Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Partitions

Partitions

Andrew

Hello everyone:

I have a question about partitions.

In Meyers' All-In-One A+ Certification book, he writes:

"In Windows 9x/Me and NT/2000/XP, the primary partition is C:, and
that cannot be changed.” Page 397

"An extended partition may have as many logical drives as you wish
(limited to the letters of the alphabet on Windows 9x systems)
enabling a maximum of 24 logical drives on one system (A: and B: are
reserved for floppy drives)." Page 401

How can we have 24 logical drives?? Doesn’t the primary drive take
the letter C, and leave us with only 23 letters and therefore 23
logical drives?

Thx, Andrew

Adam Leinss

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid (Andrew) wrote in
news:42902bb0$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello everyone:
>
> I have a question about partitions.
>
> In Meyers' All-In-One A+ Certification book, he writes:
>
> "In Windows 9x/Me and NT/2000/XP, the primary partition is C:, and
> that cannot be changed.” Page 397
>
> "An extended partition may have as many logical drives as you wish
> (limited to the letters of the alphabet on Windows 9x systems)
> enabling a maximum of 24 logical drives on one system (A: and B: are
> reserved for floppy drives)." Page 401
>
> How can we have 24 logical drives?? Doesn’t the primary drive take
> the letter C, and leave us with only 23 letters and therefore 23
> logical drives?

You are correct.

Rumor has it that drive letters are going away in Longhorn. Should be
interesting!

Adam

Tom MacIntyre

On Sun, 22 May 2005 20:28:11 GMT, Adam Leinss <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid (Andrew) wrote in
>news:42902bb0$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Hello everyone:
>>
>> I have a question about partitions.
>>
>> In Meyers' All-In-One A+ Certification book, he writes:
>>
>> "In Windows 9x/Me and NT/2000/XP, the primary partition is C:, and
>> that cannot be changed.” Page 397
>>
>> "An extended partition may have as many logical drives as you wish
>> (limited to the letters of the alphabet on Windows 9x systems)
>> enabling a maximum of 24 logical drives on one system (A: and B: are
>> reserved for floppy drives)." Page 401
>>
>> How can we have 24 logical drives?? Doesn’t the primary drive take
>> the letter C, and leave us with only 23 letters and therefore 23
>> logical drives?

>You are correct.
>
>Rumor has it that drive letters are going away in Longhorn. Should be
>interesting!
>
>Adam

I am somewhat surprised that an AA, AB, etc., scheme has never
surfaced.

Tom

Yes.

"Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:42902bb0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello everyone:
>
> I have a question about partitions.
>
> In Meyers' All-In-One A+ Certification book, he writes:
>
> "In Windows 9x/Me and NT/2000/XP, the primary partition is C:, and
> that cannot be changed.” Page 397
>
> "An extended partition may have as many logical drives as you wish
> (limited to the letters of the alphabet on Windows 9x systems)
> enabling a maximum of 24 logical drives on one system (A: and B: are
> reserved for floppy drives)." Page 401
>
> How can we have 24 logical drives?? Doesn’t the primary drive take
> the letter C, and leave us with only 23 letters and therefore 23
> logical drives?
>
> Thx, Andrew

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 19:20:37 GMT, "Jerome Stanek" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>If that is true then why don't I have a C: drive on my desktop running Win
>XP Pro. My hard drive is listed as D: I have an A:drive and the cd roms
>are E: and F: no C: listed.

You can name a drive shortcut on the desktop whatever you want it to
be?

Tom

>"Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>news:42902bb0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello everyone:
>>
>> I have a question about partitions.
>>
>> In Meyers' All-In-One A+ Certification book, he writes:
>>
>> "In Windows 9x/Me and NT/2000/XP, the primary partition is C:, and
>> that cannot be changed.” Page 397
>>
>> "An extended partition may have as many logical drives as you wish
>> (limited to the letters of the alphabet on Windows 9x systems)
>> enabling a maximum of 24 logical drives on one system (A: and B: are
>> reserved for floppy drives)." Page 401
>>
>> How can we have 24 logical drives?? Doesn’t the primary drive take
>> the letter C, and leave us with only 23 letters and therefore 23
>> logical drives?
>>
>> Thx, Andrew

bopper2

> Jerome Stanekwrote:
If that is true then why don't I have a C: drive on my desktop
running Win
> XP Pro. My hard drive is listed as D: I have an A:drive and the cd

roms
> are E: and F: no C: listed.
> "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote

in message
> news:42902bb0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello everyone:
>
> I have a question about partitions.
>
> In Meyers' All-In-One A+ Certification book, he writes:
>
> "In Windows 9x/Me and NT/2000/XP, the primary partition is C:, and
> that cannot be changed.” Page 397
>
> "An extended partition may have as many logical drives as you wish
> (limited to the letters of the alphabet on Windows 9x systems)
> enabling a maximum of 24 logical drives on one system (A: and B:

are
> reserved for floppy drives)." Page 401
>
> How can we have 24 logical drives?? Doesn’t the primary drive

take
> the letter C, and leave us with only 23 letters and therefore 23
> logical drives?
>
> Thx, Andrew
> [/quote:4455547d19]

Primary sys is always primary not logical. Therefore the previously
stated 23 logical drives applies now matter what drive letter is
assigned.
Assuming 9x isn't used. Bootable drives as logical are different
issues
in a dual boot scenario.