Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Odd error message

Odd error message

dannobyte

A client has presented with a system that displays this error message
when
attempting to boot:

"Configuration Manager cannot load because one of the following files is

either not present or has an invalid version number:
vmm.vxd, shell.vxd, vtd.vxd, vxdldr.vxd, vpicd.vxd, vwin32.vxd

Try running setup again"

Pressing any key results in a complete shutdown.

Prior to this I had fitted a Dolphin 9200 USB card and found that
everything
worked fine. At first when the client took the system home it was O.K.
however the booting problem developed after he went online for a while.

From this I reasoned that it might be a virus etc, that's causing the
problem. Despite repeated googles I have been unable to resolve the
problem.

Your comments would be appreciated.

It has removed 7499 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Captain Lon

a vxd file is a driver.

try removing the USB card and see what happens.

--
Captain Lon

A good sailor does not need good luck or a boat!

"dannobyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A client has presented with a system that displays this error message
> when
> attempting to boot:
>
> "Configuration Manager cannot load because one of the following files is
>
> either not present or has an invalid version number:
> vmm.vxd, shell.vxd, vtd.vxd, vxdldr.vxd, vpicd.vxd, vwin32.vxd
>
> Try running setup again"
>
> Pressing any key results in a complete shutdown.
>
> Prior to this I had fitted a Dolphin 9200 USB card and found that
> everything
> worked fine. At first when the client took the system home it was O.K.
> however the booting problem developed after he went online for a while.
>
> From this I reasoned that it might be a virus etc, that's causing the
> problem. Despite repeated googles I have been unable to resolve the
> problem.
>
> Your comments would be appreciated.

> It has removed 7499 spam emails to date.
> Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

dannobyte

"dannobyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A client has presented with a system that displays this error message
> when
> attempting to boot:
>
> "Configuration Manager cannot load because one of the following files is
>
> either not present or has an invalid version number:
> vmm.vxd, shell.vxd, vtd.vxd, vxdldr.vxd, vpicd.vxd, vwin32.vxd
>
> Try running setup again"
>
> Pressing any key results in a complete shutdown.
>
> Prior to this I had fitted a Dolphin 9200 USB card and found that
> everything
> worked fine. At first when the client took the system home it was O.K.
> however the booting problem developed after he went online for a while.
>
> From this I reasoned that it might be a virus etc, that's causing the
> problem. Despite repeated googles I have been unable to resolve the
> problem.

I tried that but it made no difference. Is it possible to re-install 98
over
the top of itself like a repair install of XP?

It has removed 7524 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

rainman

Tom MacIntyre

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:29:02 GMT, "dannobyte" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"dannobyte" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> A client has presented with a system that displays this error message
>> when
>> attempting to boot:
>>
>> "Configuration Manager cannot load because one of the following files is
>>
>> either not present or has an invalid version number:
>> vmm.vxd, shell.vxd, vtd.vxd, vxdldr.vxd, vpicd.vxd, vwin32.vxd
>>
>> Try running setup again"
>>
>> Pressing any key results in a complete shutdown.
>>
>> Prior to this I had fitted a Dolphin 9200 USB card and found that
>> everything
>> worked fine. At first when the client took the system home it was O.K.
>> however the booting problem developed after he went online for a while.
>>
>> From this I reasoned that it might be a virus etc, that's causing the
>> problem. Despite repeated googles I have been unable to resolve the
>> problem.

>I tried that but it made no difference. Is it possible to re-install 98
>over
>the top of itself like a repair install of XP?

Yes...that is usually the way I would start to resolve a setup issue,
being a stubborn throwback to my early training, where data is sacred.

Tom

JohnO

> I tried that but it made no difference. Is it possible to re-install 98
> over
> the top of itself like a repair install of XP?

Try this first...use the startup menu to get to a DOS prompt, and run
scanreg.exe. Load one of the registry backups (should be five to choose
from) that was created before the installation of the USB card. If that lets
98 fire up, immediately load Adaware and Spybot, and a virus scanner, and
scan the hell out of the entire machine.

Does the user use any IM or Kazaa???? On 98 those are deathtraps...

-John O

Odd Ruby 1.9.1.rc2 error message mwlang88 Ruby 1 01-30-2009 05:57 AM
Odd error message... SpreadTooThin C++ 3 08-30-2007 04:26 PM
Odd behavior with odd code Michael Speer C Programming 33 02-18-2007 07:31 AM
ASP.NET 2 Odd Error Message =?Utf-8?B?amF2YXRvcGlh?= ASP .Net 1 07-26-2006 07:04 PM
Odd Error Message Glen Computer Support 6 12-24-2003 11:50 AM

Advertisments