Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Don't Windows update Crystal sound drivers

Don't Windows update Crystal sound drivers

AG

OS Windows XP Pro.
I have a Hercules XP sound card on my personal PC. I like it because it has
some capabilities like I can plug a guitar into it and record without lots
of patch cables and such.
This morning I ran Windows Update just for the heck of it. There was an
update for Crystal sound drivers. I knew that the drivers I was using were
unsigned as far as XP was concerned so I figured MS had finally gotten
around to updating the driver.
Nope. It totally stopped my sound driver. XP thought that everything was
fine but I got no sounds.
Reinstalling did nothing. Windows liked the newer driver too much. I
finally used System restore to the day before.

AG

rainman

AG

"Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GXDqe.2495$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Echo Rainman's thoughts, by the time the drivers are tested and
> certified there are often newer driver's available; an exception to this
> would be end of cycle hardware.
>
> Should a similar driver issue raise it's ugly head again, try the driver
> rollback first.

The driver for this card is about three years old. I just figured they
would have something new. I guess I learned not.

AG