Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Internet Security - A real test

Internet Security - A real test

My friend's new Dell PC came with Norton I.S 2005 pre-installed and with a
disk with Product ID printed on the sleeve.

Norton was Activated using the PID and Norton returned a successful message
which was printed out but showed a different PID!!!

At the next boot there was a message that said Norton could not be repaired
and should be uninstalled and re-installed.

We "uninstalled" through Add/Remove Programs. We re-installed and went to
Live Updates which eventually failed with a LU1806 code which said that if
uninstall using Add/Remove did not work then download SymNrt.exe from Norton
and run it to fully remove the product then re-install again.

This we did and re-installed Norton again and again Live Update failed.

I can't be bothered to report this to Symantec and we chose another
solution.

As we were on broadband at 2.3mbps (1MB in about 7 secs) and all this
(uninstalling/re-installing) /updating took less than 2 hours.

Anyone had a LU1806 ???

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 20:04:33 +0000 (UTC), "A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My friend's new Dell PC came with Norton I.S 2005 pre-installed and with a
>disk with Product ID printed on the sleeve.
>
>Norton was Activated using the PID and Norton returned a successful message
>which was printed out but showed a different PID!!!
>
>At the next boot there was a message that said Norton could not be repaired
>and should be uninstalled and re-installed.
>
>We "uninstalled" through Add/Remove Programs. We re-installed and went to
>Live Updates which eventually failed with a LU1806 code which said that if
>uninstall using Add/Remove did not work then download SymNrt.exe from Norton
>and run it to fully remove the product then re-install again.
>
>This we did and re-installed Norton again and again Live Update failed.
>
>I can't be bothered to report this to Symantec and we chose another
>solution.
>
>As we were on broadband at 2.3mbps (1MB in about 7 secs) and all this
>(uninstalling/re-installing) /updating took less than 2 hours.
>
>Anyone had a LU1806 ???

Google is your friend.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=lu1806&meta=

Tom

me

I too am sympathetic to your dilemma--I absolutely WILL NOT use nortons. It
is simply too much of a pain--and there are MUCH better products on the
market.

Loopback

Why not call the support line or go to Symantec's web site....

They are both excellent.

"A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d7qd4h$54g$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> My friend's new Dell PC came with Norton I.S 2005 pre-installed and with a
> disk with Product ID printed on the sleeve.
>
> Norton was Activated using the PID and Norton returned a successful
> message which was printed out but showed a different PID!!!
>
> At the next boot there was a message that said Norton could not be
> repaired and should be uninstalled and re-installed.
>
> We "uninstalled" through Add/Remove Programs. We re-installed and went to
> Live Updates which eventually failed with a LU1806 code which said that if
> uninstall using Add/Remove did not work then download SymNrt.exe from
> Norton and run it to fully remove the product then re-install again.
>
> This we did and re-installed Norton again and again Live Update failed.
>
> I can't be bothered to report this to Symantec and we chose another
> solution.
>
> As we were on broadband at 2.3mbps (1MB in about 7 secs) and all this
> (uninstalling/re-installing) /updating took less than 2 hours.
>
> Anyone had a LU1806 ???

rainman

Loopback wrote:
> Why not call the support line or go to Symantec's web site....
>
> They are both excellent.
>

> "A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d7qd4h$54g$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>
>>My friend's new Dell PC came with Norton I.S 2005 pre-installed and with a
>>disk with Product ID printed on the sleeve.
>>
>>Norton was Activated using the PID and Norton returned a successful
>>message which was printed out but showed a different PID!!!
>>
>>At the next boot there was a message that said Norton could not be
>>repaired and should be uninstalled and re-installed.
>>
>>We "uninstalled" through Add/Remove Programs. We re-installed and went to
>>Live Updates which eventually failed with a LU1806 code which said that if
>>uninstall using Add/Remove did not work then download SymNrt.exe from
>>Norton and run it to fully remove the product then re-install again.
>>
>>This we did and re-installed Norton again and again Live Update failed.
>>
>>I can't be bothered to report this to Symantec and we chose another
>>solution.
>>
>>As we were on broadband at 2.3mbps (1MB in about 7 secs) and all this
>>(uninstalling/re-installing) /updating took less than 2 hours.
>>
>>Anyone had a LU1806 ???

I only use Symantec AV corporate edition, as DoD employees get free
copies with unlimited LiveUpdate (get free McAfee too) through a
contract for personal use (letting you know, in case you know any
military members you can get a copy from), but I've had some experience
with the I.S. software. When you removed it, did you also uninstall
LiveUpdate, and LiveReg? Many times they show up separately.

I also have had problems with pre-installed Norton/Symantec problems. My
problem is: none of them have ever worked... I ALWAYS have to
uninstall/reinstall.

Also, ZoneLabs (www.zonelabs.com) has a good free firewall that I prefer
over Norton's called ZoneAlarm (Pro version is not free). It works great
with Symantec Corp. Ed. if you end up going that route.

Rainman