Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Computer Toolkit

Reply
Thread Tools

Computer Toolkit

 
 
Adam Leinss
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2005
What kind of tool kits are people using to fix PCs? I'm looking for a
computer toolkit that includes a mini-vacumm, swabs and a mini-duster,
plus all the cool toys (screw drivers, wire strippers,etc). I can find
one or the other, but not both in one kit. For example: there's the
Curtis 145 piece toolkit, but from what I can tell no swabs or duster.
There's the Belkin 65 piece kit which includes the duster, cable ties,
swabs, etc., but not many tools.

Thanks,
Adam
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JohnO
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2005
> What kind of tool kits are people using to fix PCs? I'm looking for a
> computer toolkit that includes a mini-vacumm, swabs and a mini-duster,
> plus all the cool toys (screw drivers, wire strippers,etc). I can find
> one or the other, but not both in one kit. For example: there's the
> Curtis 145 piece toolkit, but from what I can tell no swabs or duster.
> There's the Belkin 65 piece kit which includes the duster, cable ties,
> swabs, etc., but not many tools.


IME, the kits never have great tools, and they don't have the tools that
match up to your specific skills.

So, make your own. Buy good tools when you find them, and build the kit as
you go.

-John O


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JohnO
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2005
> What kind of tool kits are people using to fix PCs? I'm looking for a
> computer toolkit that includes a mini-vacumm, swabs and a mini-duster,
> plus all the cool toys (screw drivers, wire strippers,etc). I can find
> one or the other, but not both in one kit. For example: there's the
> Curtis 145 piece toolkit, but from what I can tell no swabs or duster.
> There's the Belkin 65 piece kit which includes the duster, cable ties,
> swabs, etc., but not many tools.


IME, the kits never have great tools, and they don't have the tools that
match up to your specific skills.

So, make your own. Buy good tools when you find them, and build the kit as
you go.

-John O


 
Reply With Quote
 
JohnO
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2005
> What kind of tool kits are people using to fix PCs? I'm looking for a
> computer toolkit that includes a mini-vacumm, swabs and a mini-duster,
> plus all the cool toys (screw drivers, wire strippers,etc). I can find
> one or the other, but not both in one kit. For example: there's the
> Curtis 145 piece toolkit, but from what I can tell no swabs or duster.
> There's the Belkin 65 piece kit which includes the duster, cable ties,
> swabs, etc., but not many tools.


IME, the kits never have great tools, and they don't have the tools that
match up to your specific skills.

So, make your own. Buy good tools when you find them, and build the kit as
you go.

-John O


 
Reply With Quote
 
Linker3000
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2005
JohnO wrote:
>>What kind of tool kits are people using to fix PCs? I'm looking for a
>>computer toolkit that includes a mini-vacumm, swabs and a mini-duster,
>>plus all the cool toys (screw drivers, wire strippers,etc). I can find
>>one or the other, but not both in one kit. For example: there's the
>>Curtis 145 piece toolkit, but from what I can tell no swabs or duster.
>>There's the Belkin 65 piece kit which includes the duster, cable ties,
>>swabs, etc., but not many tools.

>
>
> IME, the kits never have great tools, and they don't have the tools that
> match up to your specific skills.
>
> So, make your own. Buy good tools when you find them, and build the kit as
> you go.
>
> -John O
>
>

Agreed - and never go for a kit that includes DIP IC removal and
inserter tools!

I do not carry out a significant amount of 'field service' (been there,
done that) as my main role is now overall IT site management (for about
25 sites - I lose count!!) and the main hardware is covered by a
maintenance contract, but I still have a need to do 'admin' type stuff
such as: add and remove CD/DVD/disk drives, RAM, expansion cards etc.
and sometimes while I am on site I get the usual 'while you are here...'
stuff. Anything 'heavier' and I will call in the service company or take
the kit back to the office where I have a small range of diagnostic kit
but thesedays its generally quicker to test by substitution and I cannot
remember the last time I attacked a system board or monitor with a
soldering iron.

