Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > STOP: 0x0000007B After HW Upgrade

STOP: 0x0000007B After HW Upgrade

Tony Goldstone

Hi -

I've just upgraded the HW in one of my systems by installing a Gigabyte
GA-81945P motherboard with Pentium D 830 CPU, 1GB of Corsair RAM and
a PCI-Express Graphics card. Upon restart, as expected, Windows XP requires
a re-installation. However, after receiving the message 'Windows is now
starting'
I am presented witht the delightful STOP: 0x0000007B error with the
parameters
0xf7c79524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

Virus-scanned the system disks and no apparent infections. I've carried out
a number
of HW upgrades on Windows XP systems in the past and have generally not run
into
problems - just re-installed XP, updated the drivers and all has been OK.

Any suggestions as to why I am experiencing this issue with my new Mobo?
My current thoughts are that, although the onboard RAID is disabled in the
BIOS, this is
somehow causing some problems for XP.

Thanks
Tony

Kenneth Burger

Easily... XP can address up to I think it's 4GB of RAM and 2 processors. My
brother's XP system has 2 GB of DDR-2 RAM in it and runs fine. If onboard
RAID is correctly disabled in BIOS then that's not the problem. With
inaccessible boot device errors the problem could be that the IDE controller
you're using is not supported natively in XP, but you should have had to
install a driver from floppy when you did the initial setup if that were the
case. If so, maybe the driver version you're using has a bug in it, or
maybe it's a hard drive that's going bad and only now is showing itself.
You could try doing a reinstall making sure you hit F6 to install a third
party driver and downloading the newest version of the driver from the
manufacturer first, putting it on a floppy, and using that driver. Failing
that, you might want to try running some manufacturer diags on the hard
drive.

"smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FYhwe.543$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> Can XP deal with 1 GB of RAM?
>
> Just guessing...
>
> smackedass

rainman

Kenneth Burger

I was under the impression that a reformat is what he meant by a reinstall,
as I've never known an over-the-top repair to work with a completely
different IDE controller. Normally if the system won't boot into normal
mode because of an inaccessible boot device error, it won't boot into safe
mode either, but I suppose it's worth a shot if he wants to give it a try.

"rainman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Adam Leinss

"Tony Goldstone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:d9s78u$fk3$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com:

> Any suggestions as to why I am experiencing this issue with my new
> Mobo? My current thoughts are that, although the onboard RAID is
> disabled in the BIOS, this is
> somehow causing some problems for XP.

A 0x7B stop error is usually related to Windows not being able to find
a mass storage device driver for the IDE controller. Before switching
the motherboard you could have downloaded the drivers for the new IDE
controller, chipset, etc and define their location using
OEMPnpDriversPath in the sysprep.inf file. Then do a "sysprep -pnp -
mini -reseal". This would locate the correct driver specified by
[SysprepMassStorage] to use during the mini-setup.

Unfortunately, there's really no simple way of explaining it and I've
greatly oversimplified what you would need to do. Bottom line: you are
probably better off reinstalling on different hardware any ways.

Adam

Cisco 837 upgrade IOS upgrade gone wrong cisconewbie Hardware 5 10-05-2008 06:29 PM
Stop : 0x0000007b nkris Software 0 10-18-2006 01:29 PM
Win XP: STOP: 0x0000007B (..., 0xC0000034, ...), Dell 4700 tomg@fullnet.com Computer Support 7 08-25-2006 08:59 PM
0x0000007b on SATA HD from Installation CD only =?Utf-8?B?VHJhZGVyd2lsbA==?= Windows 64bit 3 01-12-2006 11:18 AM
Blue Screen INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. STOP: 0x0000007B Digs Computer Support 4 07-21-2004 06:27 PM

Advertisments