Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Multiboot question 98/XP

Multiboot question 98/XP

Captain Lon

Hey everyone.

Let me explain. I worked on a Windows 98SE machine, and the customer
wondered what XP would do with some of her software. So, in my brilliance,
I temporarily put in another hard drive as a slave, installed Windows XP on
it, and one of her programs and let her take a look. Long story short, took
out slave hard drive (D, and she is now back to using the original 98SE
(on C.

My problem stems from the fact that when booted, the boot.ini file is giving
us a choice of booting to XP or 98, with XP being the default OS. I no
longer need this choice as XP and the hard drive it was installed on has
been removed. How do I get rid of this??? Or at least how do I make 98 the
default OS???

Before you all think I am a moron, I have created many dual boot systems,
but always with XP/XP. Never 98/XP before. I have had success changing the
boot.ini file before in XP. But it looks different in 98. So it is my
understanding that when I installed XP it created this boot.ini file, and
put it in Windows 98. So how do I get back to the way it was before? Or at
least make 98 the default OS?

Here is what the boot.ini file now says:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows xp"
/noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--
Captain Lon

I'm smart! I'm not dumb like they say!

rainman

Captain Lon wrote:
> Hey everyone.
>
> Let me explain. I worked on a Windows 98SE machine, and the customer
> wondered what XP would do with some of her software. So, in my brilliance,
> I temporarily put in another hard drive as a slave, installed Windows XP on
> it, and one of her programs and let her take a look. Long story short, took
> out slave hard drive (D, and she is now back to using the original 98SE
> (on C.
>
> My problem stems from the fact that when booted, the boot.ini file is giving
> us a choice of booting to XP or 98, with XP being the default OS. I no
> longer need this choice as XP and the hard drive it was installed on has
> been removed. How do I get rid of this??? Or at least how do I make 98 the
> default OS???
>
> Before you all think I am a moron, I have created many dual boot systems,
> but always with XP/XP. Never 98/XP before. I have had success changing the
> boot.ini file before in XP. But it looks different in 98. So it is my
> understanding that when I installed XP it created this boot.ini file, and
> put it in Windows 98. So how do I get back to the way it was before? Or at
> least make 98 the default OS?
>
> Here is what the boot.ini file now says:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> [boot loader]
> timeout=3
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows xp"
> /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
> C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) Make a bootable floppy in 98 (just in case) (with the SYS command on it)
2) Delete boot.ini
3) Reboot without the floppy

4) If you have any problems, boot off the floppy and type SYS C: to
repair the 98 boot files.

Rainman

AG

Sys C: will leave you booting to DOS. I think that MSDOS.SYS is the file
you'll have to either edit or just copy from another 98 machine.

AG

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think that if you change rdisk(1) to rdisk(0) in the "default" line, it
>will boot 98. However, you can probably do a "Sys C:" after booting from a
>floppy with the SYS program on it, and it will remove dual boot entirely.
>Be sure to backup all of the C: root directory boot files before doing
>this, I think that SYS C: may initially leave you in a command mode only
>configuration, and you have to restore one of the configuration files
>(MSDOS.SYS ?) to restore normal GUI booting.
>

> Captain Lon wrote:
>
>> Hey everyone.
>>
>> Let me explain. I worked on a Windows 98SE machine, and the customer
>> wondered what XP would do with some of her software. So, in my
>> brilliance, I temporarily put in another hard drive as a slave, installed
>> Windows XP on it, and one of her programs and let her take a look. Long
>> story short, took out slave hard drive (D, and she is now back to using
>> the original 98SE (on C.
>>
>> My problem stems from the fact that when booted, the boot.ini file is
>> giving us a choice of booting to XP or 98, with XP being the default OS.
>> I no longer need this choice as XP and the hard drive it was installed on
>> has been removed. How do I get rid of this??? Or at least how do I make
>> 98 the default OS???
>>
>> Before you all think I am a moron, I have created many dual boot systems,
>> but always with XP/XP. Never 98/XP before. I have had success changing
>> the boot.ini file before in XP. But it looks different in 98. So it is
>> my understanding that when I installed XP it created this boot.ini file,
>> and put it in Windows 98. So how do I get back to the way it was before?
>> Or at least make 98 the default OS?
>>
>> Here is what the boot.ini file now says:
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> [boot loader]
>> timeout=3
>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
>> [operating systems]
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows xp"
>> /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>> C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

goorken

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:07:05 GMT, "Captain Lon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hey everyone.
>
>Let me explain. I worked on a Windows 98SE machine, and the customer
>wondered what XP would do with some of her software. So, in my brilliance,
>I temporarily put in another hard drive as a slave, installed Windows XP on
>it, and one of her programs and let her take a look. Long story short, took
>out slave hard drive (D, and she is now back to using the original 98SE
>(on C.
>
>My problem stems from the fact that when booted, the boot.ini file is giving
>us a choice of booting to XP or 98, with XP being the default OS. I no
>longer need this choice as XP and the hard drive it was installed on has
>been removed. How do I get rid of this??? Or at least how do I make 98 the
>default OS???
>
>Before you all think I am a moron, I have created many dual boot systems,
>but always with XP/XP. Never 98/XP before. I have had success changing the
>boot.ini file before in XP. But it looks different in 98. So it is my
>understanding that when I installed XP it created this boot.ini file, and
>put it in Windows 98. So how do I get back to the way it was before? Or at
>least make 98 the default OS?
>
>Here is what the boot.ini file now says:
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>[boot loader]
>timeout=3
>default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDO WS
>[operating systems]
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\

>C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"

make the boot.ini look like this^^^^^^^

Captain Lon

Thanks for your responses. Here is what I did:

Boot with a Win98 boot disk.

From the A:\> prompt, type SYS C: and press enter.

Remove the boot disk and re-start the system.

It works perfectly! Thanks.