Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Computer Toolkit

Computer Toolkit

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 01:38:20 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tom MacIntyre wrote:
>>
>> You're the same guy who posts in the electronics groups, right?
>>
>> Tom

> Guilty as charged! I was checking out this newsgroup because I
>have some kids at my church who want to learn to repair computers, and I
>would like to help them get their certification so they can look for a
>job right after they graduate. If I had a little more money, I would
>open a shop again, to put them to work.

Good gang here...I've been hanging around for 6 years or more.

No doubt you'll get some basic electronics into their blood also?

Tom

Tom MacIntyre

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 09:19:38 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tom MacIntyre wrote:
>>
>> Good gang here...I've been hanging around for 6 years or more.
>>
>> No doubt you'll get some basic electronics into their blood also?
>>
>> Tom

> Of course! A good tech understands the basics. I also plan to teach
>them how to deal with the public

A very important aspect of this business.

Years back, I was in a job competition to be a video lottery terminal
technician. I was screened in on the basis of my resume/application,
and was scheduled to be tested at a later date. Test day...here were
about 20 of us in the room, wondering what the test was all about. The
test administrators (if the test was fixed, would they be test
administraitors? hahaha) came in, and told us that we had already been
assessed as to our technical background, and the test we were to take
was all about...customer service. A McGraw-Hill standardized test, as
a matter of fact.

I bought a book at a second-hand book store years ago...I think it was
entitled "The Zen of Computer Repair". It was also mainly about
customer service.

Maybe CompTIA should create a Customer Service+ certification...

Tom

> and how to run a small business. Also,
>I am trying to find a place to set up a computer lab to offer basic
>computer courses, but run it more like a computer club so people can
>work and learn at their own pace.

JohnO

> Maybe CompTIA should create a Customer Service+ certification...

It used to be 10% of one of the exams, then it was scored separately and not
counted towards pass/fail, and eventually removed. The problem was the way
questions were asked; the correct anser was always arguable. The correct CS
solution depends upon a lot of factors, and CompTIA and its SMEs couldn't
agree on how to handle this.

-John O

Tom MacIntyre

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 15:04:25 GMT, "JohnO" <johno@@&%heathkit##.com>
wrote:

>> Maybe CompTIA should create a Customer Service+ certification...
>>

>It used to be 10% of one of the exams, then it was scored separately and not
>counted towards pass/fail, and eventually removed. The problem was the way
>questions were asked; the correct anser was always arguable. The correct CS
>solution depends upon a lot of factors, and CompTIA and its SMEs couldn't
>agree on how to handle this.
>
>-John O

Just like a lot of interview questions...a real-life scenario can't be
wrong, but a hypothetical one often finds the interviewers looking for
pat answers.

Tom

Joe

Take a look at www.toolkits.com