Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Dos Question

Re: Dos Question

Tmack

All right then young man,

I'm willing to bet that almost every other guy in this NG has spent
countless hours digging though technical manuals looking for that one
little command to fix a problem or to optimize a program.

For you to post such a rookie question is basically saying "I'm too
lazy to make a concerted effort to dig into this. I'm just going to
ask someone that knows".

Spend a little time researching stuff. I'll pay off in the end. All
of the information you sift through to get your answer will benefit you
in the long run.

There's a lot to learn, don't just depend on others to educate you.
Do your best to find answers to questions on your own and then ask for
help.

When you get a job in IT the last thing the other guys in the shop want
to deal with is a rookie asking basic questions. Everyone's too busy
for that. Everyone has their own job responsibilities to tend to. They
don't have time for questions like "what's pipe?".

I'm being a prick about this but the lesson for you is that if you
want to thrive, and not just survive, in this business you better get
used to pulling your own weight and stop depending on others.

Grasshopper, someday you'll thank me.

janderson@axxonpc.com

Although I do have the real bad habit of telling people to type "shift
colen"

Google for "pipe key"

The pipe key <|>, also known as the bar key or vertical bar, is found
above the backslash key <\>. It sees frequent use in C, C++, C# and
other programming languages where it serves as the "OR" symbol. A
single pipe indicates "bitwise OR," and two pipes together (||) signify
"logical OR." For example:

C = (A | B)

means "apply bit operations to A and B and put the result in C." That
is, if A is 0000 0110, and B is 1111 0000, then the result is:

A 0000 0110
B 1111 0000
--------------
C 1111 0110

which is bit-level arithmetic. If you're not a programmer, don't worry
about it. The use of double pipes, such as:

if(A > 0 || B >0)

is a logical statement that means, "If variable A is greater than 0, or
variable B is greater than 0, then do something."

In command-line environments such as DOS, the pipe symbol can add
functionality to a DOS command. The way I most frequently use it is
when doing a directory listing (DIR) on a large directory with hundreds
of files. Say I type "DIR" at the command prompt like so:

C:\Una\Lesbian Porn>DIR

.. . . then the 22,000 files in that directory scroll past so fast I
can't see their names. However, if I apply the pipe function at the
command prompt like this:

C:\Una\Lesbian Porn>DIR | more

.. . . then the display will show me one screen of files at a time, with
a "More" at the bottom. To display the next screen of files, I hit any
key to continue, until all of the files in the directory have been
listed (or I break, by pressing Ctrl-C). What's happening is that the
pipe symbol causes the output of the DIR command to be "piped" to the
"More" (paging) command. You get pretty much the same result by using
the "/p" modifier, such as "DIR /p," to display directory information a
page at a time.

JohnO

> For you to post such a rookie question is basically saying "I'm too
> lazy to make a concerted effort to dig into this. I'm just going to
> ask someone that knows".

You are assuming WAY too much when you jump to that conclusion.

> When you get a job in IT the last thing the other guys in the shop want
> to deal with is a rookie asking basic questions. Everyone's too busy
> for that. Everyone has their own job responsibilities to tend to. They
> don't have time for questions like "what's pipe?".

Then they aren't team players, and groups of loners are much less productive
than teams.

> I'm being a prick about this
> but the lesson for you is that if you
> want to thrive, and not just survive, in this business you better get
> used to pulling your own weight and stop depending on others.

There are far more professional ways to make your point. If you're planning
to be a tech support pro, you better get used to answering easy questions
with more tact than you've shown here so far.

-John O

Tmack

Thumper,

Asshole is one word.

Tmack

Samckedass,

You have an inferiority complex.

And don't worry I'm doing this on your dime. I work for the
Government.

JohnO

> And don't worry I'm doing this on your dime. I work for the
> Government.

You do not...
http://www.marquisclassics.com/artists/mckenna_bio.html

http://www.npnweb.com/expertsonline/...na/default.asp

http://www.ps.org.nz/SITE_Default/SI...files/8950.pdf

Just kidding.

-John O

Tmack

Finally, someone with a sense of humor !

However, I do look like the guy in the last link.

Tom MacIntyre

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:17:11 -0400, Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>To TMak,
>Boy, I can't believe this. I'm 16 and went to computer camp and going
>to a tech High School in the fall. All I did was ask a question and I
>get crapped on. I was told Newsgroups like this would be helpful. I
>hope none of my teachers tell me to "Google it" when I ask for help. I
>hope you're not a teacher. And if you're a tech support person, I sure
>don't want to be one like you. I welcome criticism, but not with that
>"I'm god, I know it all, and own this newsgroup" attitude. I guess
>I'll just unsubscribe from this group. Thanks to the ones who stuck up
>for me.

Donlt let a single detractor here spoil it for you.

Tom

>>On 11 Aug 2005 12:54:02 -0700, "Tmack" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>My bad.
>>>
>>>I didn't realize that this is the
>>>alt.iDontKnowWhatTheKeysOnMyKeyboardDo user group.

>>When is that symbol used by the average person, though? Most people
>>who use a computer wouldn't even know what to call that, and many
>>other symbols as well, even if they have an idea of some of the uses.
>>Symbols such as ~, ^, *, \, <, and > would be rarely used, hence not
>>very well known either. ASCII art and the DOS pipe command are
>>presently the only uses I can think of for |.
>>
>>Tom

Tom MacIntyre

On 11 Aug 2005 15:03:35 -0700, "Tmack" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>All right then young man,
>
>I'm willing to bet that almost every other guy in this NG has spent
>countless hours digging though technical manuals looking for that one
>little command to fix a problem or to optimize a program.
>
>For you to post such a rookie question is basically saying "I'm too
>lazy to make a concerted effort to dig into this. I'm just going to
>ask someone that knows".
>
>Spend a little time researching stuff. I'll pay off in the end. >

How much will you pay?

Tom's Law...spelling and grammar flames can come back to haunt you.

Tom

Tom MacIntyre

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:56:45 -0400, Thumper <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 11 Aug 2005 15:03:35 -0700, "Tmack" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>All right then young man,
>>
>>I'm willing to bet that almost every other guy in this NG has spent
>>countless hours digging though technical manuals looking for that one
>>little command to fix a problem or to optimize a program.
>>
>>For you to post such a rookie question is basically saying "I'm too
>>lazy to make a concerted effort to dig into this. I'm just going to
>>ask someone that knows".
>>
>>Spend a little time researching stuff. I'll pay off in the end. All
>>of the information you sift through to get your answer will benefit you
>>in the long run.
>>
>>There's a lot to learn, don't just depend on others to educate you.
>>Do your best to find answers to questions on your own and then ask for
>>help.
>>
>>When you get a job in IT the last thing the other guys in the shop want
>>to deal with is a rookie asking basic questions. Everyone's too busy
>>for that. Everyone has their own job responsibilities to tend to. They
>>don't have time for questions like "what's pipe?".
>>
>>I'm being a prick about this but the lesson for you is that if you
>>want to thrive, and not just survive, in this business you better get
>>used to pulling your own weight and stop depending on others.
>>
>>Grasshopper, someday you'll thank me.

> I doubt it.
>
>There is nothing wrong with asking a question. If you don't want to
>answer just keep your mouth shut unless you have a compelling need to
>show your ass.
>Thumper

What's the old saying? There are no stupid questions, only stupid
answers.

Tom