the best "fit", at least.

Tom

J. Clarke

Christopher Range wrote:

> Tom MacIntyre wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:52:32 GMT, "Robert"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>"smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:5I7Ne.9470$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...

>>>I know some poeple out of college who don't know their a$$ from a hole in
>>>the ground. =)
>>>

>> Operative word here is "some"...I know some people who didn't go to
>> college who have a chip on their shoulders about those who did, also.
>>
>> Tom

> I will admit to having a 'chip on my shoulder' because, some of the Tech
> Support people I have come across, that have college degrees, know
> squat, not only about Tech Support, but also, Public Relations. I end
> up having to teach them, to get my answer.
>
> I am studying to get my A+, Net+ and, Server+. Despite not having certs
> yet, or any degrees outright, I don't treat people like 'blithering
> idiots', regardless of, if they behave like them around a PC.

After 8 years in college and several degrees, I learned more in the first 30
days on the job than I learned in _all_ that education. Wish I hadn't
wasted so much time in school now.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

thcollicutt@gmail.com

I know some cert folk who can paper their walls, with 5+ years of
experience who don't know anything. Can't really generalize.

Edward A. Weissbard

I would say what is more important and valuable
is................experience. The certification is only a doorway to
continue learning on the job.

--
Edward A. Weissbard
El Paso, TX