Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > color problem:pioneer dvr 109

color problem:pioneer dvr 109

leno bob

Hows it going everybody .
I recently went to the computer fair , and snagged a good dvd/cd burner and
was so hyped after i installed . I was quickly bummed out upon inserting a
dvd , only to find that the dvd played back with the colors reversed somehow
.. like the greens are where the blues should be. I updated the firmware ,
disabled some of the gamma overlays and crap on teh video card but to no
avail .
I was wondering if anybody out there has succesfully dealt with this?
p.s. my computer wouldnt play the dvd out the box . I first downloaded some
free dvd software from the net so i could actually play the dvd . hope this
might help

thanks

rainman

leno bob

here is the info
i have a machine w/ windows xp sp2 . I first used media player , then real
player then used a program called intervideo ( the free trail verison) and
they all played teh same . i did update the media player to play the dvd .
wich is the first thing i did after installing the unit . the cd playback
works fine . when that didnt work i went to google and found some free
software out there on the net .the dvd i tried to watch was a commercial dvd
i bought . i actually tried watching 3 different dvds 2 regular 1 burned and
they were played the same way
the video card is a pro savage ddr wich came included onboard with the
machine ( its a via technologies motherboard) the dvd playback was the same
withh all programs used ..the video card has 32 mb ram for the video card
and i have about 736 mb of ram memory
yeah i know its not the unit but something w/ the software
hmmm......
thanks for the advice

"rainman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

leno bob

oh i forgot to mention that i have a dual boot , bothe xp and the dvd
playback was the exact same on both o/s !

"leno bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> here is the info
> i have a machine w/ windows xp sp2 . I first used media player , then real
> player then used a program called intervideo ( the free trail verison)

and
> they all played teh same . i did update the media player to play the dvd .
> wich is the first thing i did after installing the unit . the cd playback
> works fine . when that didnt work i went to google and found some free
> software out there on the net .the dvd i tried to watch was a commercial

dvd
> i bought . i actually tried watching 3 different dvds 2 regular 1 burned

and
> they were played the same way
> the video card is a pro savage ddr wich came included onboard with the
> machine ( its a via technologies motherboard) the dvd playback was the

same
> withh all programs used ..the video card has 32 mb ram for the video card
> and i have about 736 mb of ram memory
> yeah i know its not the unit but something w/ the software
> hmmm......
> thanks for the advice
>
> "rainman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

rainman

leno bob wrote:
> here is the info
> i have a machine w/ windows xp sp2 . I first used media player , then real
> player then used a program called intervideo ( the free trail verison) and
> they all played teh same . i did update the media player to play the dvd .
> wich is the first thing i did after installing the unit . the cd playback
> works fine . when that didnt work i went to google and found some free
> software out there on the net .the dvd i tried to watch was a commercial dvd
> i bought . i actually tried watching 3 different dvds 2 regular 1 burned and
> they were played the same way
> the video card is a pro savage ddr wich came included onboard with the
> machine ( its a via technologies motherboard) the dvd playback was the same
> withh all programs used ..the video card has 32 mb ram for the video card
> and i have about 736 mb of ram memory
> yeah i know its not the unit but something w/ the software
> hmmm......
> thanks for the advice

You might have bad decoders. Is your DVD drive a hardware decoder, and
if not, try re-installing any software that came with the DVD drive.
Also, try looking at the manufacturer's site of your DVD drive for
similar issues.

Rainman

> "rainman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Barry Watzman wrote:
>
>>The burner only writes files to the DVD and reads them back. Your
>>problem is with the program creating or playing the files, not the DVD
>>burner. And you are going to have to supply a lot more information
>>before anyone else is able to help you.

> By more information, he means: OS type/version, was the DVD a burned DVD
> or a commercial DVD, what software did you use for playback? That's just
> to start...
>
> Rainman
>

>>leno bob wrote:

>>>Hows it going everybody .
>>>I recently went to the computer fair , and snagged a good dvd/cd
>>>burner and
>>>was so hyped after i installed . I was quickly bummed out upon
>>>inserting a
>>>dvd , only to find that the dvd played back with the colors reversed
>>>somehow
>>>. like the greens are where the blues should be. I updated the firmware

>> ,

>>>disabled some of the gamma overlays and crap on teh video card but to

>> no

>>>avail .
>>>I was wondering if anybody out there has succesfully dealt with this?
>>>p.s. my computer wouldnt play the dvd out the box . I first downloaded
>>>some
>>>free dvd software from the net so i could actually play the dvd . hope
>>>this
>>>might help

>>>thanks

rainman

Barry Watzman wrote:
> No one is using hardware decoding any more, and even when it was used,
> it was never in the DVD drive, it was a separate PCI card or, very
> rarely, it was a chip on the video card.

I've seen them on some very expensive DVD drives, but it required
additional drivers.

