Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > advice needed re: own business

Reply
Thread Tools

advice needed re: own business

 
 
mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-06-2005
been lurking here a couple years...

i'm 50 & trying to start pc help/repair business...
Montréal area, Quebec, Canada...

have paid to distribute small flyer to about 13,000 homes in well-to-do area
in a weekly bag of adverts that most do go thru...
less than 10 calls...
ad looked a lot like website:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/mikoel/

any advice is appreciated...
even flames

thanks,
mike.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2005
thanks for the good advice


"Thumper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 15:53:38 -0400, "mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>been lurking here a couple years...
>>
>>i'm 50 & trying to start pc help/repair business...
>>Montréal area, Quebec, Canada...
>>
>>have paid to distribute small flyer to about 13,000 homes in well-to-do
>>area
>>in a weekly bag of adverts that most do go thru...
>>less than 10 calls...
>>ad looked a lot like website:
>>

>
> First of all advertising takes time and petition. You really have to
> bombard people with your ads over and over again. A potential
> customer sees your ad then down the line has a problem but you have
> stopped advertising or are doing it at too great an interval. What
> does he do? He goes to the yellow pages or online but cannot remember
> who you are so just picks someone else. Net result? Your advertising
> helped someone else get a customer..
>
>
> Secondly, most customers won't now the symptoms of a virus etc so you
> should put in you ads and on your web site the symptoms of the most
> common problems. Don't make them diagnose the problem. Say something
> like computer slowing down?, Files missing? etc.
> Thirdly you must give them a reason to choose you. Put something in
> the ad like "Why Pay $100 an hour to fix your PC? "Will fix your
> computer without losing files." for just a couple of ideas. It
> doesn't matter if you ultimately have to lose the files. At least you
> will try.
>
> Fourthly, Get a professional web site as soon as possible. The more
> professional you look the better the customer will react.
>
> Lastly, go to Amazon.com and buy:
>
> Guerrilla Marketing: Secrets for Making Big Profits from Your Small
> Business (Paperback)
> by Jay Conrad Levinson "Marketing is everything you do to promote your
> business, from the moment you conceive of it to the point at which
> customers buy your product..." (more)
>
> and all the other books by Levinson you can buy. He'll tell you how
> to advertise without breaking the bank.
> Thumper
>
>
>
>>http://www3.sympatico.ca/mikoel/
>>
>>any advice is appreciated...
>>even flames
>>
>>thanks,
>>mike.
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tmack
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2005
I've thought about starting my own PC repair business for a long time
then finally decided the home PC was going to be obsolete within the
next 5-7 yrs.

Manufactures are moving towards an all-in-one entertainment unit that
will replace the PC in the home. It'll have PC, Internet, Gaming,
Stereo, TV, etc... Everything will be packaged in a single unit.

I think unless you have the resources to learn how to repair those
types of devices, your business may be doomed as consumers move away
from the traditional PC.

Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade but you asked for feedback.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom MacIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2005
On 10 Aug 2005 12:19:35 -0700, "Tmack" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've thought about starting my own PC repair business for a long time
>then finally decided the home PC was going to be obsolete within the
>next 5-7 yrs.
>
>Manufactures are moving towards an all-in-one entertainment unit that
>will replace the PC in the home. It'll have PC, Internet, Gaming,
>Stereo, TV, etc... Everything will be packaged in a single unit.
>
>I think unless you have the resources to learn how to repair those
>types of devices, your business may be doomed as consumers move away
>from the traditional PC.
>
>Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade but you asked for feedback.


What does this have to do with the CompTIA A+ certification?

Tom
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jamco
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2005
I would not think even consider doing business with you. Simply because
your website looks like it was made by a 12 year old.

My biggest advice would be to get a better website, and get it registered on
a .ca or .com website, not on your personal webspace.
Check out the competition for ideas.
You need to add more pages, such as
About us, Services/products, Price guide, contact us, free computer advice,
etc....
And perhaps instead of ever page in english and french, just make a welcome
page that asks you to choose english or french, then redirects you to the
approperiate site.

Good luck.
"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QB8Je.32298$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> been lurking here a couple years...
>
> i'm 50 & trying to start pc help/repair business...
> Montréal area, Quebec, Canada...
>
> have paid to distribute small flyer to about 13,000 homes in well-to-do
> area in a weekly bag of adverts that most do go thru...
> less than 10 calls...
> ad looked a lot like website:
>
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/mikoel/
>
> any advice is appreciated...
> even flames
>
> thanks,
> mike.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Tmack
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-10-2005
You're right.

