Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Got a 10Gb Laptop USB Drive

Got a 10Gb Laptop USB Drive

D. Brown

My father-in-law gave me a portable 10Gb USB 2.0 drive that is slightly
larger than a pack of cigarettes and self powered from the USB port. I am
looking to use this in the field by putting utilities and what not on it.
Any suggestions? I'm already thinking about the usual spyware removal tools.

Actually I was also thinking of making it bootable, hopefully getting BartPE
to run from the drive instead of a CD. I just haven't researched this yet.

I am open to and appreciative of any suggestions or advice.

AG

"D. Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My father-in-law gave me a portable 10Gb USB 2.0 drive that is slightly
> larger than a pack of cigarettes and self powered from the USB port. I am
> looking to use this in the field by putting utilities and what not on it.
> Any suggestions? I'm already thinking about the usual spyware removal
> tools.
>
> Actually I was also thinking of making it bootable, hopefully getting
> BartPE to run from the drive instead of a CD. I just haven't researched
> this yet.
>
> I am open to and appreciative of any suggestions or advice.

The Bart's PE can be done if you want. I've never tried it but there are
instructions on the net. I put all of my stuff on thumb drives and I just
got a little USB thing that I can put a laptop HD in from a friend who I did
some work for. I'm going to put a 4 Gig HD in it this evening if it's still
good. I haven't used the drive for months so it might not be.
I keep some things like Hijack this, Portable Firefox, Spybot, full install
of Firefox, MS Anti Spyware, CWshredder, Aida 32, Task kill and Winsock fix
my 256 meg thumb drive plus bout 30 more free download type utilities and
programs and it's only about half full.

AG

Jack

"AG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9BJse.1997$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "D. Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My father-in-law gave me a portable 10Gb USB 2.0 drive that is slightly
>> larger than a pack of cigarettes and self powered from the USB port. I am
>> looking to use this in the field by putting utilities and what not on it.
>> Any suggestions? I'm already thinking about the usual spyware removal
>> tools.
>>
>> Actually I was also thinking of making it bootable, hopefully getting
>> BartPE to run from the drive instead of a CD. I just haven't researched
>> this yet.
>>
>> I am open to and appreciative of any suggestions or advice.

> The Bart's PE can be done if you want. I've never tried it but there are
> instructions on the net. I put all of my stuff on thumb drives and I just
> got a little USB thing that I can put a laptop HD in from a friend who I
> did some work for. I'm going to put a 4 Gig HD in it this evening if it's
> still good. I haven't used the drive for months so it might not be.
> I keep some things like Hijack this, Portable Firefox, Spybot, full
> install of Firefox, MS Anti Spyware, CWshredder, Aida 32, Task kill and
> Winsock fix my 256 meg thumb drive plus bout 30 more free download type
> utilities and programs and it's only about half full.
>
> AG

Those are great utilities to keep on hand AG. Another thing I keep on my
thumb drive is a .txt file with links to some of my favorite tech info
sites. Sometimes you just have to research out that odd error message.