Rainman

> rainman wrote:

> You might have bad decoders. Is your DVD drive a hardware decoder, and
> if not, try re-installing any software that came with the DVD drive.
> Also, try looking at the manufacturer's site of your DVD drive for
> similar issues.
>
> Rainman

leno bob

i have downloaded a utility to see all the codecs that were installed on the
machine and i am afraid that i have a few nasty ones installed . i went
download happy trying to get this thing to work . what I am going to do is
install windows media center on this partition and see what happens !!
thanks for the advice

"rainman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Barry Watzman wrote:
> > No one is using hardware decoding any more, and even when it was used,
> > it was never in the DVD drive, it was a separate PCI card or, very
> > rarely, it was a chip on the video card.

> I've seen them on some very expensive DVD drives, but it required
> additional drivers.
>
> Rainman
>
> > rainman wrote:

free

the

> > You might have bad decoders. Is your DVD drive a hardware decoder, and
> > if not, try re-installing any software that came with the DVD drive.
> > Also, try looking at the manufacturer's site of your DVD drive for
> > similar issues.
> >
> > Rainman

DVD

DVD

just

reversed

this?

downloaded

hope

leno bob

I think you are right . so i just got a copy of power dvd , installed , and
thats all she wrote! The playback does develop a slight chop , but for a
little bit . It is definitly tolerable , and only for the first few minutes
of play . But all in all I am finally able to enjoy my new piece of hardware
it was all about getting the right software on there because the dvd isnt
going to play right out the box, unless it came from a computer you bought
at best buy or something
thanks a mil

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows Media Center does not come with an MPEG2 codec, you have to
> supply your own. Also, you should understand, MCE (media center
> edition) is a whole different OS, although based on XP Pro. You could
> be opening a rather large can of worms. MCE is a wonderful system for
> what it is, but "what it is" is an OS designed primarily for a media
> center in a living room. MCE has very narrow, and very specific
> hardware requirements, including a tuner card (from a very, very narrow
> list of approved tuner cards), and a microsoft remote control. And you
> have to supply some software components yourself (including the MPEG2
> decoder).
>
> I'd fix the problem with DVD playback first, and worry about MCE later,
> if at all.
>

> leno bob wrote:
>
> > i have downloaded a utility to see all the codecs that were installed on

the
> > machine and i am afraid that i have a few nasty ones installed . i went
> > download happy trying to get this thing to work . what I am going to do

is
> > install windows media center on this partition and see what happens !!
> > thanks for the advice
> >
> > "rainman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >>I've seen them on some very expensive DVD drives, but it required
> >>additional drivers.
> >>
> >>Rainman

then

> > free

> > the

> > DVD

> > DVD

> > just

> > reversed

> > this?

> > downloaded

> > hope

rainman

You might be able to get rid of that "chop" by enabling "Hardware
Acceleration" in the Tools menu of PowerDVD...

FYI: I always use PowerDVD... I love it.

Rainman

leno bob wrote:
> I think you are right . so i just got a copy of power dvd , installed , and
> thats all she wrote! The playback does develop a slight chop , but for a
> little bit . It is definitly tolerable , and only for the first few minutes
> of play . But all in all I am finally able to enjoy my new piece of hardware
> it was all about getting the right software on there because the dvd isnt
> going to play right out the box, unless it came from a computer you bought
> at best buy or something
> thanks a mil
>

> "Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Windows Media Center does not come with an MPEG2 codec, you have to
>>supply your own. Also, you should understand, MCE (media center
>>edition) is a whole different OS, although based on XP Pro. You could
>>be opening a rather large can of worms. MCE is a wonderful system for
>>what it is, but "what it is" is an OS designed primarily for a media
>>center in a living room. MCE has very narrow, and very specific
>>hardware requirements, including a tuner card (from a very, very narrow
>>list of approved tuner cards), and a microsoft remote control. And you
>>have to supply some software components yourself (including the MPEG2
>>decoder).
>>
>>I'd fix the problem with DVD playback first, and worry about MCE later,
>>if at all.
>>

>>leno bob wrote:
>>

>>>i have downloaded a utility to see all the codecs that were installed on

> the
>
>>>machine and i am afraid that i have a few nasty ones installed . i went
>>>download happy trying to get this thing to work . what I am going to do

> is
>
>>>install windows media center on this partition and see what happens !!
>>>thanks for the advice
>>>
>>>"rainman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

> Barry Watzman wrote:
>

>>No one is using hardware decoding any more, and even when it was used,
>>it was never in the DVD drive, it was a separate PCI card or, very
>>rarely, it was a chip on the video card.

> I've seen them on some very expensive DVD drives, but it required
> additional drivers.
>
> Rainman
>

>>rainman wrote:

>> then

>>You might have bad decoders. Is your DVD drive a hardware decoder, and
>>if not, try re-installing any software that came with the DVD drive.
>>Also, try looking at the manufacturer's site of your DVD drive for
>>similar issues.

>>Rainman

leno bob

you know i enabled the hardware acceleration and sometimes there will be
slight stutter in playback
but that all went away when eabled hardware acceleration thru display
properties ...