My main field kit is the size of a thick A5-size book and comprises:

A screwdriver handle that can take separate bits
A selection of flat blade, cross blade, nut spinner and torx bits for above
A separate T-6 Torx screwdriver for mobile phones/PDAs/Laptops etc
A security bit set for those manufacturers who don't want you to take
things apart!
An electronic mains tester screwdriver (not a neon one)
Electrical tweezers
Screw grabber ('pearl catcher')
Scalpel and blade
Natural bristle brush
Antistatic wrist strap
Tube for screws (yes, I really DO have one of those) with some spares in
it + some circuit board jumpers from old hard disks and system boards
A small pair of side cutters - mainly for cutting ty-wraps around power
cable bundles for when you need to free a power connector for a new hard
disk or other drive
A selection of mains fuses (UK 1" plugtop and 20mm types)
A couple of paper clips
A couple of spare blanking plates (they seem to multiply like tribbles!)
Fine tip black permanent marker pen
A couple of empty antistatic bags

Bumping around in a case in the car is a soldering iron, multimeter and
network media (cable) tester but these are rarely used (but damn handy
to have around when you *do* need them!)

L3K


 
Reply With Quote
 
janderson@axxonpc.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2005
"tube for Screws"

Funny, all mine are loose in the bottom of my bag.

Funnier, I can usually find the one I need too.

 
Reply With Quote
 
JohnO
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2005
> "tube for Screws"
>
> Funny, all mine are loose in the bottom of my bag.
>
> Funnier, I can usually find the one I need too.
>


....wave the magnetized screwdriver around down there, and they practically
jump out of the bag, hoping to be used.

-John O


 
Reply With Quote
 
Adam Leinss
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2005
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:4302a7a3.31544136
@news.east.earthlink.net:

> Build your own tool kit. And skip the tools found in the dollar
> store. Good tools will serve you well almost forever.
>
> As to what to put your tools in, I've not yet found much that works
> really well. I generally stay with the bags.
>
> Thomas Goodwin
> Central Florida


Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Adam
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom MacIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2005
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 05:25:58 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> I'm in the Orlando area.

>
>
> I used to work in Orlando. I was a broadcast engineer for WACX TV in
>the late '80s, and I worked for Sonnetec Systems for a while in the
>'90s. I used to make a lot of trips from northern Lake County to the
>Computer Warehouse and a couple other wholesale places for computer
>parts. I can't make the long drive anymore, because of severe Carpal
>Tunnel problems. I have a number of friends in your area that I've lost
>contact with after their ISP went belly up.


You have RSI also? I have for over 10 years. It's manageable now, but,
coupled with fine motor control difficulties and joint pain, even
dining can be an adventure.

I can just imagine doing in-circuit hot oscilloscope checks
now...Yikes!

Tom
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom MacIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2005
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:00:00 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tom MacIntyre wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 05:25:58 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> >>
>> >> I'm in the Orlando area.
>> >
>> >
>> > I used to work in Orlando. I was a broadcast engineer for WACX TV in
>> >the late '80s, and I worked for Sonnetec Systems for a while in the
>> >'90s. I used to make a lot of trips from northern Lake County to the
>> >Computer Warehouse and a couple other wholesale places for computer
>> >parts. I can't make the long drive anymore, because of severe Carpal
>> >Tunnel problems. I have a number of friends in your area that I've lost
>> >contact with after their ISP went belly up.

>>
>> You have RSI also? I have for over 10 years. It's manageable now, but,
>> coupled with fine motor control difficulties and joint pain, even
>> dining can be an adventure.
>>
>> I can just imagine doing in-circuit hot oscilloscope checks
>> now...Yikes!
>>
>> Tom

>
> I also have nerve damage in two fingers of my left hand and left arm,
>so repairing computers has become a hobby to replace building and
>testing 16 layer PC boards. I was able to do my own SMD rework under a
>stereo microscope, but no more.
>
> The VA has pretty well stopped doing the surgery locally, and the
>only thing they can do for the nerve damage is cut that nerve bundle in
>my upper arm and leave the whole outside part of my arm numb at all
>times, so I told them "No thank you!"


You're the same guy who posts in the electronics groups, right?

Tom
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vhdl toolkit without micro$oft? Jesper C VHDL 4 10-06-2003 08:41 AM
Enterprise Localization Framework/Toolkit - AutoPopulate : Does it work poorly or not at all? Eric ASP .Net 3 08-26-2003 05:37 PM
Can We Run Localization Toolkit in Commandline ??? Manish Pansiniya ASP .Net 6 07-14-2003 11:57 AM
SOAP Client creation in ASP.NET using MS SOAP Toolkit Sham Ramakrishnan ASP .Net 2 07-01-2003 11:29 AM



Advertisments