Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > xp sp2

xp sp2

AOL have a download patch to fix their XP SP2 problems where their customers
have broadband connection problems. However these customers cannot download
the patch because they cannot connect any longer to AOL broadband. Seems
like catch 22.

See following URL ...

www.aol.co.uk/about/help/faqs/windows_sp2.html

Anyone know their way round this problem.

Alan

Pat

A wrote:
> AOL have a download patch to fix their XP SP2 problems where their customers
> have broadband connection problems. However these customers cannot download
> the patch because they cannot connect any longer to AOL broadband. Seems
> like catch 22.
>
> See following URL ...
>
> www.aol.co.uk/about/help/faqs/windows_sp2.html
>
> Anyone know their way round this problem.
>
> Alan

How does AOL work in the UK? In the US, I believe for "AOL Broadband"
you subscribe to some Cable/DSL provider, and then AOL charges you a
monthly fee to use their service. If that's the case, the user should
still have some connectivity to the internet outside of AOL.

I don't know, maybe they've changed it to where AOL has their own
broadband service in the states. Although, I'm sure it's expensive as
hell and a waste of money.

AG

"A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d7lb9a$27f$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> AOL have a download patch to fix their XP SP2 problems where their
> customers have broadband connection problems. However these customers
> cannot download the patch because they cannot connect any longer to AOL
> broadband. Seems like catch 22.
>
> See following URL ...
>
> www.aol.co.uk/about/help/faqs/windows_sp2.html
>
> Anyone know their way round this problem.
>
> Alan

Most people should still be able to dial up. Personally I'd download it
myself and put it on either a CD or thumb drive so I'd have it just in case.

AG

The Outcome: AOL asked all the usual questions again for the fourth time in
two weeks. No British Telecom test had been done as promised. Client
cancelled AOL at a cost of 170 wasted contract. Have temp. installed
Tiscali dialup. DSL line release takes 10 to 14 days, then client can order
from a decent BB supplier.

"A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d7lb9a$27f$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> AOL have a download patch to fix their XP SP2 problems where their
> customers have broadband connection problems. However these customers
> cannot download the patch because they cannot connect any longer to AOL
> broadband. Seems like catch 22.
>
> See following URL ...
>
> www.aol.co.uk/about/help/faqs/windows_sp2.html
>
> Anyone know their way round this problem.
>
> Alan

AG

"A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d7q5qe$pko$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> The Outcome: AOL asked all the usual questions again for the fourth time
> in two weeks. No British Telecom test had been done as promised. Client
> cancelled AOL at a cost of 170 wasted contract. Have temp. installed
> Tiscali dialup. DSL line release takes 10 to 14 days, then client can
> order from a decent BB supplier.

If the customer used a credit card to pay AOL they should be able to dispute
the charges.

AG

Client gave bank account details for direct debit. He is 78, and was a
Captain in the British army. He now has to decide whether to order another
broadband once AOL "release" his line. His neighbour said he should fight in
the courts. I don't know where in the UK AOL contracts are deemed to have
been made. If it's Glasgow then that's where he would have to go! Thanks for
the idea. Yesterday I did a Tiscali BB set up and it registered 2.3 mbps,
the fastest yet. So I must pester BT again about my measlet half mb BB.
Cheers A.

news:sr6oe.5552$(E-Mail Removed) m...