 
Reply With Quote
 
mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-11-2005
thanks...

on one hand i agree & i have begun to work on a more professional-looking
web site...but i don't know if i'll use it... i prefer to look like an
uncomplicated, honest, one-man, local operation which i am

"Jamco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3rtKe.129812$wr.80389@clgrps12...
>I would not think even consider doing business with you. Simply because
>your website looks like it was made by a 12 year old.
>
> My biggest advice would be to get a better website, and get it registered
> on a .ca or .com website, not on your personal webspace.
> Check out the competition for ideas.
> You need to add more pages, such as
> About us, Services/products, Price guide, contact us, free computer
> advice, etc....
> And perhaps instead of ever page in english and french, just make a
> welcome page that asks you to choose english or french, then redirects you
> to the approperiate site.
>
> Good luck.
> "mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:QB8Je.32298$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> been lurking here a couple years...
>>
>> i'm 50 & trying to start pc help/repair business...
>> Montréal area, Quebec, Canada...
>>
>> have paid to distribute small flyer to about 13,000 homes in well-to-do
>> area in a weekly bag of adverts that most do go thru...
>> less than 10 calls...
>> ad looked a lot like website:
>>
>> http://www3.sympatico.ca/mikoel/
>>
>> any advice is appreciated...
>> even flames
>>
>> thanks,
>> mike.
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-11-2005
thanks again... funny, it seems i am now getting more calls due to the
flyers i sent out 2 months ago than i did soon after sending... i am toying
with a more professional-looking website, but don't know if i want to look
like all the local shops... the book you suggested will arrive this week
along with the accompanying handbook

thanks again,
mike.


"Thumper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 15:53:38 -0400, "mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>been lurking here a couple years...
>>
>>i'm 50 & trying to start pc help/repair business...
>>Montréal area, Quebec, Canada...
>>
>>have paid to distribute small flyer to about 13,000 homes in well-to-do
>>area
>>in a weekly bag of adverts that most do go thru...
>>less than 10 calls...
>>ad looked a lot like website:
>>

>
> First of all advertising takes time and petition. You really have to
> bombard people with your ads over and over again. A potential
> customer sees your ad then down the line has a problem but you have
> stopped advertising or are doing it at too great an interval. What
> does he do? He goes to the yellow pages or online but cannot remember
> who you are so just picks someone else. Net result? Your advertising
> helped someone else get a customer..
>
>
> Secondly, most customers won't now the symptoms of a virus etc so you
> should put in you ads and on your web site the symptoms of the most
> common problems. Don't make them diagnose the problem. Say something
> like computer slowing down?, Files missing? etc.
> Thirdly you must give them a reason to choose you. Put something in
> the ad like "Why Pay $100 an hour to fix your PC? "Will fix your
> computer without losing files." for just a couple of ideas. It
> doesn't matter if you ultimately have to lose the files. At least you
> will try.
>
> Fourthly, Get a professional web site as soon as possible. The more
> professional you look the better the customer will react.
>
> Lastly, go to Amazon.com and buy:
>
> Guerrilla Marketing: Secrets for Making Big Profits from Your Small
> Business (Paperback)
> by Jay Conrad Levinson "Marketing is everything you do to promote your
> business, from the moment you conceive of it to the point at which
> customers buy your product..." (more)
>
> and all the other books by Levinson you can buy. He'll tell you how
> to advertise without breaking the bank.
> Thumper
>
>
>
>>http://www3.sympatico.ca/mikoel/
>>
>>any advice is appreciated...
>>even flames
>>
>>thanks,
>>mike.
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-11-2005
thanks.. personally i believe the PC may be around a bit longer


"Tmack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I've thought about starting my own PC repair business for a long time
> then finally decided the home PC was going to be obsolete within the
> next 5-7 yrs.
>
> Manufactures are moving towards an all-in-one entertainment unit that
> will replace the PC in the home. It'll have PC, Internet, Gaming,
> Stereo, TV, etc... Everything will be packaged in a single unit.
>
> I think unless you have the resources to learn how to repair those
> types of devices, your business may be doomed as consumers move away
> from the traditional PC.
>
> Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade but you asked for feedback.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
frequent388@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-11-2005

Jamco wrote:
> I would not think even consider doing business with you. Simply because
> your website looks like it was made by a 12 year old.
>
> My biggest advice would be to get a better website, and get it registered on
> a .ca or .com website, not on your personal webspace.
> Check out the competition for ideas.
> You need to add more pages, such as
> About us, Services/products, Price guide, contact us, free computer advice,
> etc....
> And perhaps instead of ever page in english and french, just make a welcome
> page that asks you to choose english or french, then redirects you to the
> approperiate site.
>
> Good luck.
> "mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:QB8Je.32298$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > been lurking here a couple years...
> >
> > i'm 50 & trying to start pc help/repair business...
> > Montréal area, Quebec, Canada...
> >
> > have paid to distribute small flyer to about 13,000 homes in well-to-do
> > area in a weekly bag of adverts that most do go thru...
> > less than 10 calls...
> > ad looked a lot like website:
> >
> > http://www3.sympatico.ca/mikoel/
> >
> > any advice is appreciated...
> > even flames
> >
> > thanks,
> > mike.
> >

You know you have a poor pist way about yourself.This person ask for
advice not to be criticize.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Business-to-Business Data Integration in a SOA World Stylus Studio XML 0 02-17-2006 05:07 PM
revisited: advice needed re: own business mike A+ Certification 3 08-17-2005 07:01 PM
Business Opportunity - Start Your Own VoIP Telephony Service Provider Business ubifone VOIP 0 07-29-2005 07:55 PM
Microsoft small business server 2003 - help needed to understand what is needed to use it Dima Computer Support 5 10-20-2004 08:27 PM
Needed: Advice on Film Scanning, Or Website Which Has This Advice Larry R Harrison Jr Digital Photography 0 09-06-2003 01:00 AM



Advertisments