Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Ping Tom Mac

Ping Tom Mac

MF

Tom,

Long time no chat. Rock and Roll forever.

I have a tv problem, searched for an hour on google and more on the
electroncs repair ng, but couldn't find an answer to what has to be a very
common problem.

It's a JVC 27 inch AV-27230 i think. About 3 and a half years old (not long
out of warranty, of course). Got a great price on it, had a great picture.
3 or 4 months ago, a couple of white lines started appearing on the top edge
of the screen when it started up. One of them would always consist of
dashes and dots (short dashes) like a representation of morse code. As it
warmed up, the lines would disappear (crawl up behind the masking).

Now, however, when it starts up, the lines cover 20-25 percent of the top of
the screen. One of them, or sometimes a few, are still dotted and dashed,
the rest solid. As it warms up, they recede but now remain over 5-10
percent of the screen.

Obviously, this will have to be dealt with. I am shocked and appalled, not
to mention decimated.

Any idea as to cause and remedy? It's funny, when I bought it I thought
back to what I felt about JVC equipment when I was doing videos: pretty
high quality, fairly good prices, somewhat low durability. But that sense
of things JVC was about 12 years old, and the TV's price and high quality
picture made me think "that must have changed by now." Heh heh.

Thanks,

Mike Flinn

Tom MacIntyre

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:59:31 -0400, "MF"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tom,
>
>Long time no chat. Rock and Roll forever.
>
>I have a tv problem, searched for an hour on google and more on the
>electroncs repair ng, but couldn't find an answer to what has to be a very
>common problem.
>
>It's a JVC 27 inch AV-27230 i think. About 3 and a half years old (not long
>out of warranty, of course). Got a great price on it, had a great picture.
>3 or 4 months ago, a couple of white lines started appearing on the top edge
>of the screen when it started up. One of them would always consist of
>dashes and dots (short dashes) like a representation of morse code. As it
>warmed up, the lines would disappear (crawl up behind the masking).
>
>Now, however, when it starts up, the lines cover 20-25 percent of the top of
>the screen. One of them, or sometimes a few, are still dotted and dashed,
>the rest solid. As it warms up, they recede but now remain over 5-10
>percent of the screen.

The most common repair/fault among almost all TV brands
(RCA/GE/Thomson being one notable exception).

The filter capacitor on the 25-28 VDC supply to the vertical IC is
failing. As it gets warmer, its value increases, resulting in the
improvement you describe. Hopefully the lines at the top of the
picture haven't been there long enough to burn into the CRT phosphors.
Eventually the vertical deflection IC will fail in this situation,
resulting in a single white line across the middle of the screen, and
sometimes a low-value series resistor will open if the current draw is
enough.. It's no reflection on the quality of the set; it's the most
common repair I saw in my time as a TV repair tech.

How are your capabilities on component-level repair, soldering,
desoldering? It shouldn't be expensive anyway, based on what you've
told me. It wouldn't hurt to have a look at the pertinent sections
here first, if you are unfamiliar with the insides of a TV...

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/

It's likely a 100uF, 35 or 50 VDC electrolytic capacitor, probably
close to the vertical IC (which, coincidentally, is usually in
vertical position also, attached to a metal heatsink). The vertical
IC's part code likely starts with AN or LA. It'll have anywhere from 8
to 15 or so pins. The capacitor is about the size of 25-30% of a
cigar, perhaps a bit thinner. If you go ahead with this, use a 105 C
temperature-rated capacitor if at all possible. If you feel
uncomfortable at all, take it to a shop instead. The biggest problems
when an inexperienced person goes inside a TV are accidental shock and
accidentally snapping the neck off the CRT (rendering the TV to
boat-anchor status), often as a result of the before-mentioned
accidental shock, or even from something as simple as dropping the
back of the set during its removal.

Good luck with this, and please let me know how you fare with it.
Thanks.

Tom

>Obviously, this will have to be dealt with. I am shocked and appalled, not
>to mention decimated.
>
>Any idea as to cause and remedy? It's funny, when I bought it I thought
>back to what I felt about JVC equipment when I was doing videos: pretty
>high quality, fairly good prices, somewhat low durability. But that sense
>of things JVC was about 12 years old, and the TV's price and high quality
>picture made me think "that must have changed by now." Heh heh.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike Flinn

MF

Tom, thanks.

So it's not just putting a card in a slot, eh? My soldering/de-soldering
skills are about on a par with my moon walking skills, so it sounds like
this calls for a visit to the yellow pages. I hope there's a cheap,
reliable repair guy in my neighborhood. I will see if I can find a
diagram of the set's insides on the net, but doubt there's one available.
JVC doesn't even carry the owners manual for that model on their website.

Thanks again,

Mike

"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> accidentally snapping the neck off the CRT (rendering the TV to
> boat-anchor status), often as a result of the before-mentioned
> accidental shock, or even from something as simple as dropping the
> back of the set during its removal.
>
> Good luck with this, and please let me know how you fare with it.
> Thanks.
>
> Tom
>

>>Obviously, this will have to be dealt with. I am shocked and appalled,
>>not
>>to mention decimated.
>>
>>Any idea as to cause and remedy? It's funny, when I bought it I thought
>>back to what I felt about JVC equipment when I was doing videos: pretty
>>high quality, fairly good prices, somewhat low durability. But that sense
>>of things JVC was about 12 years old, and the TV's price and high quality
>>picture made me think "that must have changed by now." Heh heh.

Tom MacIntyre

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:33:09 -0400, "MF"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tom, thanks.
>
>So it's not just putting a card in a slot, eh? My soldering/de-soldering
>skills are about on a par with my moon walking skills, so it sounds like
>this calls for a visit to the yellow pages. I hope there's a cheap,
>reliable repair guy in my neighborhood. I will see if I can find a
>diagram of the set's insides on the net, but doubt there's one available.
>JVC doesn't even carry the owners manual for that model on their website.
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Mike

No, that stuff is still mainly all component-level repair. I can't
give you a $$ figure, but, at its present description, this should be
"relatively" inexpensive. Do you have any friends who are familiar
with the innards of a TV?...this sounds like a very generic repair.
Sometimes we get fooled, though...good luck.

Tom