Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Come on guys!

Come on guys!

Tmack

The reason I made that post is because I have the notification
subscription so every time I get the notification via email, I head on
over to the group to check things out.

I don't want to be notified of someone's PC problems. I'll sign
up for notification on a troubleshooting group if I want that.

I don't think it's unreasonable for me to ask that people use this
group for what it was originally intended for. And just because
that's the way things have always been, doesn't mean that's the
things always have to be.

There are plenty of troubleshooting groups for these guys to post to.

Pat

Tmack wrote:
> The reason I made that post is because I have the notification
> subscription so every time I get the notification via email, I head on
> over to the group to check things out.

So it's everyone else's problem that you're too ****ing stupid to
disable this feature, or use a real newsreader?

> I don't want to be notified of someone's PC problems. I'll sign
> up for notification on a troubleshooting group if I want that.

Then turn off the "auto-notification"! This should not be difficult.

> I don't think it's unreasonable for me to ask that people use this
> group for what it was originally intended for. And just because
> that's the way things have always been, doesn't mean that's the
> things always have to be.'

It is unreasonable for you to expect everyone to adapt to the way you
think a group should operate when you've been posting here a grand total
of a month. I know of no active group in the alt.* hierarchy that
doesn't venture slightly off-topic from time-to-time. The fact that you
are auto-notified every time a response is posted is *your* problem, not
mine. I couldn't care less about it.

Tmack

Then why such a childish response? Seems that the lady protest too much.

Pat

Tmack wrote:
> Then why such a childish response? Seems that the lady protest too much.

Seems like you're permanantly going into my killfile. **** off.

Tmack

I'm honored!

Pat

Thumper wrote:

> I've been on this group for a long time but rarely post. If things
> other than the same 20 A+ questions were not allowed no one would
> bother with this group. It would die. Many who come here are not only
> trying to pass the A+ test but are trying to learn more about
> computers. Question help us all learn. If you notice most
> troubleshooting questions are the type that help you learn, not just
> fix a computer.
> Thumper

Very well said. You hit on the points that I wanted to, but did so
without gratuitous use of the f-word (unlike me)

mike

if this group were ONLY about the 2 tests and not also about issues related
to the subject of the tests then there would be fewer & less interesting
posts and not much reason for those who have already passed the tests to
hang around & answer test-related questions

"Tmack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> The reason I made that post is because I have the notification
> subscription so every time I get the notification via email, I head on
> over to the group to check things out.
>
> I don't want to be notified of someone's PC problems. I'll sign
> up for notification on a troubleshooting group if I want that.
>
> I don't think it's unreasonable for me to ask that people use this
> group for what it was originally intended for. And just because
> that's the way things have always been, doesn't mean that's the
> things always have to be.
>
> There are plenty of troubleshooting groups for these guys to post to.

Unknown

"Tmack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1123707056.859208.94220
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I don't want to be notified of someone's PC problems. I'll sign
> up for notification on a troubleshooting group if I want that.

There's one thing that irritates me more than OTP...and that's self-
appointed newsgroup police.

MYOB, STFU and ignore the posts you don't want to read.

Paul in Australia

"Unknown" <parts@unknown> wrote in message
> "Tmack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1123707056.859208.94220
> @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I don't want to be notified of someone's PC problems. I'll sign
> > up for notification on a troubleshooting group if I want that.

> There's one thing that irritates me more than OTP...and that's self-
> appointed newsgroup police.
>
> MYOB, STFU and ignore the posts you don't want to read.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmen!

Linker3000

Tmack wrote:
> The reason I made that post is because I have the notification
> subscription so every time I get the notification via email, I head on
> over to the group to check things out.
>
> I don't want to be notified of someone's PC problems. I'll sign
> up for notification on a troubleshooting group if I want that.
>
> I don't think it's unreasonable for me to ask that people use this
> group for what it was originally intended for. And just because
> that's the way things have always been, doesn't mean that's the
> things always have to be.
>
> There are plenty of troubleshooting groups for these guys to post to.

I see you got a lot of flak for your post!!

I've been on this group for many years under a couple of nicknames and I
do have some empathy with your comments, but I also see some sense in
what others have said - mind you, I do not agree with some of the
off topic stuff here for those who have passed A+ but would not
otherwise stick around due to sheer boredom is stretching a point. What
might become 'old hat' to those who have passed their cert will always
be fresh to those who are just starting out - it's a revolving door
thing - those who think otherwise should consider my position:

I have written four sets of books on A+ (and two on N+, plus other
training material). In fact I wrote the first ever set used in the UK
for A+ training so if you are in the UK and have taken a classroom-based
A+ course it is highly likely that the material you used comes from a
set originally written by me, although I have not worked with the
publishers for about 5 years and what they have done with it since my
time is..well..another story!). I have also taught A+, N+, i-Net+,
Netware Administration and a host of other technical topics in the
classroom - I know the subjects inside and out and also worked with some
of the people who helped write the A+ syllabuses, so every time I
started a course I knew exactly what I was going to teach - in effect,
my whole time in the classroom was spent going over stuff I could do in
my sleep, but for every group of students it was new and interesting and
I had to make sure my presentations were likewise - if I started to
wander off topic or descend into monotone because the syllabus stuff was
'boring' for me then I'd end up with a whole class asleep, confused, and
unable to sit the tests.

Looking at some of the posts in these here parts over the last year or
so, many are way off A+ topic (reminder: this IS a newsgroup for A+
certification and nothing else) and I would not be surprised if someone
wandering over here to gain more knowledge on the A+ tests or syllabus
was put off by some of topics thinking that they needed to know much
more than the syllabus required but, hey, they know the folks in here
are keen and are likely to offer help - even if it starts with the
wonderful sentiment 'I've no experience of this but I'll offer some
advice anyway...'

If I had my way (unlikely!) I would encourage A+ 'graduates' to stick
around and help others with the syllabus BUT also lurk in other
technical groups to offer advice as appropriate AND encourage off-topic
posters to move their queries elsewhere, but I doubt it will happen.

If I was you I'd turn off the auto-notification!

L3K