Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > teaching a+

teaching a+

6ftplus

are there any teachers/trainers out there who believe they are "great
teachers". i teach a+ and am always looking for better ways to teach.
we use mike meyers books & dvd's but would love any new ideas on how to
present/interest & challenge my students.
any and all ideas welcome. thanks.

JohnO

> are there any teachers/trainers out there who believe they are "great
> teachers". i teach a+ and am always looking for better ways to teach.
> we use mike meyers books & dvd's but would love any new ideas on how to
> present/interest & challenge my students.
> any and all ideas welcome. thanks.

What type of school do you work for?

-John O

SmAfDiBoY

Try teaching in the nude......should be interesting

6ftplus

SmAfDiBoY wrote:
> Try teaching in the nude......should be interesting

i teach in a private training enterprise in new zealand.
nude teaching....aahhhh....i don't know....

JohnO

> i teach in a private training enterprise in new zealand.
> nude teaching....aahhhh....i don't know....

There aren't too many instructors I'd like to see nude...a well-proportioned
young blonde comes to mind...

Anyway...focus on hands-on. Have the students DO the stuff.

(I had other suggestions if you were in the US, and maybe with a public
school, but they don't apply to you.)

-John O

Captain Lon

Mix in some real world practical experience hands on kind of stuff.

Without the students seeing you, plug the floppy drive in up side down and
let them figure out why the green light is always on, stuff like that.

--
Captain Lon

A good sailor does not need good luck or a boat!

"6ftplus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> are there any teachers/trainers out there who believe they are "great
> teachers". i teach a+ and am always looking for better ways to teach.
> we use mike meyers books & dvd's but would love any new ideas on how to
> present/interest & challenge my students.
> any and all ideas welcome. thanks.

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 22:56:48 GMT, "Captain Lon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Mix in some real world practical experience hands on kind of stuff.
>
>Without the students seeing you, plug the floppy drive in up side down and
>let them figure out why the green light is always on, stuff like that.

Make a bootable floppy with an autoexec.bat file whose last line is
the null character, inserted using the Alt key and the appropriate
numeric keypad sequence. Using debug, create a .com file that boots
the computer (I forget exactly how that is done, but it's in an
assembler book I have, and if/when I find it I'll post it. The
filename will, of course, be the null character. See who is the first
to figure out what is happening.

Depending on fonts, sometimes there can be fun had with the confusion
between zero (0) and upper case O, also 1 and lower case L.

Tom

Captain Lon

Tom's suggestion reminds me: I have seen many problems with people writing
down product keys incorrectly, or at least sloppily.

| does not mean 'one'. 1 means 'one'. People can also get sloppy so that
you can't tell the difference between 2 and Z. How about U and V. Teach
them to write down numbers and letters correctly so they can be communicated
properly.

--
Captain Lon

A good sailor does not need good luck or a boat!

"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 22:56:48 GMT, "Captain Lon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Mix in some real world practical experience hands on kind of stuff.
>>
>>Without the students seeing you, plug the floppy drive in up side down and
>>let them figure out why the green light is always on, stuff like that.

> Make a bootable floppy with an autoexec.bat file whose last line is
> the null character, inserted using the Alt key and the appropriate
> numeric keypad sequence. Using debug, create a .com file that boots
> the computer (I forget exactly how that is done, but it's in an
> assembler book I have, and if/when I find it I'll post it. The
> filename will, of course, be the null character. See who is the first
> to figure out what is happening.
>
> Depending on fonts, sometimes there can be fun had with the confusion
> between zero (0) and upper case O, also 1 and lower case L.
>
> Tom

Tom MacIntyre

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:45:57 GMT, "Captain Lon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Tom's suggestion reminds me: I have seen many problems with people writing
>down product keys incorrectly, or at least sloppily.
>
>| does not mean 'one'. 1 means 'one'. People can also get sloppy so that
>you can't tell the difference between 2 and Z. How about U and V. Teach
>them to write down numbers and letters correctly so they can be communicated
>properly.

Right...6 and G can cause problems also.

Tom

Linker3000

SmAfDiBoY wrote:

> Try teaching in the nude......should be interesting

That practially elminates the risk of static discharge as I used to tell
my students!

I taught A+ for many years until about 2 years ago when I got a
permanent job and stopped freelancing for training companies in the UK.

I also wrote about three sets of A+ courseware for various organisations
and you're welcome to pick my brains.

L3K

IE 5 as a teaching tool Adrienne Boswell HTML 1 03-09-2006 01:37 AM
self teaching WAN ; driving me back out into the garden to plant peas; frustrated . Barrett Bonden Cisco 5 04-07-2005 04:09 AM
Self teaching, cannot lock database file Michael Powell ASP .Net 2 03-29-2005 03:34 PM
Teaching resources VisionSet Java 2 10-07-2004 07:22 AM
OT: Japanese Teaching/Translation Software Krhis Computer Support 1 09-06-2003 08:30 PM

Advertisments