Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: XP Firewall sufficient by itself?

Re: XP Firewall sufficient by itself?

Hi again: Firewall: McAfee RULES OK!!! The McAfee firewall test says I am
invisible. XP SP2 is ok for folks that don't want to pay (I hope): As
regards XP SP1 quickest worm infection I have seen is 30 seconds during
connecting to diallup signup!!! Norton IS is a resource hog and increases
boot time by about a minute. Zone Alarm - not tried it but have mentioned it
to clients. PS. Have you tried explaining to retired folk that their new PC
out of the box for 2 days with non activated XP SP2 & NIS needs 20MB of MS
critical updates and 30MB NIS updates @ 4 minutes per MB @ your hourly rate?
I am getting more and more call outs from people who have bought a new PC
and don't know what to do next.
"smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wk1ke.5465$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Hello,
>
> Opinions, please:
>
> Is the XP firewall sufficient enough firewall protection, without using
> any other third-party products?
>
> Am only asking about firewall protection, not virus and spyware
> protection.
>
> Many of the new boxes from Dell, Compaq, and HP, that are running XP SP2,
> also have either McAfee Security or NIS 3-month subscriptions, and, apart
> from the virus protection that they provide, I don't know what the
> incentive is to buy a yearly subsription to either of these programs.
>
> I've been trying to figure out if Mcafee Security or NIS provide any
> better firewall protection than XP SP2.
>
> Then there the other products, most notably Zone Alarm.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks, in advance.
>
> smackedass

AG

"A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d787lh$3rh$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Hi again: Firewall: McAfee RULES OK!!! The McAfee firewall test says I am
> invisible. XP SP2 is ok for folks that don't want to pay (I hope): As
> regards XP SP1 quickest worm infection I have seen is 30 seconds during
> connecting to diallup signup!!! Norton IS is a resource hog and increases
> boot time by about a minute. Zone Alarm - not tried it but have mentioned
> it to clients. PS. Have you tried explaining to retired folk that their
> new PC out of the box for 2 days with non activated XP SP2 & NIS needs
> 20MB of MS critical updates and 30MB NIS updates @ 4 minutes per MB @ your
> hourly rate? I am getting more and more call outs from people who have
> bought a new PC and don't know what to do next.

That's when you pop in your handy dandy MS CD with all the updates on it.
Takes minutes instead of hours.

AG